Grass clippings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
How long after I mow my grass should I wait to let the horses out in it. Its the lawn around the house that is too big to rake but it has the best grass and lately Ive been letting them graze out there a couple of hours a day. Thank you

heidi

If you have big clumps of grass, raise the deck on your mower up a notch and spread the grass out really fine so that it dries quickly. If you have no toxic plants mulched in they should be fine on it, just as normal when you turn them out. My husband mows our pastures with the horses in them so they are on it instantly. He does spread everything out though.

Horses arn't supose to eat grass clippings, im not really sure why. But when its mowed and baged you can let them out but if the mower just leaves the clipping in the yard then im not sure when you can let them out.

I think you can let them out once the clippings are dry because then it is just hay. Right?

I've hard people say something about it fermenting or something. We cut our pasture last week and they ate some right away, but didnt stay eating that suff all the time. I would think it was just like eating hay that was down and drying out. When we were getting ready to take our horses out for summer pasture, we'd cut just enough grass to give them a meal of it (so it wouldnt ferment) once a day til the ygot used to it so when they went out to the pasture 24/7 it wasnt a shock to their system.

Marsha

It's not only the fermenting that you need to be concerned about. They can take in large amounts of that fresh stuff - more in the mouth than just biting and tearing off grass - and it can cause choke or blockage. Will it always happen - No. But can it happen - yes and then you'd be kicking yourself.

Just try to spread out those big clumps of grass or remove them before letting the minis graze.

It's not only the fermenting that you need to be concerned about. They can take in large amounts of that fresh stuff - more in the mouth than just biting and tearing off grass - and it can cause choke or blockage. Will it always happen - No. But can it happen - yes and then you'd be kicking yourself.

Just try to spread out those big clumps of grass or remove them before letting the minis graze.
[SIZE=12pt]Yes, Lisa F. lost a mare to grass choke a few years ago. It doesn't happen often, but once its too often
default_no.gif
[/SIZE]

There are two problems with grass clippings, both mentioned in previous posts.

First, clippings tend to stick together in clumps, making it very easy to eat. This can cause choke or colic due to eating too quickly.

Second, clumps of clippings start to ferment very quickly (basically biodegrading). The fermented product can kill horses. At this point its basically spoiled haylage. Properly prepared haylage is very healthy for horses, as is nicely dried hay, as is fresh grass. Unfortunately clippings don't fall into any of those catagories!

If you don't have clumps, or its mowed down and chopped up, or if the horses prefer the newly-exposed fresh grasses there is nothing to worry about. It would be nice to be able to pull horses off freshly mowed pasture for a day or two but in most cases that's not possible or nessesary.

Thanks ever so much for all the replies. I think I will try to toss around or bag up some of the larger clumps. Then only let them out for short periods of time with a close eye on them. Im thinking I will wait a few days directly after mowing just to be safe......I just feel so bad making them look at all the nice green grass and yet not letting them have any. Thanks again All !! Heidi

Latest posts

Back