Graphic designers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
Help...I love doing graphic work but only own PCs. I have PhotoShop a couple versions of it and even PSP. HOWEVER, I cannot seem to generate images that are higher than 72dpi which is unacceptable for print.

My digital camera needs to take better pictures for starters (is there some way to change this?) and just wondered if there's anyone that does print work off of a PC and what type of software you are using and what does it take to run?

I think I'm about to enter the world of MACs....unless something that works well enough comes along.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Liz

Hi there

I'm sorry i don't understand what you mean...are you trying to just edit a picture and print it? or are you making an add type thing by making a new canvis? you should just be able to crop a photo to the size and dpi you need...or are they not coming out clear at say 300 Dpi? if that is the case then the photos are coming in too small how many mega pixles does your camera have? what size are your photos coming in at? and do you do any croping on your camera?

all digital photos come in at 72 dpi right from the camera. I work at a photography studio and the photographers photos come in at 42x28 at 72. my own photos come in at 41x77 at 72 and most retail comes in around 30x19 at 72 (sometimes smaller) I can print large posters from my and my boss's camera and up to 8x12 from most retail we get.

Liz, you can convert dpi image by image on a PC pretty easily; I have PSP and I know there's an option on there for doing it. We should also be able to change the settings on your camera, assuming that it's not already set at the highest quality it can do. What kind of camera do you have?

Leia

Liz,

Photoshop is virtually the same on Mac and PC -- I've taught university courses on both platforms in the same classroom.

Stormo is correct about images coming in from digital cameras as 72 dpi, but what you have to do is set your camera for the largest possible number of pixels. If the image has enough overall pixels, you can trade resolution for physical size. Open Image Size. Where it says 72 dpi, type in 300 and watch the physical dimensions of the image shrink. If you do not have enough total pixels, creating a higher resolution image will make it extremely small in dimension.

While you *can* enlarge a digital image, you will drastically reduce the quality.

Also -- DO NOT resave your image as a jpeg, as this is a lossy format and your quality will degrade. Once you open it, save it as a Photoshop file or a TIFF. Then, when you're done, you can save the final version as a jpeg if you like (but save it also as a Photoshop file).

If you are getting your images from someone else, ask for the original image with ABSOLUTELY nothing done to it. There are so many bad things that can be done to electronic images that cannot be fixed.

If you want to do quality work for print, I recommend taking a class at the community college, as there are many, many things involved in producing printworthy images. It is far different from producing images for web. Not only dpi, but black point, white point, dot gain, gamma...and little things like using unsharp mask rather than sharpen or sharpen more, or using levels rather than other means of adjusting your greyscale.

There are some very good online tutorials, but you almost have to know what you don't know to take full advantage. You can also get some excellent books in Powell's technical book department.

Then, after you've taken a class and/or read the books, make friends with the person doing the imagesetting at your print shop. They can best tell you what is right for their press. Many supposedly pro designers think they know more and lose out on a lot of expertise.

You also have to consider what page layout program you will use, as documents are rarely done entirely in Photoshop, as it is not really designed for setting large blocks of text or multiple pages. Industry standards for page layout programs are Quark and InDesign, both of which are available on both Mac and PC. Word is NOT considered a professional page layout program -- it's only good for driving graphic designers insane when they have to undo all of the formatting originally done, lol.

All have a rather steep learning curve, yet each is worth its weight in gold, and then some.

Sorry for taking such a shotgun approach -- it is late afternoon, after all!

Feel free to call or email with any questions.

Latest posts

Back