Granulosa (tumors on ovary)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLS

Reaction score
Just had my 8 year old mare ultra sounded this afternoon. I was very suspicious something was very wrong, this mare aborted her foal six weeks early back in March for no apparent reason (foal was vet checked to be normal). Since then she has been exhibiting very unusual behavior and very nervous about things (having her hoofs trimmed) at which were previously routine to her. She has acted as if she has been in heat all summer, but yet the stallion refused to breed her.

Today the ultra sound revealed three tumors on one ovary. My vet has recommended we take her to Guelph University Large Animal Hospital for consultation and possible surgical removal of the infected ovary. Does anyone have advice to offer, or have done this procedure.? I am worried about infection, and would the mare still conceive with one ovary. Or worse, if left untreated, could this develop into cancer. Sadly this is probably our best broodmare and she has only had two awesome foals.

I cant give you any answers But I just wanted to say I hope everything works out well for your mare and I am sorry you are going through this. I would call Guelph and ask them those questions so you are informed as possible before proceeding. Kelly

We have an Arabian mare boarded here and she has tumors (I don't remember what kind). She has become very studish and agressive to everything. Their vet suggested surgery but first they are trying progesterone (sp?) shots to try to help with the agression. It has helped some but not alot. Our vet says that surgery is probably the best option. I believe that they are going to try the surgery in the spring.

We've never experienced that here, but there is quite a bit of information (google) regarding granulosa tumors and treatment options including midline vs flank incisions.

Please let us know how things go with your mare, okay?

Tumors ARE cancer... in this case, luckily, it is not an aggressive cancer or even a dangerous one. Yes, if you IGNORE it they will cause issues which MAY be fatal, but all in all if you have to have a cancer this is a great one to have! Overectomies are VERY commonly done in the breeding world, either for your issue or for creating "tease mares". They are quite rare in the "normal" world though, so not many people are aware of them. Removing an overy is usually quite safe (for an invasive surgery) and the mare can very well continue on to a productive reproductive life. If the other overy is fully functional and the mare's hormones recover (which is usually the case) than there should be no problem having full success breeding. Relax and take your mare in for consultation, the most dangerous part is the surgery itself and that's just because of the fact its surgery.

Please, PLEASE, for your own sake, do NOT confuse this with human ovarian cancer! The equine equivlent of human ovarian cancer is UNHEARD of... that's why mares are used as cancer models in research. If we can figure out why they never have that type of cancer, maybe we can understand human cancer better and possibly develop treatments. Same with testicular cancer in stallions.... again, almost unheard of. If we can figure out why we will have an important piece of information to fight human cancers
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back