Grammar Pet Peeve

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of a stallion is kind of like when I was talking to a rabbit judge and I said I was having a hard time getting my Chinchilla colored Mini Rex producing. He asked if I had old stock and I said "No, I have all bucks". Oops.

My father used to say "yeller" for yellow. He said "Tire" for "Tar" and "Tar" when he was going to get "Tires". Gotta love those ol' Texas boys.

I really hope that some of the people reading this are not the same people that really do struggle with the proper words (their, there that kind of stuff) but I could see it being really hurtful. Some fail to realize not everybody is great at grammar. I am one of those, not offended by this post as it has come and gone several times over the years that I have been here, and I have made huge strides in improving my grammar but it is a HUGE struggle for me. Even after 5 years of college I still struggle with grammar and some of the other proper English stuff.

Just remember it’s not always a finger slip or lack of knowledge but rather that truly do struggle. And as my teacher point out when I do make mistakes that even spell/grammar checks don’t catch everything.

Maybe some people will learn from if. That seems more probable to me than hurt feelings.

Everybody saying how much they dislike it wont teach anybody. The problem is, those that honestly dont know the difference wont learn unless that difference is taught. Took me years to finally get the their/there and the to/too in my head and when to use each.

I have really bad grammer BUT in no way get offended by this at all. I do however laugh and learn from it and then makes me play along cause I am one who used to spell conformation wrong.

I for one see alot (a lot) spelled wrong myself.

Here's another, when folks spell hay instead of hey...

And here's the best of all I have seen, "I have several colt phillies for sale".

Last edited by a moderator:
FUN THREAD!

A couple more of my pet equine peeves are from the new-to-the-horse world or the stuck-in-new types:

Those that own or are selling a "mini pony" (doesn't steam me; because I can always explain to someone face to face the "breed is miniature horse" etc. things)

Those selling a "Welch" pony - grape juice or jelly runs in it's veins, huh?!!!
default_new_rofl.gif

Someone who has a "female" or "male" horse or pony for sale.

The one on craigslist last week who had a miniature stallion (not registered) for sale: "broke good for the kids to ride. And you can breed some cute babies with him." (ouch).
default_nono.gif

The one on craigslist last week who had a miniature stallion (not registered) for sale: "broke good for the kids to ride. And you can breed some cute babies with him." (ouch).

Why would you breed babies with him? cute or otherwise?
default_new_shocked.gif

And don't forget the horses who are broke to "cart good!" I'll admit the one I see most often on the forum is regional- it drives me crazy when someone has "seen/seed" something! As in, "I seen that the other day too."
default_doh.gif
Really people?? Do high schools no longer teach "I saw?"
default_wacko.png
That's a lot like saying you "done something good." Do it well or not at all....

Leia

Or when someone says "He is a direct son of....." Is there an INdirect son of....." out there...maybe "adopted"?? LOL!

This thread is hilarious!
default_laugh.png
I love it and even though I'm a stickler also, I do sometimes make mistakes.

One of my more difficult ones to keep straight is affect vs effect. Does anyone have a good "trick" to help me remember that one? For instance, I always had trouble with dessert vs desert and then someone said "dessert has two "s" because you want MORE! I thought that was great and now I never forget!
default_biggrin.png

Okay, this Craig's List ad I saw posted elsewhere cracked me up...
default_laugh.png

Missouri fox throttle 16.5 hands - $1250 (Alpine Descanso )

Date: 2011-08-29, 2:53PM PDT

Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Missouri fox throttle

16.5 hands not for beginner 1500 with saddle can't keeping no more

May trade for a car or ....?

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
So the fox throttle is 16.5 hands - that means he must really be 17.1??
default_wink.png

Okay, this Craig's List ad I saw posted elsewhere cracked me up...
default_laugh.png

So the fox throttle is 16.5 hands - that means he must really be 17.1??
default_wink.png
What the heck is a FOX THROTTLE???? My tractor has a throttle, but my fox doesn't. Does that mean my fox is broken? And he has NO hands at all! Should I be worried???
default_wacko.png

I have to think a fox throttle could put a new spin on the fox hunting events so popular in my area. Just don't know if it would be an asset to the huntsman or a hinderance.

I have been kind of strict with my niece and nephew with a very common word error. If they are telling me they "saw" something they don't dare tell me they "SOL" it. Also When someone is talking about someone that can not hear and they say that they are "death" when they should say "deaf".

I know I make my share of mistakes but really it is my spell check. Yeah, that's it...my spell check is messing up.

Today I saw an ad for a feely, as in "Yearling feely also sells." I'd love to have a horse that could handle my sales for me, but I'm worried it'll sexually harass the customers.

One of my Psychology professors in college had horrible grammar skills. It always bothered me that someone working in education would make so many simple grammar errors. The following is an email he sent me that I kept for comedic purposes.

Hey Dali,

Wondering if you could pop by my office around 1to grab your assignment. You can pay for your exam fee while you are their to. to bad to hear about youre grampa. Youll still have to write the exam on that day cuz this is the board policy. You should be fine, wrote good last time.

Mr. B
The majority of his emails were almost as bad as this. When he graded my assignments he would write things like, You wrote this part good.

You've all covered just about every peeve, but I just want to say....I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back