Gramma Pony's 29th Birthday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
gma29yrs7rz.jpg

Here she is on her 29th birthday! Dell Terra's Betty. 31.25" tall...color is listed as a palomino pinto, but I believe there is a silver gene at work on her.

gma29yrs17hu.jpg

Sire is Dell Tera's Hippy and she is out of Dell Tera's Margo.

I thought some of you fans would like to see her. I have worked over the last week to clip her and this morning she had a bath and a bit of showsheen and a quick photo shoot.

She was getting disgusted w/it all by the end, though:

gma29yrs20op.jpg

For those of you that don't know "Gramma", she came to us in late 1995 as an unknown giveaway w/a low chance of surviving the winter. She was missing her left eye entirely and her right was cloudy and infected and she was in danger of losing it, also. She was very thin and weak:

gma959ik.jpg

12-95.

We called out the vet and he recommended antibiotics for the eye, some different feed and we isolated her as she was getting bullied from the feed.

Once she got on the sr. feed and isolated from the other horses, she began to gain weight, shed her 6" long winter coat and became a new horse that Spring.

Her eye cleared right up and she can see and hear quite well. Since I was told she was possibly as young as 17 years old, we exposed her to our stallion that July 4.

Gramma was, in fact, 21 years old when she foaled the following Spring.

On May 21, 1997, she gave birth to a red filly,. our Cherry Bomb. Cherry Bomb has gone on to give us four foals, a beautiful red pinto filly(FLash), a black colt (Jack), a silver colt (Mouse) and a palomino colt (Comet).

Gramma has never had anymore foals. But, we learned in late 2003, that our "Gramma" was in fact Dell Tera's Betty! Thanks to Stacy Score, we learned a lot more about our little friend, and learned that she has more foals out there.

Gramma is our resident retiree, foal babysitter and one of our favorite girls. She enjoys her Sr. feed (I think she has about 8 teeth left) and the occasional stale sweet bread her fave being apple fritters.

Thanks for checking in!

Liz M.

Aww, she is one gorgeous "grandma"!!! Be sure to give her lots ot treats and hugs today!!
wub.gif
yes.gif

Awwww what a BEAUTIFUL little girl!!! Just by looking at her in those pics you'd hardly know she was 29 years old...WOW!!!!
aktion033.gif
wub.gif
What a wonderful rescue story....I love the senior citizens!!!
yes.gif

KUDOS TO YOU LIZ!!! For saving your "Diamond In The Rough". She is lovely and would never guess her to be at that ripe ol age
biggrin.gif

birthday.gif
to you
birthday.gif
to you
birthday.gif
dear Betty!!

birthday.gif
TOOOOO YOOOOUUUUUU!!!! AND MANY MOOOOOORRREEEE!!!!

I didn't realize that Gramma and our Fancy Pants are sisters! Those Hippy daughters are long lived! Our Fancy Pants (Dell Teras Fancy Lady) is in her mid thirties...and would DISOWN me if I DARED clip or bathe her
biggrin.gif

Happy Birthday Gramma Pony!

There she is *happy sigh*

She's LOVELY! And you'd never know her age by those photos, you've taken such awesome care of her Liz!

I just love her!
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET GIRL!
aktion033.gif

[SIZE=14pt]HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRAMMA PONY! [/SIZE]

I was just thinking about you the other day.

birthday.gif
birthday.gif
birthday.gif
birthday.gif
birthday.gif
birthday.gif

smile.gif

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I keep thinking back to 1976 and how she must have really been "something" in her day. She was born, after all, before the AMHA existed!
smile.gif

She is definitely a little miffed about all the primping, but since we had never done it, I figured now would be a good time and we've been having hot days.

She will get lots of treats over the day. She is having an AYCE (all you can eat) day w/her own green pasture to relax in and a dish of her sr. feed that will be bottomless! Don't most seniors dig an AYCE Buffet, after all? *LOL*

We will have her special treat, tonight. I will post a few more pics, later, of her just being herself, and letting her hair down.

Laura, that is SO COOL that you have a sister of her! I wondered how many of Hippy's offspring are still alive!

Do you have photos?

Liz M.

What a SWEET girl! She sure has come a long long way in her life. I bet she has some stories to tell.....

She looks like one of those little ones that were "before their time" in the conformation department. And Liz, my dad would say that you have earned a star in your crown in heaven for all of your wonderful care.
yes.gif

MA

gma6970hs.jpg

Here she is one month after foaling, June of 1997. She would have been 21, here, or almost 21.

gma976ym.jpg

This one was taken a month before she foaled in 1996. I thought she looked pretty good, considering what we'd had when she was given to us in 1995. I truly did not think she would make it, and we did not take many photos of her because of that fact. It was a sad sort of thing, but she did a major turnaround, obviously, and truly enjoys her life. (she earned it, I would say!)

Born in North Carolina, and then moved to TX and then to Washington, finally to Oregon, those are just the places I knew that she lived!

Liz M.

Oh Liz, what a wonderful story and isn't she just a grand lady! Give her a hug from us here in NY. Happy Birthday Gramma Betty!

Oh good, make me cry...
crybaby.gif

Liz, she looks GREAT!!! What a blessing for you to have such a wonderful gem in your life...she IS a shining star...
wub.gif

Last week I told Misty-Mama that Gramma Pony's birthday was coming up soon, and she asked me to give her a BIGGGGGG slobbery kiss from her!!!

I'm so glad she is in good health, and may she be by your side for many years to come.

Love,

Liz & Misty

Heehee, Liz, yeah, I tried to cut out the pics where Gramma was drooling. *LOL*

She wanted to graze, and I had to pull lots of strands of grass out of her drooly old lips. But we want to maintain our dignity!

I will tell Gramma she has lots of happy birthday wishes and Misty's is extra special.

I have always been so happy that Gramma has been healthy other than a couple scary choke episodes. I wish that same health for all the other senior minis out there.

Liz

Happy Birthday to a grand old lady.
yes.gif
aktion033.gif
wub.gif

Kudos to you for your love and care of her! She looks great.

Leia

Liz......Gramma Pony looks wonderful!
aktion033.gif
It really does my heart good to see success stories like hers.
yes.gif
And bless you for taking the time to clean her up, clip & get her looking her best for photos....so everyone can see what a magnificent lady she is.
yes.gif
You will always cherish those pictures!

What a very beautiful lady u have there! Congratulations and happy birthday!!!!

She is looking Veryyyy good Liz! Sure doesn't look that old.

Am glad she found you!!
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back