Grain opion..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara

Reaction score
So china gets beatpulp, sunflower seeds, equlizer,and flax seed and glucosamine AM, shes a senior mare should she be on senior feed? is there any opions on what would benafit her as far as her health goes? im not going to make a drastic change of course, even if i do decide to change her grain in anyway it will be slow of course, thanks everyone for your words!
default_smile.png

I have a grain made by HYPONA its especially made for small equines , shetlands and donkeys...It gives everything you need for helath (protien minerals) but for a non working, pony (winter) It has the black sunflower seed, flax, a smashed corn ,oats, wheat , something that looks like a barley , and rice hulls , it looks something like that , its all written in French, but came highly recommended. This spring when I start working them I will have to add another , or change though. back home i gave my shetland a little Nevada grass mixed with alphalfa, rice bran when he was working , and equine adult or Stradegy (has less sugar).I would rather give him a richer diet and work him 4 days a week...he looked great on this , but every horse so totally different. A breeder and judge here swears on just giving 10 kilos of fresh carrots to her kids once a week , and keeping them on grass hay. We dont have Alphalfa here.(Switzerland) so I say ...if your horse looks good keep doing what your doing. Sometimes I give fresh ground beets from our garden, and the Donkey actually walked into the little grocery store down the street one morning and ate about 20 crissonts.
default_unsure.png
I had to pay for them!!

If China is doing well on what you feed, has good teeth and no issues with eating hay, then there is no reason to change her to a senior feed til the time comes when she can't eat hay and isn't doing as well on your current feed program. As they say: if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks for the good morning laugh! I can just imagine a donkey walking into a shop and eating croissants! lol.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

I have a grain made by HYPONA its especially made for small equines , shetlands and donkeys...It gives everything you need for helath (protien minerals) but for a non working, pony (winter) It has the black sunflower seed, flax, a smashed corn ,oats, wheat , something that looks like a barley , and rice hulls , it looks something like that , its all written in French, but came highly recommended. This spring when I start working them I will have to add another , or change though. back home i gave my shetland a little Nevada grass mixed with alphalfa, rice bran when he was working , and equine adult or Stradegy (has less sugar).I would rather give him a richer diet and work him 4 days a week...he looked great on this , but every horse so totally different. A breeder and judge here swears on just giving 10 kilos of fresh carrots to her kids once a week , and keeping them on grass hay. We dont have Alphalfa here.(Switzerland) so I say ...if your horse looks good keep doing what your doing. Sometimes I give fresh ground beets from our garden, and the Donkey actually walked into the little grocery store down the street one morning and ate about 20 crissonts.
default_unsure.png
I had to pay for them!!

default_unsure.png
I had to pay for them!!
Actually, you might have alfalfa, but call it "lucerne". [i think that's the right spelling.]

Latest posts

Back