Gracie's Mini Mommas' To Be Page- All done foaling! Five Healthy Foals!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh I just saw the pic of her jumping! wow she looks great! what lovely form she has! and Elmo is a stunner!! you have too many nice horses I have decided Sandy one has to definitley come live with me
default_smile.png
hehe.

All the mini babies are doing great! The three boys are so much more friendlier than the girls. Not sure why?? Here is a picture taken today when Gracie was out with them. Also Gracie gave Superman and Rocky their first halter breaking session today. She said it went great.

This is Maximous (Margarita's colt,) Rocky and Superman.

Image.jpg

Thank you Cassie!! You just will have to come to the states for a visit!!!!!!
haha I so will!!! I'll have to put a post on here when I take a trip saying "Cassie is coming to the states who wants a visit " hehe.

Gracies boys are just so lovely! I love seeing them together, three of a kind just so cute!! they look like they love Gracie so very much, can we see a new pic of Selena to please? I bet she is getting more and more beautiful!!

Hey there! Question for you experienced pasture breeders. We started teasing Lexi & Fancy who should be coming in to their 30 day heat soon. Both girls get so uptight even though the foals are held at a good distance from Sky (the stallion). I talked to my vet and she said a lot of mini mares will not show heat with a foal at their side and our best bet would be to turn the stallion out with the mares & foals so the mares get more comfortable with Sky being around them and the babies. So tonight we turned Lexi & Fancy out in a large dry field with their foals and turned Sky out with them. Sky was pasture bred his 3 yr old year and settled 2 of 3 mares (those were the foals we lost last year) and then last year we hand bred and teased daily. So Sky has experience with both. As expected the mares are pretty much vicious if Sky gets anywhere near them or their foals. Sky is being a gem and pretty much ignores the foals. Rocky did approach his daddy and Sky was so quiet and sweet acting until Fancy ran over and started firing away with her hind legs. Since I have never pasture bred mares with foals at their sides is this normal behavior and will it simmer down over the next couple days? Sky is keeping his distance and I hope he remains gentle with the babies but I can't help but be worried.

Not sure how right your vet is about not showing heat, maybe it depends on the mare? My three certainly showed strongly from thier foal heat (which I don't breed on) through to the heats where I did breed. Or maybe my mares are tarts
default_whistling.gif

If your stallion already has a safe history of running with mares and foals then I think it unlikely that he will turn. As for the mare she might settle down or she might continue to drive him off. As long as no one is at risk you can probably give them some time and see what happens.

I disagree with what your vet said about minis, I have never had any problem breeding mares with a foal at foot both in hand or pasture. To me it sounds like they just aren't ready to breed yet, give them a few more days and they will be all over him. As to whether your foals are safe out with dad I can't say as I don't know your stallion but I have never had to worry about my stallion in fact he is a great baby sitter as he doesn't eat much and he gets bored, playing with his kids keeps him happy
default_smile.png

Not sure how right your vet is about not showing heat, maybe it depends on the mare? My three certainly showed strongly from thier foal heat (which I don't breed on) through to the heats where I did breed. Or maybe my mares are tarts
default_whistling.gif

If your stallion already has a safe history of running with mares and foals then I think it unlikely that he will turn. As for the mare she might settle down or she might continue to drive him off. As long as no one is at risk you can probably give them some time and see what happens.
He has never ran with mares AND foals, only with mares. He does not at all seem aggressive towards them and in the past has ran with our mini gelding who is the same size as he is but the gelding is the boss of the stud. LOL! If they are going to be aggressive towards the foals are they usually right off the bat?

I disagree with what your vet said about minis, I have never had any problem breeding mares with a foal at foot both in hand or pasture. To me it sounds like they just aren't ready to breed yet, give them a few more days and they will be all over him. As to whether your foals are safe out with dad I can't say as I don't know your stallion but I have never had to worry about my stallion in fact he is a great baby sitter as he doesn't eat much and he gets bored, playing with his kids keeps him happy
default_smile.png
Thats sort of what I figure. We are a few days yet away from 30 days post foaling but after speaking with my vet and to be honest our very busy schedule the next month, I thought I would give it a try. Daily teasing and hand breeding as you all know is a ton of work and last year it literally ran our lives. Our stallion is very quiet and gentle and sometimes takes forever to breed a mare as he has to wine them and dine them. My gut tells me that he will be great with the foals but I just want to be careful.

Sandy I wouldn't leave him out with the babies day and night until you know for sure that he is o.k about them. Sit during the day and watch his behaviour from a safe distance for a few days. He could be good now and then get over excited when the mares are ready to breed.

Hi There! We have been running busy! I actually made a quick three day trip to Southern Oregon to go see our 3 year old colt that is in reining training up there. I had not seen him since January and the next month is booked solid, so it was last minute. He is my show mare's oldest foal, so we are really excited about him and hope he follows in his mom's hoof prints.

Make It A Bud (Nic It In The Bud x Make It With A Twist) 3 yr old AQHA gelding

IMG_3307.JPG

Sky is now out full time with Fancy and Lexi and their two colts. The girls are both showing signs of heat yet do not let him near them that we have seen. At least I can keep an eye on their cycles as I am sure they will eventually except him. Sky is AWESOME with his babies. The two boys run all around him and he does not care at all. We will be turning out Angel and her filly with them soon.

It appears that the boys are way more friendlier and easy to deal with in comparison to the fillies. The boys you have to beat off with a stick, the girls you have to trap them and catch them to handle and they fight like a wild mustang for awhile. I will try and get some updated pictures of the kids. They are all fat and sassy and looking real good. How many of you do a face and neck clip on your foals?

HI Sandy-

Can't wait to see updated photos! We did a head and neck clip (and chests) on our foals when the temps got into the 90's here and the babies were sweating. Next hot spell they didn't get sweaty. Of course we also got to find out the "new" colors on all three: 2 very dark bays and one going gray but not gray YET. All three of ours (2 girls, 1 boy) are equally friendly including the one with the untrusting mother.

I know what you mean about the teasing /breeding taking over your lives, but we "think" we got off easy this year. We teased Toffee for 3 days, then Buckshot told us she was in heat(by sticking his head in the stall window) and we started breeding her every other day. Then we decided to breed a second mare (maiden) and she came in heat that day, so we alternated her with Toffee. About one week later we were DONE - until one of them comes back in of course!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandy your quarter horse gelding is gorgeous!!! I love him!

hope all your mares go back into foal for you
default_smile.png
and I think you should have them up on camera next year for us to watch
default_smile.png

can we see some new piccies and maybe a video of your babies? pretty plesae?

Hi guys!! I am so sorry, we have been so busy. First it was foaling out the 5 mini mares, then it was our county 4-H horse show & gymkhana that I was show manager of and not to mention my daughter and several of my 4-H kids in my group showed at. Then it has been preparing for my private girls horse camp that starts this next Tuesday, but fury we have Sacramento Horse Expo that my husband and I both have booths at for the next three days. Oh and the end of the school year to boot. I am exhausted and about brain dead. LOL!

All the mom's and babies are doing great. Fancy, Lexi and Angel are all out with our stud and all three are in heat. We have seen him breeding Lexi & Fancy but he is saying "no" to Angel at the moment, so I assume she is not ready for covering. Early next week I will turn the other two mares out with the herd. I am only going to allow SKy to be with the mares until the end of the month then pull him as it is getting so late. Whoever does not take we will breed earlier next year. Sky is absolutely amazing with his babies!! Tonight I saw him nuzzling and scratching Superman. It was the most sweetest thing. It warmed my heart so much!! One of these days I will take current pictures.

I forgot I took these the other night of Superman & Rocky. They are filthy dirty and they are not very good as our pasture is gone and we are on dry dirt now. We do not have irrigation water so our pastures are seasonal
default_sad.png

ALSO... if you go to my Facebook page (Sandy Swafford Bentien), I uploaded a video off of my phone of Superman and my husband. I made the video public so I think you can view it. I tried to upload it here, but it does not work. Not sure why??

Image 1.jpg

Image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
oh Sandy that you for updating us!! and those pics are just gorgeous! what lovely show stances they both have
default_smile.png
so cute! definitley going to check out FB for you video!! :D

Wow Sandy and Gracie, You have some beautiful foals. I'm so happy for you both and thrilled that all has worked out good for you this year. You have both made us so happy that you have our girls. It is so quite here but Cody is doing great being the only horse and totally spoiled.

Formally Lonesome Dove Ranch and home of Fancy, Margarita and Pearl, Now in the loving arms of Gracie.

Latest posts

Back