Gracie's Mini Mommas' To Be Page- All done foaling! Five Healthy Foals!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is just an exquisite little guy -- and it looks like he'll be having someone to play with REALLY soon!!!
Thank you Diane! You do not think he is a dwarf do you? He is so tiny and his head is kind of big. Am I just being a worry wart? I have never had mini foals to pick apart conformation wise and while we think he is just gorgeous with nice refinement for a little guy, we really do not know how to judge mini babies. So PLEASE feel free to evaluate him for us and help us learn. You will not hurt my feelings and I would love to hear everyones opinions so we can become more educated on these minis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are being a worry wart. That baby is not a dwarf -- he is just a tiny little boy. My last filly here was 17" and a colt at 17". There is nothing dwarf about him -- he's just going to be a gorgeous "A" mini !!!
OK, I feel much better! Thank you for reassuring us. With our stallion being un-proven and our hopes that he does produce nice babies for both show and companionship, one can dream, right? If he ends up being a show prospect, we will show him at halter as a baby until he sells. We want to market them and prove them if there is any potential that one could make a in hand show horse.

He is just adorable, his markings are so intense that I think he will really stand out in the show ring
default_yes.gif
and NO he doesn't look anything like a dwarf so not to worry.

He is definitely going to have a friend very soon
default_thumbup.gif

He is gorgeous Sandy - no dwarfy looks! I do think that the long white 'mark' running under his jaw and on to his neck, makes his head appear 'longer' than it probably is - a sort of optical illusion! As he grows every thing will blend in and you will get an overall picture of his perfect colouring. (not sure I'm saying this very well, but i know what I mean LOL!!)

Fancy is going to be giving him a little friend VERY SOON!!
default_yes.gif

He looks VERY leggy to me, especially for one with a 5.5 " cannon bone and only 17.5" tall. He also looks like he might be homozygous for tobiano??? Lucky you if he is!!

Fancy foaled at 7:45am. Loud sorrel & white BIG colt! 7.5" cannon & like 22" tall or so. Everything went normal. Gracie was able to do everything herself with instruction. Colt was up, nursing & passing meconium in 45 minutes. Fancy still hardly has an udder but has milk. It tested good on refratormeter. Pictures later after 4-H meeting!

WOW!! Babies are popping out all over the place this weekend LOL!!

MANY CONGRATULATIONS!! Well done Gracie and Fancy!
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp

Cant wait to see the pictures!

Congrats on (another) highly anticipated and long awaited foal!!

Glad everything was normal this time around! Can't wait to see pics of the new guy!!

I bet you and Gracie are on cloud 9!! Man, I wish Mary would show me this baby of hers! Lexi gave you exactly what I am wanting haha!

Congrats!!!! Lots of foals arriving! yay!

Congratulations Fancy! good job Gracie too. Since he was born on Kentucky Derby day you should name him after the winner. Or just Derby.

Give her a big kiss from her old mom.

Congrats!!! I am so glad to hear this news - great job Gracie!!!!

Sounds like normal size to me though, and not BIG. Big (to us) is our colt with an 8.5" cannon bone!!! This one sounds like the same size as our Bunny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry it has taken me so long to post pictures of Fancy's baby. Talk about a crazy day and if I had to tell you about it, it would take me almost all day
default_thud.gif

Here is Fancy's story.... We were up early this morning because my farrier had re-scheduled from yesterday to first thing this morning. Gracie had just gotten dressed and I was still in my PJ's and just sat down to enjoy a cup of coffee before the farrier would get there. I had just checked Fancy on the camera and she was eating just as she was 15 minutes before that. Neither Gracie nor I had checked her udder yet and late the night before I had done an udder check and could not get anything, not even a tiny drop out of it and her hooha, while big, was not red inside. So we were really not expecting a foal since there were not changes. The only thing I can say that was different was that the night before and last night, she did not lay down but for a short period of time and not flat. So back to the coffee.... just sat down and had a couple sips when the foaling alarm went off and Gracie went to check the monitor and said "Fancy is just napping, laying flat". That triggered an alarm in my brain because Fancy does not lay flat in the mornings, so I asked Gracie to watch her for a second and she said she was just resting. Still not convinced I made Gracie go out and check her. When I heard feet running back to the house I knew what was happening... "MOM!! Fancy is pushing"! All chose broke loose and sweatshirt was thrown on and tennis shoes with no socks and out we went. Fancy was down and amnionic sac was present. I checked foal position and came across a hoof and a nose and on more palpating I found the second hoof over the head. Since Fancy was so quiet, I had Gracie then do her first presentation check which she did very willingly and I quizzed her through it asking her what she felt and what that would typically be. I then had her feel the second hoof over the head and I then told her I was going to try and fix that leg where it should be. I was easily able to correct it and it helped Fancy deliver easier. Gracie applied the traction of assisting Fancy and the delivery was quick and easy. This foal ring tested a colt, so we are 3 for 3 with the ring test (included my QH mare)
default_yes.gif
. He seemed so huge in comparison to Superman and he does make Superman seem so small. Luckily Fancy did get her milk in but her udder is still small, even tonight. However his IgG was great! Since he seemed to be nursing all the time my vet suggested milking Lexi the milk cow and trying to feed him. If he sucked hungrily it meant he was not getting enough and if he was not interested, it would mean he was getting plenty. So we did that and he was not at all interested in what was in the bottle. My vet did swing by later to draw a coggins on a QH colt of mine and she said he looked like he was 2 weeks old already. I can't help but agree. He is so strong. He was up and ready to nurse. He has been one of the easiest foals to get to nurse. His first nurse he was switching from nipple to nipple like and expert. Fancy is a good mother, but not obsessive like Lexi. She still likes her food. It is hard to believe that he is a "normal" mini size since he seems twice as big as Superman. I do not think he will have blue eyes, if anything he may have partial blue. He has a fluffy coat and the straightest legs. We could not be more happier with what our stallion is producing.

Also since this colt is so strong, we moved him and Fancy down to our "back-up" stall with no camera to bring in Jasmine (the little buckskin mini that is dues next) in. Jasmine has a decent udder with plenty of clear-yellow fluid coming out. She is 327 days today. I milk tested her tonight and it only tested one line on the Predict-A-Foal strips. I feel better bringing her in.

Without further ado.... here is Rocky~

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1975.JPG

He's amazing!! I am so jealous of your foals, they are exactly what I am hoping to get!

So glad to hear everything went according to plan- and how nice that Gracie got to help and learn! I bet she is a very happy girl right now!

Well, I can't wait to see Jasmine and her foal when it arrives!!

Congrats again
default_smile.png

ahhh what a real cutie, Your stallion sure passes on his beautiful head
default_yes.gif
I agree about him looking 2 weeks old already, it is such a relief when they come old good and strong
default_thumbup.gif

Latest posts

Back