Governors Mansion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
I just came in from the barn so haven't heard the entire story, but my husband said someone has burned down the governors mansion in Austin. Very old, lovely historic building downtown across from the state capitol - and it is definitely arson. I can't understand what posseses people to do things like this, they have destroyed an important part of the history of Texas.
default_no.gif

Jan

I saw that story on the news, too, Jan. Said the mansion was undergoing renovation, so the furnishings had been removed, and of course, your governor and family weren't there...

I believe it is a sign of one of the WORSE deteriorations of our society, the rampant senseless VANDALISM that occurs...there is a GENERATION of people now in adulthood, and others following, who haven't been raised with ANY regard for ANYONE else, only themselves. They were either ignored, and/or overindulged by those SUPPOSED to be responsible for turning them into decent, productive members of society, and are filled with hatred and resentment of others, 'just because'...I personally find it frightening for the future of our country.(If this sounds like a rant--well, it IS! I feel VERY dismayed by the whole issue....)

The news story said that much of the wood of which the mansion was built(I heard the term 'long leaf pine'??) was irreplaceable....I have to wonder if there was proper security around the site, as it was unoccupied? It is a SAD fact of modern life that NOTHING of 'value' can ever be left unguarded or without being 'tightly' secured anymore.

Believe me, I YEARN for the 'good old days' of MY youth, when I could and did get on my horse, rode ALL OVER our rural and widespread 'neighborhood' with my riding buddies, or even, alone, without concern. We are a sadder world for the loss of that freedom and safety.

Here's hoping that something of the historic mansion CAN be salvaged---AND,that the sorry SOB who did this is both caught and SUITABLY punished! I am a long time New Mexican, but I was BORN in Texas, had lots of family there, and hold a special fondness for the state!!

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
You hit the nail on the head Margo. Vandalism/senseless destruction is just beyond me, and I couldn't agree with you more about the effect of this pervasive attitude on this country.

Jan

Latest posts

Back