gotta love second opinions...i sure do

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
Today's visit at the cancer surgeon has lifted this large black cloud (and I've stopped crying, too). He said that a mastectomy was overkill and that he'll do a lumpectomy followed by a five day course of radiation. The actual procedure will be done thru a tube with a "basket" like device on the end. The basket sorta expands to about an inch around (20 cm actually) and removes that much tissue. He'll withdraw the basket and place a balloon like thing in the cavity. Then I go home until the pathology results come in. (about 3 days - give or take). If it shows the margins are clean, then I come back and he'll trade the balloon for a tube like thing. It'll extend out of my breast and that is what the radiation gets put in. I'll have two treatments a day, six hours apart. Then the tube come out, he rechecks everything and I'm done. There will be a bunch of followups, of course, but I get to keep my breast. What a relief. I will, however, not be able to come home for a week because we live so far from the hospital. There is a place just for people like me, called Hope House (or something like that) that was created especially for this sort of thing. We are like....oh.....2 hours from the hospital and so I can't really go back and forth twice a day. I didn't ask what any of this is going to cost, I probably don't want to know.

The doctor was wonderful. He gave me a business card - and wrote his cell phone number on it, just in case I had any questions or concerns. Can you believe that? The nurse-practitioner was the same - awesome.

They will call probably next week with a time table for all this. They have to coordinate the surgeon, the radiologist and the oncologist in addition to the Hope House place.

So even though I have cancer, I feel a whole lot better about all this than I did after visiting with the local surgeon.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm actually smiling (for the first time since the original diagnosis). I get to keep all my original equipment (so to speak). I'm doing the happy dance (I'm not singing along with it because that is NOT pretty).

AWESOME news!! I can "hear" the relief in your post!
default_thumbup.gif

Sounds like they have new proceedures just in the last 10 years. So happy to hear about your second opinion. I know you have a lot less stress now. Keeping you in thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is wonderful news. My mind told me that the doctor that wanted to get you in for him to perform surgery was not up to speed, whether not as well trained as the doctor at the breast center or either being well experienced in getting people in to line his pocket book. Not that I am personally accusing him of anything. Not all doctors are equal in training or sadly in honesty. I recently read an article about a doctor that had been getting rich by telling people they had cancer who really did not. So bottom line is when we are dealing with our own bodies we want a doctor that we have faith in. Sounds like you have found yours. I was praying that you would. Now I will pray for your treatments to be successful and for you to reduce the stress this is placing on you so that you may heal.
default_pray.gif

That is wonderful news!!!!!!!! So happy you got that second opinion and it was a better report!!

snoppyDance.jpg

Glad you got a 2nd Opinion! Keeping you in my thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back