Got the tree down before it came down on stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
Here we have the dead tree that was already dropping limbs over in my stallion's pen. The drought took its toll a number of trees in Bowie County Texas as well as other counties. This tree was inches from my stallion's pen. I watched it this winter as bark fell from it like snow falling from the sky. This spring it was starting to drop its top limbs. Luckily none of them hurt anyone or any of the animals. One morning around 4:30 while I was feeding before getting ready for work I was in the other nearby pen which is on the far side of the metal building a limb fell from the tree. It was the type limb that would pierce whatever it hit. The tree grew in the woods behind our fence but it would be debatable if it was on the neighbor's property or ours. We knew we came forward from the property line when we built our fence so that we could skip putting fence behind the building so we likely own some footage beyond the fence. The neighbor was not even aware until recently that she owned the woods. She got her property which was basically a rundown old abandoned farm house, an old mobile home that had seen its meth cooking days, and a bit of acreage in a foreclosure sale. We were aware that a deceased judge who was as crooked as they come had actually stolen property from previous owners of our place by having the property line changed back when he owned what is now her property and that we likely could get part of the woods but just couldn't care less. So the neighbor was inquiring who owned the woods between us and her and the tax office told her she apparently did due to the fact that she was paying the taxes on it. We told her she was welcome to hook onto our fence when she clears the place and gets ready to fence it for horses but that once our place sells the next people might find out they own a bit more when a survey is done. So anyway she had plans to go ahead and get the tree cut down as well as others on her place. Her daughter's significant other cuts trees but they lived somewhere else and would be coming for a visit. Then he got work cleaning up Joplin after the tornado. So recently I asked again about getting the tree down. It seems the guy is spending some time in jail. Oh well, just my luck. So since we wanted our pesky sweet gum trees cut and had some oak trees on our place already dead or near dead we just decided to get that tree cut and got permission to let it fall on her property (still debatable who owns that footage as well). You can see from the pictures how dangerous the situation was getting.

Here are pix of the stump and the downed tree.

001.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPGHere is the shed. The tree stump is to the right of it behind the fence.

Metal building attaches to shed. 011.JPG My stallion in the pen. 012.JPG

Wow, too close for comfort there! So many dead trees this year around here too, it's so sad. Luckily, I have no trees to worry about in the horse areas as they were removed some years ago to give me as much pasture I could get when I had big horses.

Don't you just hate those DANG GUM BALLS!!!!!! I got em all over! LOL Surely we can think of some creative money making business for the dang things!

It has been a real mess! I know 2 of the trees had to be on state property. I called the DOT about them. They said they were coming back a second time to see if they were in the right of way or on my property. Well shock of shockers, they WERE on my property. I had them cut. Now the huge tree I pass by every day on my way to work that is about to fall in the road is debatable. I know this because I inquired. But anyway, the state is two counties away clearing trees and has been since January. So If you hear I got killed by a falling tree just throw some gas on the fire for me please and help my husband sue. Our state money is likely better spent in food stamps and Medicaid than trivial matters of safety issues of those folks working to pay for vehicles, gas, insurance, groceries,taxes, and safe highways. God help us. And people wonder about those of us that are seeking to be off the grid or preppers????? Ok, jumping off the soapbox.

Latest posts

Back