Got Shooter's AMHR papers back

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
I sent in pictures of him along with his reg. papers. After seeing MANY Silver Buckskins, I was very surprised to see this on his papers!!! He looks nothing like a Silver Buckskin in colour. If they coloured him wrong, what can I do to get this changed?????? Here is a pic of him...I am really confused
wacko.gif
...Theresa

jul31462.jpg

aug28773.jpg

Very interesting. Are those the pictures that they based his color on? Did you leave it up to them to make the decision on the color?

I would send the papers back with pictures showing his dam, as well, and tell them that you believe he is the same color as she is. What color is SHE listed as?

Magic said:
Very interesting.   Are those the pictures that they based his color on?   Did you leave it up to them to make the decision on the color?I would send the papers back with pictures showing his dam, as well, and tell them that you believe he is the same color as she is.   What color is SHE listed as?

462051[/snapback]

We requested on his papers Line backdun buckskin

She is listed as a Buckskin

His Sire is in my avatar, listed as a dark bay

The pic of just him is one of 10 pics I sent in. 3 of the pics I sent in had him and his dam in them...DARN IT!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My little guy has color almost EXACTLY like yours and he's registered as a dun/grullo. His parents are grey and sorrel. AMHR originally registered him as a black leopard appaloosa and we just called to change the color and sent in pictures.

FifiandGoliathanythingforus.jpg

There is no way that he can be a silver anything since neither of his parents are silver. He is a bay dun. I wouldn't use the term buckskin necessarily since that is associated more with the creme gene and I don't think he has that.

crponies said:
There is no way that he can be a silver anything since neither of his parents are silver. He is a bay dun. I wouldn't use the term buckskin necessarily since that is associated more with the creme gene and I don't think he has that.
462059[/snapback]

Even though his dam is a Buckskin??? And his Gr. sire was a buckskin also? And where does the "line back" dun fall into place??
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Well, the term buckskin has kind of "evolved" in meaning as coat color genetics have been studied and better understood. I wouldn't call his dam buckskin either. She looks dun to me also. Go read these pages at equinecolor.com and maybe that will help, after all I'm just looking at these 2 pictures:

dun

cream

rockin r said:
crponies said:
462059[/snapback]

Even though his dam is a Buckskin??? And his Gr. sire was a buckskin also? And where does the "line back" dun fall into place??
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

462067[/snapback]

His Dam isn´t buckskin but a bay-dun, those are very often confused.
wink.gif

Sorry, I guess I had the white guard hairs backwards. I was thinking they were associated with dun not creme but after looking at those pages, I was remembering wrong. So maybe they are buckskin and not dun. Does the dam have a dorsal or any other dun factors? They could have both too in which case they would be dunskins.

In *that* picture of the mare, she doesn't look at all buckskin (but we all know how misleading pictures can be-- the colt looks like a totally different color in those two pics).

Dun is also a "diluting" gene, which could make them "look" buckskin.

The most definitive way to know for sure would be to have him tested for the cream gene. I"m sure that there is no test for dun tho...

Range, your colt does look grulla, but grulla is just a shade of dun. As for the color of his parents, I am betting the sorrel must have actually been a red dun. He MUST have at least one one dun parent to be a dun.
yes.gif

crponies said:
Sorry, I guess I had the white guard hairs backwards. I was thinking they were associated with dun not creme but after looking at those pages, I was remembering wrong. So maybe they are buckskin and not dun. Does the dam have a dorsal or any other dun factors? They could have both too in which case they would be dunskins.
462072[/snapback]

My husband keeps saying he is a Dunskin..Shooters dam has a definate dorsal stripe..She has a black stripe that starts in her forlock and runs all the way thru , to the bottom of her tail. Also in the dams background there are alot of listed "Buckskins"

Do I have to have Shooter tested to be listed as a Dunskin???

Here is a pic of his dams back..

Jul1268.jpg

rockin r said:
Do I have to have Shooter tested to be listed as a Dunskin???
I don't think they will accept Dunskin as a color anyway for registration purposes, BUT, if you want to know for sure, the only way to find out would be to have them(dam and him) tested for cream. Positive=Dunskin, negative=dun

Magic said:
In *that* picture of the mare, she doesn't look at all buckskin (but we all know how misleading pictures can be-- the colt looks like a totally different color in those two pics).Dun is also a "diluting" gene, which could make them "look" buckskin.

The most definitive way to know for sure would be to have him tested for the cream gene.  I"m sure that there is no test for dun tho...

462075[/snapback]

The pic of just Shooter by himself is more to his true colour..

The pic of his dam in her stall is also more to her true colour.

They are not quite as golden as the pic makes them look...

I don't think there is any question...your colt is a DUN (and most probably a "grulla" shade of Dun). You can very clearly see the primitive "DUN" leg barring & dorsal. Buckskins do NOT have leg barring unless they also carry the Dun gene.

Edited: Sorry...I was looking at Range's colt when I posted this. I do not see any leg barring on "Shooter". So...he could be a Dun or a combination Dunskin. But for registration purposes...I would put DUN. (since they don't accept Dunskin).

Last edited by a moderator:
Range - I agree with Mona that your colt is a grullo.... my favourite colour BTW...
biggrin.gif

Is the silver dapple in the background related??

If his parents were a true grey and sorrel - then as Mona said - one must have been a shade of dun.... either the grey started out as one - and then greyed out as the coat became whiter so you could not tell... or the sorrel was indeed a red dun. In the past I have worked with two "sorrel" mares - that is what they were registered as - who were obviously red duns... leg barring, darker head and legs, wide, distinct dorsal stripes etc.
wacko.gif

That is why you never let a registury pick a color.

I have a mare that is a creme buckskin, she look similar color to your colt but no black points. Her mother was a true dun, black legs and mane and tail. Her sire a red and white pinto.

I am curious why the color on the reg papers would be a big deal?? One of my other mares is listed as the wrong color but I never gave it a second thought? This has gotten me wondering??

Latest posts

Back