GOT MY SECOND MINI!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Today was the Mt. Hope ohio horse auction. My dad and i left around 10 this morning and got there around noon. Didnt see to many horses we liked so i went to look at the mini's (since there wasnt many there when we first came in). There were some really good ones. There was this black gelding and palimino mare in the corner by the door that i was in love w/. They were a little skiddish. My dad said he would buy them if they didnt go for more then $200 a peice. So we hung around untill around 5:30 when they started selling the mini's/ponies. I spent most of my time giving water to this mini. I didnt care to much for the mare ..but the gelding i fell in love w/. Well it came time for them to go through and they sent them through together. Little boys riding them ..well they sold the mare for $320 ..but that didnt bother me. We didnt get her. Then they put the gelding through ...we got him for $250. He is really sweet ...leads good. Could be a potention halter show horse. Just needs some muscle put on him.

He is a 2 (or 3) year old black gelding. Broke to ride and green Broke to drive. Not registered but his father is AMHA registered. We had one heck of a time loading him. When we succeeded in getting him into the trailer he lost it and started jumping and rearing. Luckly i sweezed out of it but he kept jumping and putting his legs through the bars. So we had to tie him down so he couldnt bc we knew he would break his legs if we had not. So he layed down all the way home. Were heading back to Mt. Hope sometime next week to get a show halter and a saddle. We are starting a business where we give pony rides at partys/reunions ext. Doing some internet adds and making some signs and hanging up locally. We are going to get a couple more over the next couple month. prob wont do anything big untill after the fair starts and i get into school and it gets going along.

Stuff i got today for our first show.

-mane&tail show shine

-small facial brush

-horse/pony eye drops

-Hoof Sparkle glitter paint

-Hoof paint remover

-New blue halter to show off his eyes.

i will post pics of him my new one soon.. We are naming him zeus i think. I really love that name and am 100% that is what it is going to be. He does need a little work w/ some stuff but nothing to big. He needs a bath (which im dreading after seeing how coco reacted). Next two weeks of my life are going to be all about 2 little miniaturehorses. Not complainging
biggrin.gif
wub.gif

That is so cool! Congrats and good luck at your show!

Okay will prob have pics tommarow night. Im planning on bathing him (god help me!) tommarow after megans party at 2pm-3pm. Then taking pics and doing a little training and walk him around the yard ..maybe introduce him to coco. Clean stalls and then take pics when they are dry.

He has a very untamed mane. Then agian i managed to tame coco's ...wowza you should have seen that mess. Took a couple weeks but im sure this will be easy!. Okay well pics tommarow!

Congratulations on your new mini!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

He sounds like a real cutie and I would love to see pics as soon as you get them! Black is one of my favorite colors (of course, I would have loved the palomino too)

One thing I'd like to mention is please don't introduce him to Coco yet, especially since he came from an auction/sale barn (Nothing wrong with that, some of my best AQHA mares came from auctions and I got fantastic deals!) but there are so many viruses and bacteria he could have picked up that it is in your best and Coco's best interest to quarantine Zeus (love the name!) for at least 10-14 days to be sure. It can be a disaster and you can wind up with 2 sick horses instead of 1 and plus twice the vet bills.

Believe me, I speak from experience - my close friend does not believe in quarantining her horses. At least she didn't until 5 months ago. An app gelding (big horse)that she purchased from a sale barn who I delivered for her because her truck was in the repair shop came down with strangles within a week of purchase. Because she didn't quarantine him, 21 of her 30 horses came down with strangles. Her vet bill for her reining horse alone was $700!!!! He was hit the worst and things got complicated because he also got a tick borne disease at the same time. Her business (she sells riding horses) came to an abrupt halt right through the best part of the sales season. To make matters worst, the strangles could still appear in the remaining horses as affected horses have been known to shed stangles cells (to put it simply) for up to 9 months after the infection.

Sorry didn't mean to go on and on, just wanted to impress upon you the importance of the quarantine of a new horse (I do this regardless where I've bought my new horse from) and save you from any heartache from seeing both your babies sick.

If anyone agrees/disagrees about this please post - I don't really mean to stick my nose in here and rain on anyone's parade (I know, I know! very cliche!)

Anyways, have fun giving him a bath
smile.gif
- I have a feeling that you are going to get as wet as he is!
smile.gif
But that's not such a bad thing in this horrible heat we are having!

Last edited by a moderator:
I 100% Agree with MountainViewMiniatures.

You do not know what your new guy could have picked up at the auction. It is best to keep them separated for a few weeks.

congratulations!!!

remember you can't use glitter at a show.

Robin

aktion033.gif
Yea!! That is great! Are you going to Sugar Creek next this coming Friday?

Fran

Well we had to build a stall today in our pony barn bc our cow barn is infected w/ ring worm at the moment and keeping him down there just last night gave me the jitters. They gave him a shot of penisilin (excuse the spelling) and a shot of some other thing that is requrid. We are just going to keep them in there stalls for a couple days and let them get use to seeing each other.

Robin1 Posted Today, 03:45 AM   congratulations!!!

remember you can't use glitter at a show.
Dont worry ...'dress your exhibited animal contest' is the only thing im using it w/. Just to add a little 'humph' to the look.

Didnt get to give baths bc we had to go to Lowes to get wood and nails (god forbid dad look for a nail!
new_shocked.gif
Didnt get to do that ...had friends over. So no pics today. I was going to gey my camera and get some pics about 1/2 an hour ago but it was to dark in our barn so they wouldnt come out anyway (plus he is black ..sooo it wasnt looking to promising lol).

Today i was walking him and brushing him and getting him use to being touched and messed around w/ in areas he isnt use to (belly ...feet ...legs ...butt ...other areas
wink.gif
. And i put my hand under 'there' and was feeling. (i always do this just in case). I couldnt check at the auction ..but today i was feeling and i could swear that im feeling a 'ball' back there. They said he was cutt but im feeling one. Maybe it had not dropped yet and since he is only 2 yrs old they might have cutt him early. I dont know whether to just let it go ..or get him to a vet. Might also explaine why he is so skinny and has no muscle it seems.

I know they nvr messed w/ cleaning his feet. We are getting him there ..but prob wont get to do to much untill after the fair ends.

fran_myers Posted Today, 05:19 AM   Yea!! That is great! Are you going to Sugar Creek next this coming Friday?

Fran
I cant go this week ..or next. I just found out it was every friday though a friend who sold a barrel horse there last friday. I will probaly go sometime soon though. IDK ..we might go this friday but i have just to much to do now so close to the fair ..next week is the fair ..and week after that i start school and will be in school on fridays!
no.gif
If i go anytime soon it will be this friday

OH YEAH ..NAME CHANGE. not ZEUS anymore ..its now Rocky/Rocko!! staying the same now.

aktion033.gif
Well congratulations on your new mini! How exciting.

I really like the name Rocky...I think that you should stick with that one. (I am a little biased though because my dog's name is Rocky, lol)

Can't wait to see pics!
yes.gif

You need to get that testicle checked ASAP!!!! If he was sold at Auction as a gelding you have a limited time to lodge a complaint- I would get your Dad to do it anyway, pending a Vet check. You should at least get the gelding paid for by the Auction house. How big is this guy- we need more details
smile.gif

Okay UPDATE:

As for the 'gelding ..but not being a gelding' situation. Dad checked it out and about 3 of his friends did and we are 100% sure that is a testicle we are feeling. I called Mt Hope today and complained but they said there was nothing they could do w/out contacting the owner first. They said they would contact then within the next week and get back to me. Dad said he is not paying to get another one gelded. But im not sure if thats even worth worrying about ...being that im not to sure about 'rocko' here.

He seems to skiddish. Coco wasnt that bad when we got him and i got it out of coco ..now he wants to love on everyone he meets and lick them. Rocko tho ..he is a major kicker ..3 wholes in the barn last night. 1/2 nocked down one of the 2by4's we spent hours putting up and on top of that he is try to jump out of his stall 24/7. Its as high as i can go ..but he wont give up. Coco is being a doll about this. He just stands there and looks on. Im worrie dhe will see this horse doing that and start it himself. So i think im going to feed him ...give him a bath and take care of him. Maybe calm him down and get him use to ppl a little and next month take him back to mt. hope. Tame that mane and paint his hooves. Might bring a lot more then we payed for him. I really dont like this horse all that much. Way to wild ...i can say im actually afraid of him. Walking him is okay and i try to show him im the boss but he just lunges at me and trys to kill me every other step. I think he has to go. Im not going to finish calling him 'rocko'.

On a brighter note though, a friend of mine has a friend w/ a pony for sale. $2,100 is what she wants for her. Might go take a look at her sometime really soon. I just HATE to be a person that buys a horse ..then sells it ..buys..then sells. Like that. I prefer to bond w/ my horses and get to know them and there personality. I just cant deal w/ this horses problems ..i feel bad. But im not putting myself or my dad in danger.

Dad tried to put him in the buggy today (knowing he had only been in it once and they said they never tried agian!!!
unsure.gif
). So i put the harness on him (took a lonnng time) while dad held him bc he doesnt know how to. Then hooked the buggy onto him. And dad isnt doing any of it RIGHT! arghhh i was like 'dad you have to do it in steps and get him use to all this ..it isnt 1920 anymore dad!'. I was waiting for that horse to nail dad right in his broken noise! (got the bandages off yesterday night btw ....coco was eyeballing him all day wondering where to get him next
laugh.gif
). So its for allot of reasons.

Here are some pictures of him though ...is he black? Looking at the pix he looks different.

100_9528.jpg

100_9527.jpg

100_9525.jpg

I just got back (took 10 minutes for photobucket to upload all my pix so i went down to play w/ coco ....the new horse just jumped over his stall ...bit coco's neck and tore open a huge gash in his back left leg. Dad is out wrapping it right now bc i made it aware i want nothing to do w/ this horse at all untill the second saturday of next month. I checked coco ..just some teeth marks on his neck ..should be fine. This horse is nothing but TROUBLE! i hate to sound like this but i cant wait till i get rid of him!

Not all horses are bombproof from the start! He needs work! he might not even be a gelding! stallions can be trouble. a horse (let alone a mini) should never be able to jump out of his stall!!(stalls are for safety, if he can jump out than its not safe & you should fix your stalls immediately!!!) If he is so much work, he much be telling you something! he’s probably has had many homes & now you would be no better, he’s not being good, oh ok bye bye then!
no.gif
talk to bonnie, she can help. Rocky is a brown maybe chocolate, NO black could ever get that sun burnt! I don't think its fare to him, he needs a home... give him a chance & talk to bonnie

desiree

Oh Dear Me Lil Buddy......This is what happens when an untrained eye goes to an auction and makes a purchase in haste. I am sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. This doesn't sound good and I can't believe that no one else has said anything so far so here I go and I'll try to put this as painless as possible but I'll start with that my heart is going out to this little horse and I will explain why. I will remind you however, that I don't know a lot here and don't profess to know a lot. I just call it like I see it.

I'm going to try to put this to you from the horse's view point:

From the get-go, you took a scared horse from an auction where he was most likely traumatized in the first place, and tied him down in some unconventional fashion in the trailer to get him home. Traumatized again. You got him home and put him in a strange scary new place complete with very contageous ring worm. He was stuck with shots for whatever reason I still do not understand what anyone would give him one shot of pennicillin for. What would that do? Then you harnessed him or tried to without even giving him atleast a good long week to settle in. You rushed him when you don't even know him. Where was the bonding time?

You knew he was skiddish from the start, but yet you bought him as a potential child's pony ride anyway, even at this very young age, thinking you are going to some how make a buck. Then you find out that he may be retaining a testicle which in many cases can make him a very "unstable" and highly unsuitable mount for a child, and your father has refused to seek medical attention for this situation that can result in a very huge law suit if this horse even thinks about hurting a child. A skiddish horse is not a child's mount. Enter now these three guys who are not licensed vets and they may or not be feeling a testical. If in fact this is a testical, then this horse should very much have surgery soon for many reasons including his own mental sanity. I am sure that your father would realize and agree that if he plans to make business out of using animals as his vehicle to make money in any way, that the first thing a business man would do with your animals is to pour, shove, and dump lots and lots of money into every inch of medical, dental and farrier attention for the animals that they need, and then some. So far, a vet has not been called in to give this horse a complete exam. I wonder if your father has looked into these legalities and purchased ample insurance to cover this new business venture of his. He will need a lot of insurance for using live animals in a business. I know this because I have done a horse business and it costs lots and lots of insurance money.

Ok now let's keep in mind that a horse will flee when frightenend and this guy has been so scared and totally freaked out that he risked his own neck trying to get away and free himself from this barn. He wanted out of there badly to do this. So what do you think was the cause of him jumping out?

Ok now Leanna, what is wrong with this picture? Let's think about this.

Do you think you have rushed to judgement?

Do you think that this horse has had any reason to behave the way he has?

Do you think you should rethink the pony ride business?

Leanna, in my humble opinon I don't think that you have given this horse any chance whatsoever to calm down at all. A couple of days is nothing. Some horses take weeks and even months to relax in a new enviorment. This colt is not only way too young but obviously completely untrained and scared out of his mind. He threw himself out of that stall to get away. Why would a horse do that? Because he's terrified. You pushed him way over his limit.

Don't compare him to Coco. He's not like Coco. Now then, you are quite a strong willed gal who is resourceful. I am willing to bet that if you really put your mind into this situation and really wanted to put some very good quality hours into this horse, that you can in fact turn him around in time with a whole lot of patience. But the key here is that time matters and you cannot be in a rush to do anything with this horse but handle him several times daily and get his confidence and trust going on. Start by keeping him away from Coco and ringworm barns and make him comfortable as you can. Give him a break and lots and lots of time just getting to know you and trust you. Do make him an appointment with the vet for a complete exam and just slow things way way way down and give this horse a chance. This little horse may just end up surprising you. But trying to go out and buy a show halter and a saddle for him to get him ready to go to work for you instead of paying for a vet for him first, seems to me to be a little bit backwards.

On the flip side, if you do not have the time, or the patience, or just don't want to fool with this horse, then by all means do whatever you can to try to place him in a home where someone does. He does deserve a chance at a good life with someone.

Good luck and best wishes with your decision.

And by the way, he's not black.
wink.gif

Please don't take him back to Mt Hope! I've had Promise now for about a month and she is showing improvements. You couldn't get any wilder than she was. Did they have him in the stallion pen? You have his bid number. Call into Mt Hope and get the owners name and call him yourself to ask questions. Please show him that someone cares.

Fran

We already have insurance from where we use to do this a long time ago for charity events. We dont have it anymore i dont think ..just on one horse.

I did some thinking this morning after reading some of the comments. I think im going to keep him ..give him a good loving home and let him get to know me better. I think i was just really upset last night bc i wasnt in any mood to be messing with a horse after all the stuff that happened that day with our other horses. (race horse got loose after someone left a gate open ..took hours to catch him ...was a bit upset bc it was the one promised to me when he retired
sad.gif
and i love him to death). I think that keeping him will do more good then bad. First im going to gain his trust ..then respect ..then get some training in.

The buggy part yesterday was my dads stupid idea. I knew it was to soon but my dad is stuborn and wont listen to anyone. Typical man ...
wacko.gif
lol. I know its going to be dangerous to work w/ him but i will go for it. Im going to fix the stall. I dont know how he could jump that high ..i can barely see over the top of it and im 5'7. I think we can fix it some more though. I just dont wanna 'block him in' in stall.

The only reason he stayed in that barn that night was because we had no other place unless we wanted to put him in the pasture all night which was not going to happen!. Okay well thank you guys soo much. Im going to keep him i think and train him, going to be a challenge but it will give me something to do and help out a mini badly.!

Thank you guys ...touph love is appreciated!

I'm so sorry to hear everything is going wrong. I think it was very smart and mature of you to realize you could not handle this horse! I'm sure there is someone out there who has the experience and the time to train him and settle him down! Would it be possible to keep him outside in a tall fenced in pasture? He may want to be outside rather than in a stall and that way you won't have to worry about him kicking holes in his stall and biting poor Coco!

Latest posts

Back