GOT MY SECOND MINI!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
please if you have any more second thoughts donate him to CMHR and i will take him myself to my farm. You are in Ohio right?? We are moving to ohio soon and maybe i can help you with how to handle miniatures?? We will be in the columbus area which i dont think will be too far from Sandusky. Let me know if i can help

i have to say one more thing. he sure doesnt look anywhere near 3 yrs old. have you looked at his teeth?? He looks more like a yearling to me?? he doesnt even look like a 2 yr old. Hes still very "baby" looking. i cannot believe hes broke to ride and drive??

I've been to Mt Hope and you have to be REALLY REALLY careful. I checked out a few minis, asked one lady how his bite was- "Oh, it's FINE!" Well, I coulda laid my finger on his bottom teeth and not touched the top ones....

You don't know if he was drugged or not, either. My friend bought a mare at a different auction for her son, got her home, and then the drugs wore off. We ended up buying this mare, and two YEARS later we still couldn't touch her in an open field, and only caught her in the barn- with a lot of hassle. She was the ONLY horse that always wore a halter (leather so she could break it if needed) and it took us 45 minutes to change it from nylon to leather that first day.

Lucy

[SIZE=14pt]Roy use to be bad!!And I bought him from a breeder!!He used to buck and kick, bite rear!No where near as bad as Rocky but now he is a lil angel!!I think it would be wise to keep him and sort him out!!And as other people have said slow down!!Ur dad sounds an awfull lot like mine so I know how u feel!!!Just stick in there and good luck!![/SIZE]

Today i worked w/ him a couple times and gave him a quick 'wash' w/ the water hose. Didnt last more then 3 minutes. He did fine ..seemed really calm today. I know how to handle and train horses and miniatures pretty well ..been doing it since i was about 8 years old (use to help w/ dad and watch him). I read allot of books and got some help and tips from ppl. I put it all together with what i know about horses and made my own way to train. I did it a couple years ago. From time to time i ask for help or opinions.

We walked some today and trotted some. Worked on all the stuff i have w/ coco but instead of making sure he does it 'show quality' i made sure he just did it. I was a bit leany on the age thing to ...his teeth sort of look about a yearling but then hes been eating grass his whole life out in the pasture. No sweet feed or anything. Grass and thats it!. He sure loves that sweet feed though. Picked up the front feet and got him use to that. I did each one a couple times untill he quit resisted and learned that i say when he puts down the feet. I dont want to do any serious training untill i get his trust ...then respect and then we will start working on the bahavior (biting, kicking, lunging at me *which he only does when i have coco on the lead rope). He is much better now that he is settling in and im starting to love him. Im going to have vet smith take a look at him after the fair is over.

The only being a 'yearling' thing might explaine his having one testicle. It could be he has never been cutt. The ppl we talked to were kids ..all under about 9 yrs old when he was in his stall. When the auctioner read off the paper it was what the kids wrote. I think they might have lied. So im starting to feel pretty bad about how i felt yesterday. Im not a person to do that and as to why i did yesterday i have no clue. Im going to keep him ..calm him and give him all the love he needs. He's just a playful big bunny underneath i think.

He is a good horse and im going to help him futher all that stuff he needs to learn. Give me about a week to get trust ...2 weeks to get respect and a couple weeks to get training in and started off good.
aktion033.gif

also on his age, i would say, now really looking his somewhere between 6 months to 18 months... JMO

this horse should have really never been riden or driven at all.

not flaming you!

& i do agree with Marty 110%!!!
yes.gif

Sweetheart- the truth here??? You are way out of your depth already!! Your FATHER is in charge of this, and he will do exactly as hoe wishes. Do you know just how wrong that episode with the cart could have gone?? Have you ever seen a runaway take a cart straight up over the person holding it and then smash the cart and break it's shoulder on a fence?? Because I have!! That little horse is far too young for anything your father has in mind for it. It is possibly a Rig to boot- which, apart from being young and scared, would explain why it attacked Coco. You either need to sit back and let your Father do what he wants- I do not think for one minute that is going to include donating the poor little thing to CMHR- or you need to sit him down and lay down some strict ground rules- and if he crosses them you walk away- as you should have done when he said he was going to hitch him to the cart. He HAS to agree to allow you to have a Vet out when it is necessary- can he do this "pony ride" thing without you????- so he has to agree to some basic rules, that you BOTH follow- ie you do the work, he provides the heavy labour and the money. You are a minor- so whether he has insurance or not is not your worry- he will be in so much trouble he will wonder what hit him if he has not got it and something happens, but that is NOT your problem. Give him the information and then forget it. As for this poor little scrap- you are going WAY too fast- you cannot train him until his medical problems have been sorted out- however good you think you are!!! He needs gelded ASAP- if he is a Rig he cannot be gelded normally- what is your Father going to do then?? A Rig is neither one thing nor t'other and it is NOT a trustworthy animal to have around. Whether you will admit it or not you badly need help, here. You will have to forgive me if, at my great age, I doubt your abilities. You have not lived a third of my life , you have not gained a third of my knowledge, BUT even at your tender age, I knew a colt/Rig had to be sorted out before any real progress could be made. I was lucky, maybe, as I had sat my (very aggressive, bull headed, know it all) Father down and laid down the rules- I do wonder how, looking back, I did fear for my life at the time, but, surprise- he took it all, BECAUSE he wanted to make a bit of money and have a free riding horse!!! Try it- it could well work for you too.
smile.gif

I wouldn't argue with your pop! If you were mine and told me off it absolutely would not go in your favor. That would not show you as a young adult trying to make a point but as a little girl throwing a fit. If my teenager came to me with an adults way of handling things they would get farther and did. Your pop has been around horses for a long time. If he took what was told to him as the little guy being three that would probably explain why he believes he can teach him to cart now. Help educate him on what these knowledgeable people have told you. But I would not come off as a know it all to him. Ask for his advise as well but squirm in the let's get the vet to check him out and his idea on his age while he is there.

Good luck and god bless

Fran

I feel sure hes only a yearling. Honestly i dont know how an experienced horse person could look at that horse and think he is anywhere near 3 years old. I hope you know that NO yearling should ever be hooked to a cart or ridden even by small children. So you have 2 years before this horse can be ridden or driven in your "pony ride" business. I wonder what your dad will think when you tell him he cant be used for 2 years and probably shouldnt be used even after that?? if you look at his knees its not good. Either he was driven too young and caused his knees to look like that or hes over at the knee or both. IMO this guy is probably not going to be sound enough to be a driving horse. There are very specific things a person looks for when picking out a driving horse.

He really needs time to just settle in. No training etc. Overly stressed horses colic and i cant think of anything more stressful then what he has been thru in just a few short days.

My offer to take him still stands should you change your mind. I will pay the 250 you paid to get him from the auction.

Kay

Congrats.

Good luck with your new addition.

Tommy

Okay guys please dont get mad at me for what my father does. If i had walked away when he said he wanted to try him out in the cart ..he would have done it by himself and got the horse killed or himself hurt. I wasnt the one who said 'lets hook him up and see what he does in the cart'. He wast acting bad at the auction and most animals we buy there are really good animals. Nothing wrong w/ auctions at all!!!.

Vet smith (smith is our guys last name) looked him over today around noon. He is about 2 or 3 years old he said. He wasnt just very well taken care of. He looked at the teeth, body and checked out muscle tone.

He also looked at the testicle. He said that the horse was Cutt to early before that one dropped. Since they cutt him down in amish country ...he wasnt suprised bc it happens allot down there.

So i wasnt wrong about the age and i have a professional backing me on this one. I told dad we are not going to buggy train him bc i dont want to. I dont care if he pulls a buggy or not ...i just want him as a pet. I knew i didnt want to train him for that. Although David (my brothers friend) has a son who is going to be turning 9 and wants to get him a pony. He came over and looked at him and walked him some. He really liked him. I told him the only way we would sell him was the make david promise us no auctions and to treat him good. David is a horse trainer to who has 1 mini dwarf.

Now for the important stuff. i think he is settling down allot. No jumping, kicking, biting at all today or last night really. I walked him some and his ears have been forward, walking well (giving coco a run for his money!). I've been hugging him and rubbing him and he seems to be loving the scratching. He's starting to love it but i think we are going to end up selling him to David since he has more time. I already have to many horses and training this little guy (even though he seems to be improving) just isnt what i need right now. School starting, Fair Starting, dads getting more horses to train and needs my help, horse races coming up in a couple weeks and i want this guy to have the love he wants and needs. David lives about 1 mile away from us so i can go see him whenever i want. He will probaly end up staying at our barn for a while though after david buys him. He offered $300 ..hate to see him go but i know david is a good guy w/ allllot of time on his hands (just retired about 3 month ago). Please dont flame me or hold this agianst me. I have not done anything wrong here other then what i thought was right. Thank You!

You rescued him from the auction house and found him a good home. How could anyone hold that against you? You have recognized your schedule limits vs his needs. That shows maturity.

God bless

Fran

I am so so so happy to hear that he is getting better and it sounds like this guy David would be the perfect new owner! Hope everything continues to go well!

Sorry again sweetie but NO Vet I know would tell me a horse was "2 or 3"!!! It is either one or the other, I'm afraid. A horse with a full mouth could be two or four. At three the middle teeth are falling out and replacing with adult teeth. I was most certainly not flaming you at all- but you need to talk to your Father sensibly and , Yes I think you should have walked away , since you had already said he did not know how to hook the horse up or put the harness on....Well, has he accepted that the horse is too young to be used?? You have NO guarantee that the horse has been gelded at all- the testicle you see could be the only one you will ever see!! Remove that and he could still be a Rig. Ultrasound is the only way to tell for sure- surely your Vet knows that?? That the horse was gelded before the testicle dropped is a good guess, I think we might have come to that conclusion already, but, if he is indeed a yearling, as I said, one might have dropped , one might follow, one might not follow. Back to square one, really. Is there really any point to continuing with this thread, I wonder?? I'm certainly not going to.
smile.gif

I'm glad David is going to give him some traing & time. Is David a forever home? I'm not trying to fram you, but one thing is bugging me...

If you said " I already have to many horses" then why did you get him in the frist place? You say you have no time & are busy... so why did you buy another horse? What if david didn't come along? & are you going to get another mini from a auction?

sorry.. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
We have many miniatures and well under 2 is what l'd think the one you posted a pic of would be but for sure any vet with papers should be able to tell his age fairly close heck any trainer from the track could do the same they are still after all a horse only scaled down. l really feel sorry for this guy he needs someone to give him slow one on one a vet check some groceries trim work and a big dose of TLC he would make a neat pet for someone else with patience and more understanding of a bewildered animal in a strange place. Sorry just the way l feel reading all this you posted on him.
sad.gif

rabbitsfizz Posted Today, 04:04 PM   Sorry again sweetie but NO Vet I know would tell me a horse was "2 or 3"!!! It is either one or the other, I'm afraid. A horse with a full mouth could be two or four. At three the middle teeth are falling out and replacing with adult teeth. I was most certainly not flaming you at all- but you need to talk to your Father sensibly and , Yes I think you should have walked away , since you had already said he did not know how to hook the horse up or put the harness on....Well, has he accepted that the horse is too young to be used?? You have NO guarantee that the horse has been gelded at all- the testicle you see could be the only one you will ever see!! Remove that and he could still be a Rig. Ultrasound is the only way to tell for sure- surely your Vet knows that?? That the horse was gelded before the testicle dropped is a good guess, I think we might have come to that conclusion already, but, if he is indeed a yearling, as I said, one might have dropped , one might follow, one might not follow. Back to square one, really. Is there really any point to continuing with this thread, I wonder?? I'm certainly not going to.
The vet technically said 'he is somewhere between 2 and 3 years old'. Which would make him 2 1/2!. Im going to go w/ what the vet said bc he has been with us since about before i was born and has yet to give us any reason to not trust him. I'm not a bad person bc i understand that this horse needs a different home. I've delt w/ many horses before and know a good amount. Me being 17 doesnt mean that im completely stupid and dont know anything. I'm in no way a child. You also dont know much about my father or my family. My dad would have hooked him up byhimself and did it wrong more then likely. Leading to more stuff to go wrong. The reason he is going is bc i have to much to do over the next couple month and thought he was already trained from what i seen that day and heard. I wasnt expecting to put 2 hours daily into training him. I've made my decision on what to do w/ him. and its what is best for him, me and my other horses. If he was trained and better behaved i would keep him. Even though he is acting a little different now, im still not 100% convinced.

Im sorry if that sounds rude in any way ..its not ment to. I respect you and what you have to say but i just dont think you understand completely what is going on.

fran_myers Posted Today, 03:20 PM   You rescued him from the auction house and found him a good home. How could anyone hold that against you? You have recognized your schedule limits vs his needs. That shows maturity.

God bless

Fran

Thank you ...coco came from an Auction and look at him.  He was always pretty well behaved though but that was when i hate plenty of time on my hands.
smile.gif
I'm glad David is going to give him some traing & time. Is David a forever home? I'm not trying to fram you, but one thing is bugging me... If you said " I already have to many horses" then why did you get him in the frist place? You say you have no time & are busy... so why did you buy another horse? What if david didn't come along? & are you going to get another mini from a auction?

sorry.. JMO
David Never really sells any of his horses. He sold one but that was a stud he bought from this guy in Texas to use a couple years and then he sold him. All the horses i remember him having as a child he still has. He takes in allot of Horses to.

The reason i got him in the first place was like i said before ..he seemed good mannered, trained and a good horse. Not all horses from auctions are bad horses. Coco came from an auction and look at him now ..show horse in all his glory! The only place we get horses usually is from Auctions bc there some of the best horses around. It doesnt mean there bad. There no different then horses that are published in the papers for sale. Most of them out of Mt. Hope are registered usually. If david had not came around there was someone earlyer who offered to take him in and i would have let them have him for free to or what they offered. So yes more then likely i am going to ..just not for a long time untill i get some stuff straightened out w/ what all is going on. Maybe in a couple weeks or month's.

Rocko (david is keeping the name the same) is going w/ them sometime before August 28th. Dad said that since he was my horse that i was free to do what i want w/ him ..and that is what is best.

Thanks guys for all your support through all this. I needed it allot over the last couple days.

I started trainingmy geldibng when hes was 2 he came without even having training with leading he used to be soo scared to walk out of the barn hehe we used to coak him out he was a silly boy..I think if you love him you can do anything with him o started training wee 2 years ago i am very proud of what i've taught him he is still not the perfect show horse he is stilla little weary of things in the jumping ring btu he is getting to be so good but you have to remeber what a huge commitment it qwill ber if you train him yourself lol especially wiht stubborn boys!!like mine!
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back