Got my new cart, harness.. and no success....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintMeFancy

Reaction score
Okay - so I got a harness to play/work in - the previous owner (who has been great) ordered it for me - suppose to be same one I tried her in with a couple adjustments as she is big for a mini...

Some things just seem too small.. the headstall is one of them.

The traces - not sure if they need to be longer or my cart shafts need to be shorter? How does one figure out which way to go with this? Does it matter... The shafts would poke into her neck/jawline when we turned
default_sad.png

My cart sat very upright (as in my shafts pointed up) -- so does that mean my loops just need to be lowered? (They were as low as it would go with current adjustments)...

They FORGOT the brake straps (breeching to cart loop - not sure what these pieces are all called)...

The previous owner is calling harness maker to see what can be done...

I really just want to drive!!!! A bit impatient at the moment.

Will try and post pics in a moment...

Hi, Top left photo, your breast plate looks a bit big and a bit low... your shafts look a bit long and stick out past the shoulder and bridle does look small and looks like the blinkers are touching the eyes. Hard to tell from the photos but britching also looks a bit small. Actually looks exactly like the fit on my first harness for my boys. Drove me crazy. I did switch out part after part trying to get it to fit right and spent alot of money doing so.. frustrated me to the max. I ended up going with a custom fit from a really nice amish harness maker and it fits like a dream and I sold my old harness and all the duplicate parts. Not saying you need to do that, just sharing my experience and frustration. I am sure the experts of this forum will help you tremendously... I posted tons of photos of my set up and got so much valuable information on the fit from these ladies. Leia (hobby horse) and others will post I am sure... I am trying my hand at learning to evaluate fit of harness now. Still learning here. best wishes, your horse looks SWEET.

This was suppose to be a custom fit (to a point) Amish made one!!!!
default_sad.png
UGH...

I honestly didn't think of the BC being too big - didn't even really look -

Do you think the shafts need to be shortened? Or do the traces need to be longer? Wasn't sure how far she is suppose to be (butt to cart front)

How tall is he? Looks like the wheels could be a little taller and it would line the shafts up better. The shafts should go across the point of the shoulder and these do but at an upward angle which makes me think the wheels might be just a hair too short. Also, you can lenghten the traces just a little and move the tie straps forward for the breeching and it will move him forward in the shafts which will help correct the length of the shafts.

She is about 38-40 inches - I would have to measure to be sure...

The traces are as long as they can go to the cart (last hole to single tree) --- however - what "tie straps forward for the breeching" -- not sure what you are talking about - still learning part terminology!

For my 38" gelding, we drive a CTM easy entry cart with 26" wheels and a lift kit. With these, the cart fits beautifully. You might be within a workable range with just the lift kit, so I'd try that first, then the larger wheels if necessary, but more than likely you would need both.

The straps that connect the breeching to the cart are called holdback straps. As for fit, it looks like the breast collar could go up a hole and the breeching could go down a hole. Also, dropping the tugs a hole or two should level out the shafts and put them more at the shoulder, but it is very hard for me to give a good critique with the glare in the pics. Any chance of getting different pics.

I will try and hook her up again tomorrow and see what I can do and take more pics...

The tugs are as low as they can go - (I was trying to describe that in the first post) - didn't know the name of them

I was so concentrated on everything else - didn't think to even really look at the BC - will be doing that next round (tighten up one)! Thanks --

I am fairly sure the breeching is as big as it can go too.. but will double check...

Rather than shortening the shafts you could get a pair of trace extenders--that will allow you to move the horse out in the shafts--a few inches further out will not be a problem.

If the cart has 20" wheels you may want to get 26" ones for it; that will make it fit your horse better as it will raise it up a bit. If however those are 24" wheels on it then changing to 26 won't help much. The lift kit is another possibility.

The hip strap looks too short and even the breeching itself is shorter than I like though it does work as it is (just needs a longer hip strap so it can be lowered a bit)

It is hard to tell just how well the bridle fits (or doesn't fit)--the noseband is too high--I suspect you have the cheeks let out as long as possible? The blinkers look to be centered over the eyes so that is good.

The traces are as long as they can go to the cart (last hole to single tree) --- however - what "tie straps forward for the breeching" -- not sure what you are talking about - still learning part terminology!
I'm not sure what she's talking about either.
default_wacko.png

I'll be honest with you- you're going to have a difficult time getting that harness to fit your girl right as it appears to be one of the cheaper biothane harnesses some Amish make and they almost never fit right even when custom-ordered. Your bridle doesn't look too bad fit-wise althought the throatlatch may be too tight but I'd dump that cheap overcheck ASAP as a matter of principle. The caveson is pretty high but it's also a draft-style half-caveson, which usually IS set much higher than a typical noseband.

The breastcollar is constructed alright but your mare has the same sort of low chest/neck connection my gelding does and straight breastcollars with thick pads are never going to fit them well because of their conformation. To start with I'd take it up a notch and see how she does, but you'll have to watch that it doesn't drop below the point of her shoulder in deep footing. If it were nice soft leather I'd say to take off the pad once she's got some driving condition but unfortunately it's biothane which won't soften over time so you may be stuck with the pad for the longterm. Too bad, as I bet without the pad you'd find the shaft tips were almost back far enough.

You really can't lengthen the traces since they aren't buckle-in and are already on the last notch but she's a decent distance from the cart so at least they aren't too short. Your tugs are going to be another problem as they are too short and there's nothing for that or the traces but to send them back or buy extenders for them. You can buy bigger wheels for your cart to raise the vehicle but the singletree is already about as high as I'd want it and the seat is almost level so the best fix would be to be able to lower the tugs to the correct horizontal position...which again, you can't do unless you send the tug straps back to be lengthened.
default_sad.png
I agree with Minimore that your breeching is also too small in all dimensions- not too small to work, but too small to look right or be adjusted at need. It's within a thumbswidth of being too high to be safe and I don't think you can let it out anymore, right?

The parts that go from the breeching ring to the footman's loops are called the "holdback straps," and you'll definitely need those although you could temporarily use a couple of nylon straps like a dog collar or good old bailing twine tied to the shaft with a snap on the end to connect to the breeching ring. The shafts are slightly on the long side and this is a situation where for once it might actually be acceptable to cut a tiny bit off the end (normally not a good idea as it affects the balance point and many other things) but I think I'd hold off and tweak the harness first then see if it's still necessary.

Good luck!

Leia

There is a very good online tutorial at www.regencymini.com ; click on 'Miniature Driving 101'(I *think* that's the header; it's the only category listed across the top of the home page that has '101' as part of it...). There is an Intro page, then several pages of a tutorial w/ good pics on harnessing, followed by several pages of a similar tutorial on putting to. This resource has been mentioned on LB before, but not for awhile, and numerous newbies to driving have found it quite helpful, I think.

Agree w/ comments made so far as to fit and possible adjustments.

Margo

Margo CT - THANK YOU !!!! That was just what I needed - helped so much.

I found a used harness that fit (except the breeching) - no B size breeching seems to fit! must have a big butt for a large mini lol .

A lady just moved out here from Idaho and sold her herd, it was actually a nice leather one... (I know my leathers and this was definitely quality leather)... wish the tree was better support - but this is better then the biothane one (crying twice already) -- but it was what fell into my lap - if this "trial" goes well I will buy a better one in the spring

However this breeching fit better then the other - so I pieced it together and thought I was good - the wheels are 20" - however with this harness it leveled out just fine. After reading the above post I am having issues connecting two pieces, the rest I feel confident in

Breeching

Overgirth

We had 2 issues while driving - she did this twice which is totally out of character and since she was completely calm after I think something was pinching her - after a bit down the road she bucked back and reared (bronco style) then stood there like nothing happened (no heavy breathing, not paniced, etc) - we went on our merry way... I ground drove her behind the cart for some time, seemed fine, got in cart 15 min later did it again, I walked her back (ground driving again behind the cart)...

So after reading above I think my overgirth may have been overly tight (I think I really wrenched it down) and the breeching maybe not connected right.

Can anyone explain how to connect these like the above link did to me? (maybe with a pic up close)

My overgirth (will have to look at this again) but I don't think it has a piece coming from on top of the saddle down - it appears to have a long piece on the bottom of saddle (girth area) - like it wraps around shaft and connects to itself? or am I missing something?

Hopefully will have some time in the next couple days to take out harness after reading this and hook up again to see what is going on...

Honestly - I am feeling a bit defeated - I was really really excited about doing this and it seems like one issue after another is just defeating me into wanting to give this up... not sure what to do..

To top it off realized on the way back one of my wheels to my new cart is bent.. not sure if this happened in her excitement or if it was before with something - we were only out for about 45 minutes the day I described (hard dirt trail/road, some divots) and 20-30 the day when I posted the pics before (all on asphalt road)... maybe this had something to do with her acting up?

Thanks everyone...

How tall is he? Looks like the wheels could be a little taller and it would line the shafts up better. The shafts should go across the point of the shoulder and these do but at an upward angle which makes me think the wheels might be just a hair too short. Also, you can lenghten the traces just a little and move the tie straps forward for the breeching and it will move him forward in the shafts which will help correct the length of the shafts.
I was going to say the exact same thing. As tall as your horse is, those wheels being taller will help with the way the shaft sits. Oh, and lift kit (just saw Susanne's post) is a great idea and probably much cheaper than a whole new set of wheels.

if your shaft loops can't be lowered, then that's a problem. I don't know why they make them so short!!!

PaintMeFancy, I'll admit at this point it's hard to answer your questions online but you might check out the "Pet Peeves" thread under the Best of LB forum. Many of the pictures are gone as it's an old thread but it still may help you.

Don't feel discouraged- there are many nice mini drivers in your area and for that matter I'm moving down there within the next month so even if we can't solve this online, I'm sure we can arrange to do something in person! Just hang in there. I would recommend that you don't ground-drive from the cart in the meantime as that practice can be pretty dangerous and I wouldn't want you to have a bad wreck before we can get your harness straightened out.

Leia

Where you moving to?

I was actually taught to drive from the trainer from behind the cart with her... however we were out fairly far and didn't have much choice unless I wanted to drive back in the cart with the funky wheel! I guess I could have kept her hitched and walked her from the head instead? Not sure which would have been better.. Kind of wanted to watch the harness while driving so I could see if anything was off or too tight, etc.

Needless to say - talked with the lady who wrote the above 101 iva email. she was super nice and very informative. I think we figured out what may have been the issue -

The overgirth style on the leather harness I have is meant for straight, level roads and dirt roads and my overgirth was probably WAY too tight.. the combo probably made them work against each other and pinch her underneath.

What I am worried about/discouraged - is that I wanted to do this with my 2 yr old in the cart with me. I rarely get horse time without her and this was suppose to bring horses back to me - now I am worried I won't feel safe with her with me while driving.

Anyway - hoping to have someone out here later this week to give me a hand and see what needs to be done.

Latest posts

Back