Got MILK.... non pregnant mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
This is a mare that "lost a foal" this past november. She is a fatty anyway. I noticed her belly and checked her for a bag. Not really a bag but I was able to express "milk" easily. This mare will make milk easily, she made milk for an orphan foal I had after only 3 days of Domperidone a couple of years ago.

What do you think of that! Weird huh?

Robin

Weird? Nah... most broodmares will have some milk left in their udder. Even though the mare stops MAKING the milk, she doesn't always get rid of what's left over. Its quite common to be able to express some milk-like fluid from the glands of a broodmare.
default_smile.png

I have 2 broodmares that are both due to foal the end of June and One looks kinda like she is bred and the other maybe a better chance she is bred. They both are starting to get some solidness to their bags. One more so than the other and I had the question can a mare bag up even know they might not be bred????

Yes, it is possible to build an udder while not pregnant. More often than not its due to various grasses she may be eating. It could also be mastitis, which is an infection of the mammery glands. There is no false pregnancy in the mare, so it is NOT to be confused with a bitch's normal cycle.

Latest posts

Back