GOT iris flowers? I Do!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
OMGOSH!!!

One of the biggest iris breedres in Michigan who I have been purchasing from for many years came into where I work last week and informed he was done. He also told me that its too hard to upkeep at his age and wants to work on other stuff in his life and only have a smaller scale of a iris bed. He said he reduced his iris patch (2 acres of row after row after row and all labled too) by 73% and was gonna weed kill off the rest!

I about got sick as he has aprox 35,000 iris and aprox 2,000 different kinds from talls, old fashions, double bloomers, mediums, dwarfs, and space ages.

I asked if there was anyway I could give him a hand and I could take some or buy some before he kills them off. He replied, I would be more then happy to give all you want if ya dig them yourself! He said I know how much you love my flowers as almost as much as me, so take what you want, take them all!

So for the last week any and all free time, I have spent digging, and digging. I have almost 30 hrs into it and have about 40% of the garden left. Now im not going through and keeping track of all their names and such BUT HOLY MOLY there's a lot! And cant wait to have them blooming in my field in the next couple of yrs. Sorry I dont have pics YET! But can you imagine the bed of my 1/2 ton chevy pick-up full to the rim of iris toes and have already done 4 trips! Thats a lot!!!

Also to get an ideal of what Im digging up and dedicating my life to at this time.... Go check out www.Blue J Iris.com on the internet. Their on a bigger scale of a farm, but I still have tons of what they sell.

Thanks for letting me share my excitement with you!

Oh... I forgot, I already have about 1000 iris in my field as well that I have been buying/collecting throught the yrs by breeders all over the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
My ABSOLUT favorite flower!! I had them for my wedding flowers! I have a couple but I'd love to see some pictures of yours! I'm so happy for you!!

Thanks guys!!!

Im over the moon thrilled about them. Everyone I brag to think Im nuts, But if and when they see them in bloom they'll realize y then. I wish I had pics or could download some But my hubby messed up my computer months back and now cant download new pics. Otherwise I would fill this thread full of them!

I did discover there was poison ivy growing through that field that Im digging them out of, so I went and got the shots trying to keep it somewhat under control and oh boy am I covered in it, again folks say Im nuts BUT its still worth it to me! Poison ivy will heal someday! lol! I go out again Friday and spend all day digging and cant wait!

WOW
default_wub.png

OOOHHH Your making me envious LOL!!!
default_drool5.gif
default_wub.png
FABULOUS!! You did the right thing by braving the poison ivy, thats for sure!!!
default_thumbup.gif
I would never have let him roundup those beautiful flowers!!

They are beautiful.

My favs are the peachy one in the first row, the golden orange one in the second row, and both dark burgandy in the fourth row.

Lucky you.I wish I were closer-I would love to help you.Iris is my favorite flower and next is daylilies.I love the orange ones and the plicatas.I have some that I bought this year from a 93 yr old lady who has been growing and hybridizing them for many years.I like the unusual colors-orange, almost black,burgundy etc.I look at the catalogs and can't believe the prices for 1 rhizome went they are first offered-some as high as $65 each.I like them because you can plant them and they come up for many years with very little care.I hope to have some to sell or trade in a few years.Have fun-can't wait to see the photos when you have lots of them in bloom.Enjoy

I just bought a couple different rhizomes... We are having a heat wave so I have to wait to plant them... The bearded iris are soooo pretty...

One of my favorite flowers too! I LOVE them and those are stunning! Thank you so much for saving them! It would be horrible to just kill them all!

IM DONE DIGGIN!!! Well at the field where I got these! Now to finish my diggin here and start putting them back into the ground! I have been having top soil/sand fill coming in to put in my field where I am doing my new rows. Hubby sure hates flowers more then ever now!!! LOL LOL LOL

I love Iris -- we have a bunch here (not as many as you though)... I actually have a whole dump bed wagon full that I need to plant but haven't had the time yet
default_smile.png
I also bought some bright blue ones at the store that I need to plant -- they are very pretty and we didn't have any like that...

Enjoy your planting..

Latest posts

Back