Got a new puppy! *Pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Horse Lover

Reaction score
I just thought I'd share that I got a new puppy November 26th as an 8 week old, he is now almost 13 weeks old. His name is Riley.
default_wub.png

I was originally told he was half Red Heeler (mom) and half German Shorthair Pointer (dad). But than the owner said she didn't know for sure what the dad was (it was an "oops" litter, she never actually saw the dad). When I went to pick up Riley his mom was not at the same house as the puppies so I never got to see her, just recently I asked for pictures of the mom. Her owner insists that she is a purebred Red Heeler (no papers, she got her from a friend who told her she was purebred) although after looking at the pictures I personally don't think the mom is a purebred Red Heeler, although I do think she has Red Heeler in her.

Anyways, for Christmas I got that Breed Identifier test (the XL one) and just sent in his sample today. The results I think will be out in about 2 weeks.

So I thought it might be fun and interesting to have a "guessing game" and see if anyone can guess what kind of mix he is judging by the pictures I post and the pictures of his mom. When I get the results back I'll post them and see who guess right/guessed closest as to what kind of mix he is.

So....what do you think? I can post more pictures if you'd like.

*Edited to add: The mom the owner said is about 30 lbs or so, and Riley is 12 pounds at 13 weeks. (keep in mind he was pretty underweight when I first got him and in a month he gained 6 lbs.)

Riley~

HorsesdogsRiley12-16-09007.jpg

HorsesdogsRiley12-16-09077.jpg

HorsesdogsRiley12-16-09166.jpg

HorsesdogsRiley12-16-09175.jpg

Riri.jpg

Riley's mom~

Rileysmom.jpg

Rileysmom1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well, the mom MIGHT have some heeler i her, but no, she is not PB. Cute, but not PB. Riley is adorable........
default_wub.png
I bet he is so much fun!

I wonder if the mom is an Aussie/Lab cross or a border collie/Lab cross? it is always so easy to say, Oh, Lab cross, definatley. LOL. but, she does kind of look it. i love the white on the feet.......and that would certainly come from BC's. Hmm. Can't wait till the test comes in, this is fun!

Thanks for the reply! I told his mom's owner that she sure doesn't look purebred and I sent her some pictures of purebred Red Heelers and she still insisted that the mom is a purebred, she also said that her vet said that the mom was purebred and didn't look like anything else. I pretty much left it at that, if she wants to think she has a purebred heeler thats okay with me lol
default_wink.png
She did say she wanted me to let her know what the test results are so maybe that'll change her mind.
default_smile.png
Like I said though, no biggy, I got one heck of a good puppy whatever he is.
default_wink.png
default_wub.png

He sure is smart! He already knows "Sit", "Down", "Shake", "Jump" (he jumps straight up in the air from sit or stand position), and "Wave". He's been AMAZINGLY easy to potty train, he sleeps with me and the other dogs/cat at night on the bed and knows the routine during the day (potty breaks/meals/play time outside weather permitting, etc.).

Looking at the mom again I do think she looks like she has some border collie in her. I'm guessing she at least has some Red Heeler in her which might have been miscommunicated/misunderstood when the lady got her, but who knows!

Boy is he ever cute! It will be exciting to see what your boy is! Id like to try that on my dogs. I know what they have in them but not everything for sure.

I volunteer at a shelter and love these guessing games! In looking at the pup, without any of the info or pics of mom that you provided, I would have guessed some kind of spaniel/gsh mix.

But in looking at the mom - I'm really not sure!

Will sure be interested in hearing your test results, regardless. I hadn't heard that those weren't accurate but I did wonder how they could be. I would suspect they have to have some truth to them, though, right? I had a friend who did her oversized slightly odd looking yellow lab that was suspected to have great dane in him and sure enough, he came back as mostly lab with a little great dane.

Latest posts

Back