Gosh.. am I the only one affected by this bull!???!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH!

I drive a Silverado 3500 (1 ton) 4x4.. 4 door.. DUALLY!
default_wub.png

I work approx. 20 miles (each way) from home and to work.. Every THREE days it is costing me $50.00 to $55.00..!

I am fed up with prices.. it is well over $4.00 here, but I LOVE my truck..

default_wub.png
default_no.gif

I have a performance, 'race' truck that I am thinking of making road legal.. as it is only a Silverado 1500, reg. cab.. and gets about 16-17 miles per gallon..
default_wacko.png

Me, personally.. no matter the price.. I will drive a truck.. It's just my thing.
default_laugh.png

Interesting comment one page back about the Banks and rates they charge... I actually work for a Bank and they set us HUGE debt targets per month to acheive. If I don't draw down $3.2 million in loans per month, no extra pay. So no extra money to go around..... So I've been having to come up with new ways to budget everything, including the horse feed!

In the good times, the credit policy relaxes and debt is easier to get. When it all goes bad and the repayments bite that's when the hurt really starts. We had an article in the paper yesterday talking about people are EXPECTING to have to use their credit cards just to get by!!! Scary!

Gas is $2.18 New Zealand a litre over here since our dollar has been high, but a lot of people hurting. Shoplifting on the rise, scams - all the usual stuff when an economy goes down.

I won't be do anywhere near the same amount of shows this season and EVERYHTING is budgeted down to the last cent!

I drive a Nissan Maxima and get about 400kms (don't know miles) on a tank pulling the float. Very fortunate I have a company car at present.

I agree!!! And please no flames here cause the gas fumes will blow us all to kingdom come! LOL

I have a 3/4 ton Chevy and I drive about 58 miles round trip a day. It costs me WELL over $100 to fill it now. It is costing me at least $350 per month in gas ust to go back and forth to work and I really dont go ANYwhere now. I do my errands on the way home, to minimize trips. I have not gotten ANY raise to compensate

I can only afford one vehicle, with insurance and upkeep and all, so this is it for me. I cant get rid of it and get a car- certainly can't pull a trailer with a car, nor can I haul hay, bagged feed, etc.. that I need a truck for.

I would be scared to ride a bike or motorcycle back and forth that far- the drivers here are IDIOTS most of the time and I have seen some ugly accidents... And I couldnt make it to work and back that far on a bike- ha, I'd be lucky to get out of my neighborhood. People would be passing me and
default_risa_suelos.gif
while I would be
default_smileypuke.gif
alongside the road in the heat of 112.

I know SOMETHING has got to give, while the oil companies are setting record profits and their CEO's are dragging in millions, cause my wallet has given more than I possibly can at this point. I'm a single income household here and am going to be going in the hole real soon if this doesnt stop. There is not really much in the way of businesses near me, so getting a second job would mean another trip at least halfway back to town again- that certainly wont save me anything in gas.

Just seen an article saying there has been a pull back in commodity investment (oil, copper, corn) which has seen oil drop to $135US a barrel......

I wish they would hurry up an get alternative fuels for trucks/SUVs so we could afford to run our big engines!!!

My husband and I can luckily commute together for our 140 mile round trip to work everyday. We recently bought a 2008 Hyundai Accent, 33+ miles per gallon. Hubby does get gas expenses that help. The Accent is a cutie too. One good thing about commuting with the Hubby is I have captive audience!!! Great talks on our 2-3 hour daily trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
No flames from me at all!! The goal is to get some ideas and see what we can do as people, friends, a nation, partnering countries, it does not matter
default_wub.png
were all affected! So what can we do right now to ease this pain at the pump? I totally get what we SHOULD do for the future but what about the right now moment? For our house hold, with the new election comming, were really trying to pay attention to who's going to help get us all out of this mess. And so far no ones really standing out in the help department! It's tuff right now!

Well we were at a point where we HAD to do something. Hubby hauled some scrap for the people down the street and made a few bucks. First thing he did was fill our tanks up... wanna guess how much...... over $160 for the Suburban and $127 for the Ram
default_new_shocked.gif
I am positive that tank won't see full again for a long time. Something needs to change and soon! I have to admit I was using my card for a while to put gas in the burb but I had to put a stop to it real quick! So now it's cash only, which makes it tricky, but it should get some what easier with the smaller vehicals. Unfortunately if prices keep rising, our little vehicals are only a quick fix, we'll be back in the same boat soon with no other alternitive. On a great note though, we got the little Neon home and she runs like a champ! She needs a bumper and alittle paint but what do you expect for an older vehical!! LOL! It's a cute little car and it will be even cuter when we start saving money
default_wink.png
default_aktion033.gif
Hehehehe!

I've started taking public transportation. I am saving 160.00 in gas 40.00 in insurance and 30.00 in oil changes for a total of 230.00 savings each month, not to mention the wear and tear on my 3/4 ton 4x4 which now SITS in my driveway.

Public transportation would be good for most all if it was available, but we folks out in the "boonies", would have to drive 50 or so miles to find said public transportation!

yeah and quite frankly many city's do not have very good public transportation either. their scheduals are screwy and don't go along the routes you need ect. Boston and NY have great transportation..too bad everyplace doesn't have it like that.

I ride in a 15 passenger van pool to work, which is great for me! i do pay to ride but when you consider gas, parking, wear and tear on the car, and NOT having to drive in a snow storm, i LOVE it! wish more people did it. we have a 45 drive both to and from work but we chat and relax and usually have a good time. some people sleep, or read, whatever they prefer.

i still have to drive to the farm, but now only go on the weekend, a 50 mile trip 1 way, but i stay there the whole weekend. if we go to shows or day trips we all pitch in gas and go together. helps alot, but is not the end solution.

jennifer
default_saludando.gif

And this is why I am back to working as much as possible from home.

I now schedule my running around doing estimates to just one or two days per week unless there is a rush job; then I will have to make a special trip. All I do is take some measurements and do some basic math, pick up deposits for the jobs and bring contracts for them and turn it in to our store so the jobs can be priced out by Hus. I map out my customers so no backtracking. I can do tons of paperwork from right here email a lot of stuff or have Dan drop it back off for me. I also learned to call first and confirm appointments to be sure I don't go somewhere for nothing. If Hus is in the area, he'll do it and save me the trip. We are staying as co-ordinated as we possibly can. I do my running in Michael's car, his little 4 cylinder job. Hus is also running now in his "cheater" little truck, 6 cylinder thing and Dan is also running the jobs in his cheater truck too. On the weekends for Dan's "nightlife" he and his friends are always sharring gas $ and riding together and if Hus and I do go out its in Michael's car.

I do my feed store for grain and shavings now just twice a month in the diesel. Other than that its parked.

I don't see the gas prices going down at all. This is a disaster.

Where I live in Michigan we have a program called Your Ride which are small vans and cars and works like a taxi. I live just this side of the "boonies" literally the other side of my road the service is not available.

As mentioned above I LOVE this service at 5.00 round trip, and the human interaction is awesome, just last night I was told how to kill my potato beatles and how to make fried green tomatos.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the prices of gas went up I had to quit my job because of the commute and not getting the money I needed. I also just had a baby and the extra cost of childcare and gas made it to where I may be only making $400 a month. It doesn't make sense and is not worth the stress. I had a 85 miles commute round trip per day as an exotic animal trainer/horse trainer. I had been doing it for 8 yrs and it was semi seasonal with lots of guests and work spring through fall and then it would be part time in the winter and wasn't worth it. And that is with a Neon getting over 30 mpg.

So I went full time into Natural Hoof Care ( had been doing my own for 2yrs) and "Custom training" by the hour. But I've had to budget my mileage and time based on $5.00 a gallon prices. So there is a gas surcharge depending on how many horses are on that circuit and how far from my house. It has gotten some of my clients to encourage thier fellow horse buddies to try Natural Hoof Care and lower the surcharge cost amongst the individuals involved.

And I ended up cutting down on my # of big horses. And ended up getting 3 minis in for the one big horse I got rid of that was allowed in the budget. So I guess in some ways the gas uppage has done some positive. Another one is Wal-mart buying locally for their produce.

It'll eventually get better. I also do all my side trips on the way and actually "plan" my errands. When you have a 5 yr old and 5 month old you get plenty of exercise doing all this Take car seat out, unbuckle other child. Go in. Get stuff and keep handle on 5 yr old. Check out , load up. Buckle up car seats. Makes a morning of 5-8 places of errands a workout! I love them!

I guess we should see some interesting innovation. If it hadn't been for times like these lots of stuff wouldn't have been invented when it was. Look at all the inventions and ideas that came from any war out of neccesity. I guess I like to try to look at the positive aspects. My husband thinks it is positive that there is not as much "mouths per pound " to feed.....

my hubby drives 48 miles-one way- will- thanks for my sIL he found us a 1988 honda crx-only paid $200. for it......it's well paid for it's self- rich gets38 mpg and at least once a week will find a note on it asking if he wants to sell it.......it looks aughful-no air but it runs like a clock//////

I drive a Chevy optra LS and it's good on gas i spend $200 to $250 a month driving have an hour to work 5 days a week (mostly highway). what really gets me is insurance, that plus gas and my car payment is insane, i'm glad i'm moving within walking distance to my work.

Our company offered to let some work 4 x 10 days, but we have to be here at 4:30 a.m. to do that- no other choice. Let's see, get up, feed the dogs and a dozen horses before work get ready and a 40 minute drive in- cripes I would have to get up at 2:30 a.m.!!! I dont think so! So I couldnt do it.

I am still 'eyeballing' my golf cart and wondering what else it would take to make it street legal- needs a windshield and turn signals, new tires. Hmmmm..... Wonder how far it would take to go the 28 miles each way.....

Well we have handled the gas gouging in several ways first we took the truck off the road except for absolute necessity. My hubby takes my Lumina to work not the best on gas but close to 30 mpg. We are mowing the lawn just once every other week not twice a week as usual. We use the Ranger rather than the tractor as much as we can. Complete barn cleanouts are less often because besides gas shavings have gone right out of sight here. There is less call for planed wood so less shavings to go around and the pellet stove industry is taking most of the sawdust. We even haul grain in the car twice a week instead of once a month in the truck he brings it on his way home from work. He now does all our groceries ( talk about a nightmare) saves a trip to town as he does them after work. I make a list he does the shopping. We are managing so far. But that said we are really worried about what we will do when heating oil is also $5.00 a gallon along with the gas. We are already thinking of using just wood this year to heat the house and closing off at least half the house and if need be my daughter and her family will come here or we will go there to make it more affordable for the winter. Its not like we have a choice about heating the house and we are lucky because we can use wood as there are so many that cant.

Latest posts

Back