Goopy eye

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
Willow's eye has been goopy and runny for a few weeks now. it's not too bad, but I do clean it up each time I'm out there..just by wiping it clean with my finger. Actually, one eye is worse than the other.

Her eye does not look irritated or anything. What can I use to help them? Someone mentioned using a teabag soaked in warm water to sponge them down.

Should I also keep her flymask on her during the day to help with the wind etc we have had some wild weather. I'm assuming it's just irritation from the wind etc.

default_smile.png

Terramyacin (sp) from tractor supply or your local feed store, or ask your vet for some ointment, I can't quite remeber the stuff from the vet, I think it is gentac.

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a pony get a goopy eye after a trailer ride in an open stock trailer. I just called my vet and he had me come down and pick up some eye ointment in a little silver tube. I can't remember the name, but do remember that it didn't cost much. I was a little nervous about squeezing it directly out of the tube into his eye, so I squeezed the stuff on my finger then pulled down the lower eyelid and swiped my finger so that the medicine went in there. It was really easy and this pony can be kind of a stinker some time too. Cleared it up in just a couple of days.

Might not hurt if it's been going on this long. If it continues, you might need to get the vet out to see if there is a scratch on the cornea or something. Good luck!

Jayne

Eye problems should never be taken lightly. What seemingly may be something very minor can turn into major if not handled correctly. For example, never use any eye meds with a steroid in it unless the eye has been stained by a vet and no evidence of an ulcer/scratch is present. There are different meds for different reasons, so my advice is to check with your vet. And, by all means, if the eye does not get better with treatment it is time to see a vet. I am not a vet nor am giving 'vet advice'. Please take eye matters very seriously!

Peggy

How old is your horse? The goopy eye could be caused by tooth eruptions.

It could also be a clogged tear duct. Either way, it would be best to have a vet check it out.

I am going to strongly second that get the vet! You can do a lot of expensive and traumatic damage trying to save a few dollars by not calling the vet. Please heed Albahurst's advice.

Willow is 7 months old now.

I'll get the vet.

Thanks everyone.
default_smile.png

Depending on how bad it looks, I may have a vet look at it.

What I've done in the past for "lightly goopy" eyes is to use baby wipes 2x a day to clean the area around the eye and a triple antibiotic ointment made for eyes like Teramycin (sp?). Be sure not to use something made for flesh, like Neosporin as that can cause scarring to the eye.

My hunch is it's not a serious situation, but that's only a hunch based on what I've seen in my own horses.

The wind is horrible here right now and I clean their eyes with warm water twice a day. they are burning the fields so that also adds to the mix, just make sure it is not a scratched eyeball or something more serious...when in doubt...call the vet!

Latest posts

Back