GoodBye Gem (Big Horse)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davie

Reaction score
This story starts back on the night of Jan 15th when I had just taken off my shoes to sit back and watch a little TV when I heard a vehicle pass the house and then a "THUD"--thought the stupid driver had run off the edge of the road trying to maybe avoid a deer -- was not a sound of an accident so to speak. Isis (my outside dog) just kept barking so slipped on my house shoes and stepped out on the porch and heard people talking.

Went down the drive way and heard a lady asking if anyone was hurt--knew someone had run off into the ditch. Two men answered NO and you could hear them tossing car parts off the road and then get in their vehicle and speed off. The woman then yelled out to someone to ask where they were (my heart went into overdrive --did these guys hit a person!!!), then I heard someone call out. I yelled to the woman and asked what happened--her son's horse and been hit and he was down in the neighbor's yard.

I ran to the house got my shoes on, called my vet, grabbed a blanket, and what ever else I could lay my hands on jumped into the truck and ran next door. Here stood a beautiful bay pinto quarter horse, going into shock with his leg off the ground. Called Pat Elder and Leesa and they came running to help and my vet was on her way from Yukon (when at normal speeds take about 50 minutes to drive--she got there in 20).

Here stood a 14 yr old young man (I now call another son, Breydon) holding onto his horse and just so upset saying his horse might have broken his leg. When Leesa got there (she's a nurse) she could not feel any broken bones so with Dr Kim on the phone we wrapped his leg for support and started a once over to see what injuries he had sustained. He had a badly lacerated chest wound, a small laceration on his left hind leg and some skinned spots. We put blankets on him and waited for Dr Kim. Here was a kid that was tettering on the edge of more than he could handle--he had just lost the only man in his life (his granddad) two days before Gem got hit. He lives with his mother, aunt, and two younger twin brothers.

While we waited and talked I learned that this young man had just brought Gem home from a friends house and earlier in the summer he had won a "HIGH POINT" buckle in the youth rodeo with him. They had been out in the front yard and something spooked Gem and dumped Breydon and took off when he meet up with a full size Dodge Ram Truck.

Once Dr Kim got there and did a head to toe exam on him we discovered that he had been hit broadside by the truck and it had hit him at the point of his shoulder back to around his 9th rib. Dr Kim was able to see with her ultrasound that he had no major fracture of his shoulder but had lots of muscle damage to the shoulder and between his ribs but none were fractured. We were going to have to watch closely for pheumonia. Gem had damaged the nerve that runs down the length of his shoulder as well. Dr Kim spent over 4 hours working on this wonderful boy who stood calmly while we worked on him. We knew he could not get into a trailer nor walk very far so we put him into a small area that my neighbor had that was used for a couple of cattle until morning so we could decide how to get him to a more permanent place.

Well in the middle of the night it started to rain and I did not hear it so when morning came Gem was in danger--he was cold, had layed down and had somehow gotten his inside blanket off. We immediately decided that the only thing we could do was to bring him next door to my house as it was the closest place with a stall that was big enough for him--only problem was it was over 1200 feet to my barn and this horse was too unstable on his feet to support himself in a moving trailer even for that short a ride. With Dr Kim on the way back out and her permission and with Pat and Leesa along side we cut my property fence and walked Gem over the the barn.

It was a very slow process and it took us a long time but we let Gem set the pace (he take a couple of steps and had to rest, then a couple of more). It was decided that Gem needed stall rest for at least 12 weeks in order to see if the nerve would start to heal and regenerate.

Breydon was such a dedicated young owner and was over everyday to feed and care for Gem, change his support bandages, massage his legs, and wash his sutured injuries. Gem was doing really well and we thought was well on his way but then we noticed a little bit of a set back--he was only putting weight on his toe again after almost being able to put weight on his leg. Breydon was dealing with his own issues of loosing his grandfather, now Gem was regressing and he had just lost a good friend of his in an auto accident--this became too much for Breydon and he (THANK THE LORD ABOVE) told someone that life was just not worth living--things he was close too were dying around him and he just did not want to be here any longer--that someone took what he said seriously and told his school counselor. Breydon went into inpatient therapy for two weeks while I took care of Gem until he was able to come back and take care of him.

Well after weeks of antibodics to ward off pheunomia (which he avoided), 12 weeks of therapy, and other treatments to give the nerve the best chance to regenerate we were seeing Gem slide backwards instead of progressing. It was decided it was time to make a very difficult decision.

Gem had become the best barn guest I could have ever asked for. He would greet you with a neigh every time I was outside and he loved to visit with the minis when they came up to his stall to say HI. His young owner was so dedicated to getting him well so they could compete again one day. Breydon would also help me with chores and anything else I asked him to do. He is just learning about horses in general and is a sponge for knowledge.

This morning we let this beautiful young bay pinto gelding cross over the Rainbow Bridge with dignity and grace and as I watch a young man cry at the loss of his dear friend--I cryed as well. I told him that what happened was a tragic accident, he could not blame himself as he was a dedicated care giver to Gem and did everything they could to help Gem get well--it was just not to be. Most horses that are hit by a vehicle much less a full size Dodge Ram Truck that had been doing 50mph before the driver saw him--never survive the accident itself. He had given Gem the best chance he could to get better and now was the time to let him be free once again.

GEM will be buried under the Redbud tree in the pasture next to my Arabian stallion Sandy and Breydon can come visit him any time he wants too. This was such a difficult chapter in a young man life but I know he will get through it. He is going to help me train and show the minis and he has a new horse lined up to Rodeo on, be he says it just won't be the same. I have a wonderful young boy I can call a third son now, but lost a wonderful equine friend today. Breydon asked if I was going to cry and I told him yes, GOD gave us the knowledge to allow our animal friends to leave this world with dignity and grace and it is a choice that is not made easily or lightly but one that must be made when all else has been done.

GOODBYE GEM--you wormed your way into my heart as if you were one of my own, you fought a good fight for 3 long months. Run wild and free and chase those cattle like you always did. You are now whole again and I'll try my best to take care of your young owner left behind. Take your WINGS GEM -- FLY ACROSS THE MORNING SKY, I know Sandy was there to meet you.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

What a rough heartbreaking story.........but in a strange way, heartwarming as well.

Bless you all........

You have me in tears!!! What a heartbreaking story. Gem, be free of pain now. Watch over your young owner and give him strength to deal with your loss and the loss of his grandfather and friend.

(((HUGS))))

Barbie

What a sad and tragic story, but a story beautifully told, thank you for that.

My sympathy and thoughts are with you and Breydon.

Anna

That is far too much tragedy in such a young mans life. How sad that he lost so much in such a short time. I know he will be fine but it will take time. I'm so glad he has a lead on a new horse for the rodeo.

Please let him know that we are all thinking about him and truly care about him. He sounds like such a nice young man.

Marie

Davie, thank goodness for YOU.

As for your young man, you can give him our number if he feels he needs to talk to Dan about dealing with his loss. Its always been so ironic that we can't seem to help ourselves deal with our grief most of the time, but we do pay it forward and help others who need a shoulder they can relate to. This is part of the Archangel Foundation that I set up 2 years ago and we are here to help if we are needed.

Rest in Peace beautiful Gem.

default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
I am all tore up over your story of Gem, and his young owner and your compassion to help them...God bless all.....

We all know how hard it is to lose them at anytime, but especially for a 14 year old at a vulnerable age anyway...glad he's gotten help dealing with it and has found a new friend - and a new focus - with you and your minis.
default_smile.png
I hope his family is supportive as well, what a tough thing to handle.

Jan

oh my this thread hits home! almost 5 years ago i lost 2 horses ... someone let them out of our pasture and they both got hit... so very hard to deal with. please know and let this young man know that i feel for him. i would also like to send him a card if i could. please pm me a addy if thats ok! hugs to both of you!

I had wondered how he was doing as I had seen posts on FB. I am sorry the big guy did not make it
default_no.gif

Brought tears to my eyes, a sad story, and yet what a blessing to have you brought into Breydon's life at a time when he most needed support.

Oh my goodness. RIP Gem and Davie what a great deed you all did to try to help this horse and his young owner. Give that young lad a hug for me. Bless every one of you.
default_wub.png

That is very sad - please let your friend know we are thinking about him and feel bad for his loss - and yours, too
default_no.gif

What a horrible loss. I am sitting here in tears as I read your story. I am so glad you are there for this young man. I can only imagine what he feels and is going thru at his young age. RIP beautiful Gem.

Latest posts

Back