Good Mini Horse Western Saddles?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily

Reaction score
Hi. I am wondering if anyone has saddles for their minis that fit nicely. My mini is 36”so he’s on the bigger side. I’m really just looking to get a little western saddle for pictures and decoration, not really for riding. But I’d still like it to fit nicely and be comfortable. I tried an 8” seat and it was too small, so I’m thinking a 10” would fit but it’s hard to find saddles with measurements and reviews.

Hi Emily, I have purchased three saddles for my 36" mini and none of them fit right. I see so many advertised, but for me no luck. Mine were english. My advice get a saddle fitter, or buy with a return policy. There are sites that cater to all things mini. I use minitack.com. I don't plan to buy another saddle. I have been riding bareback. They give size guidelines on sites,but for me only the blankets work out. Good luck, and if you do find a fit please let me know. Maybe I'll get brave and try again. My mini is 34" not 36" sorry I misspoke.

Last edited:
I should clarify that I didn't get stuck with all three saddles. There was a return policy, so I was able to take back the ill fitting first choice. I kept one because it has an adjustable tree, and while It's not optimum it fits me well.I feel safer without a saddle. My mini is large enough for me to ride, but they are not configured like a full sized steed. While sitting on his back relaxed my feet don't touch the ground,but posting in stirrups is to low to be safe or comfortable for either of us. I didn't take that into consideration when I shopped. This is my first mini. If you are only buying a saddle for show or pictures you should have an easier time as you are only fitting the horse, not horse, and rider. I have seen some adorable western saddles for mini's at most of my local tack shops. They seem to be more popular than they used to be, and tack shops have at least one or two on display. There are three tack shops in my area to choose from, but if you don't have that luxury online shops could be an option. As far as measurements go,girth,height at withers,and withers to tail line. The body type also. If you have a fine boned or heavy build will affect the look of a saddle. I have never shown before, but if you plan to you could ask around that community for show tips. I don't know what judges look for in tack. I have watched shows, but they were all in hand, and agility. I have never seen any that included tack. Your local 4H members could also be of help. You don't have to be a member to solicit show advice. I believe they are active all year in some capacity. I would also think any show you entered would have guidelines. I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back