Good-bye Fish Dude

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
I just had to euthanize my new betta, who I called Fish Dude. I've had him for about a month (about the same time that I got the job that I have) and I have no idea what happened to him other than the fact that he was barely moving, I thought he was dead until I looked real close and saw his fins and gills moving slightly. He had his nose to the bottom and just looked very lethargic, though there were no physical signs of fungus or parasites. I chose to euthanize him rather than let him suffer on the off chance he'd get better. With no physical symptoms I wouldn't even know where to start for fixing him. The only thing I found was an odd bump in his left "flank". He was constantly stressed, even just from looking at him or feeding him, so that likely contributed to it.

I chose the freezing method to humanely kill him. Everyone in my family said to flush him, except my younger brother who jokingly told me to "poke him" :DOH!

I feel really bad, I hate having to do that, this is the 2nd fish I've euthanized. I made a quick decision because it did not look like he would have gotten better.

My one and only fish who was a betta died a few months ago. He developed a very large growth on his throat under his gills. His name was Fishy-Poo and I was sad to see him go.

I do have to say that your method sounds quite dreadful.
default_no.gif
But then again any type of euthanasia isn't pleasant.

Sorry you lost your little buddy
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's honestly one of the most humane ways to do it. I spoke to several knowledgeable fish enthusiasts the last time I had to do this. You put him in a bag with just enough water to cover his body, then put him in a container and put him in the freezer. His brain numbs and he goes to sleep and then just freezes to death. It does sound dreadful, but the most humane way (with clove oil) isn't available to me, so this is the most humane way I can do it. I certainly was not going to flush him alive! Now THAT would be awful! I did not want him to have to suffer and die on his own.

Thank you
default_smile.png
I'm sad too. I'm not too attached to him, as I've had him a short time, but it's still very sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's honestly one of the most humane ways to do it. I spoke to several knowledgeable fish enthusiasts the last time I had to do this. You put him in a bag with just enough water to cover his body, then put him in a container and put him in the freezer. His brain numbs and he goes to sleep and then just freezes to death. It does sound dreadful, but the most humane way (with clove oil) isn't available to me, so this is the most humane way I can do it. I certainly was not going to flush him alive! Now THAT would be awful! I did not want him to have to suffer and die on his own.

Thank you
default_smile.png
I'm sad too. I'm not too attached to him, as I've had him a short time, but it's still very sad.
Hypothermia euthanasia is one of the easiest ways to go. Even humans suffer very little from this.

Fish and reptiles being cold blooded fall into a stupor/hibernation and have no real idea let alone suffering when they are euthanized in this manner.

This also is a relatively humane way to go for birds and small mammals in the event a vet cannot be found quickly. Dry ice works much more quickly with warm blooded mammals. Knowing how to euthanize I think is extremely important, be it gunshot, freezer, ether, etc......there is nothing worse than seeing an animal suffer while waiting.

Thank you for that, runamuk.

Yes, I do agree with you. It is important to know how and when to humanely let a beloved pet go.

i've had to do this a few times. my method is to prepare a bowl of ice water, let the cubes chill the water for a few minutes, dip the fish out, place him in the bowl with the ice cubes. death is almost instantaneous.

sorry you lost your betta.
default_sad.png

I had a Beta named fish. He lived for 2 years, he was healty until about a week before he died. There wasnt anything really wrong with him, he was just old I guess.
default_no.gif

Well he got flushed and that was that.

Im so sorry for you and Fish Dude.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back