good books

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orin

Reaction score
Anyone got any reccomendations of good books?

Breeding/training/showing/medical etc etc

The four top books that we have continued to go back to over the years for reference are:

"Miniature Horses - Their Care, Breeding and Coat Colors" by Barbara Naviaux ...."Blessed are the Broodmares" AND "Blessed are the Foals" both by Phyllis Lose, VMD....

"Horse Colors" by Spondenburg (sp) -- He also has published a second version of this book which is co-authored.

A 5th book that is pretty good is "The Complete Book of Foaling" by Karen E.N. Hayes, DVM -- mostly because she uses so many pictures.

Thanks guys. Have ordered blessed are the broodmares
default_smile.png

Ive read a few. Honestly, i cant remember anything from them. I learn by seeing, so if you are looking to learn how to show/train/breed etc then you need to see it happening.

I'm with Miniv. Miniature Horses, Their Care, Breeding, and Coat Colors has been my bible since I got my first minis almost 20 years ago. I re-read Blessed Are the Broodmares every spring!

goldilocks is right; the best way to learn is by seeing and doing, but not everyone has access to that. Here is a list of the mini horse books that I have. I have read everyone of them and they are all excellent books full of wonderful information. Pat Elder writes many goods books on miniature horses. You should visit small horse which has many miniatures horse books.

​Mini Horse Books

The Miniature Horse - The Complete Guide to the Fascinating World of Miniatures By: Jill Swedlow Coffey

The Book of Miniature Horses - Buying, Breeding, Training, Showing, and Enjoying By: Donna Campbell Smith

Train Your Own Mini By: Cynthia Tunstall

Training Miniature Performance Horses - A Comprehensive Guide to Hunter; Jumper; and Halter Obstacle By: Jennifer Alisia Garrett

Mini School - Train Your Mini to Be All He Can Be By: Sabine Ellinger

Step By Step Guide To Training a Miniature Horse to Drive By: Mindy Schroder

Miniature Horses - A Veterinary Guide for Owners and Breeders By: Rebecca L. Frankeny, VMD

Pat Elder Books

Success with Miniature Horses - The Experts Speak Out

Train Your Miniature Horse to Drive

Training and Showing Your Miniature Halter Horse

Non-miniature Horse Books

Trick Training for Horses - Fun Ways to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Horse By: Bea Borelle

How to Think Like a Horse - The Essential Handbook for Understanding Why Horses Do What They Do By: Cherry Hill

The Illustrated Guide to Holistic Care for Horses - An Owners Manual By: Denise Bean-Raymond

Last edited by a moderator:
Fab thanks guys!!

Just want some good reading material
default_smile.png
will get some of those above!

I understand the original poster's desire for books. It is (perhaps) better to learn by seeing/doing? But if not available or even if it is, it's nice to lounge on the couch and learn what you're going to do next.

Book recommendations are dependent on what you're trying to do. If you're a rank beginner, I kind of like the Storey's Guides. They're not aimed at miniatures, but you can learn a lot that I see people inquiring on these forums over and over, regarding general horse care, barns, etc. The book I gained the most from is by Cherry Hill--101 Ground Training Exercises, which is not aimed at mini owners.

I'm going to pore over Annasdreamer's list to check for books I may have missed.... But there's one title I have to disagree with: Miniature Horses - A Veterinary Guide for Owners and Breeders By: Rebecca L. Frankeny, VMD

Perhaps I had inflated expectations but I was hoping for a veterinary reference. This book was not it. Obviously if there's serious issues, you take the animal to a vet. I don't know who the target audience was for this book. It was too simplistic for other vets, but had little to offer horse owners (in my opinion.) The best chapter in the book, although vague, was the chapter on Nutrition... somebody else-some dude wrote that chapter. Huge disappointment!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with AngC that Miniature Horses - A Veterinary Guide for Owners and Breeders By: Rebecca L. Frankeny, VMD is not one of the best books. I thought it would be more of a guide for owners and breeders, but it seemed to lack many of the basic medical concerns of minis.

Here are some more non-mini related books. I have read all these also and they are all amazing books!

The Original Horse Bible - The Definitive Source For All Things Horse By: Moira C. Reeve and Sharon Biggs

Storey’s Guide to Training Horses By: Heather Smith Thomas

Basic Horsemanship - English and western By: Eleanor F. Prince and Gardell M. Collier

Horse Show Judging for Beginners - Getting Started as a Horse Show Judge By: Hallie I. McEvoy

Bombproof Your Horse - Teach Your Horse to Be Confident, Obedient, and Safe No Matter What Your Encounter By: Sgt. Rick Pelicano

Latest posts

Back