Good Article On the Horse Market

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This part of the article is especially enlightening.

"The first adaptation Thorson recommends is to cut back breeding. The American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA) produces more horses than any other known breed entity, according to Thorson. In a recent American Horse Council (AHC) census, AQHA new horse registrations were up 54 percent between 1995 and 2005. AQHA transfers of ownership, on the other hand, were only up seven percent. There is an abundance of horses being bred into an industry that lacks a market to purchase them. The AHC census also showed that while the number of horses being produced since 1996 has increased by 2.3 million horses, the number of horse owners has only increased by 100,000.

Thorson recommends that breeders produce fewer horses each year and invest more time in the training of the horses they do produce. There is a glut of young, unbroke horses at a time where the marketplace is demanding the broke, steady horse, Thorson said. The changing of demographics has caused the older, larger generation to typically desire a finished horse they can have fun with."

I think this article would hold true for mini owners and breeders.

Very good article. Thanks for Sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
Good article. I think it's a wakeup call for all of us, to really look at our stock with a critical eye and breed carefully. Cutting down on the number of mares bred each year, is absolutely necessary in this difficult climate. The US economy is in the toilet. Irresponsible breeding of whole herds willy-nilly must be a thing of the past. Rescues are full and millions of horses are being sent to slaughter. It doesn't need to happen.

Lizzie

IMO it's imperative not only to cut down on mares bred but to train the ones we have for useful purposes. I insisted that all my horses be trained for driving as well as halter and now they have also all been exposed to jumping and obstacle. I believe even a breeding stallion should be able to do something besides just stand around and wait.

This is my favorite part of the article.

Along with the physical change of numbers from the Baby Boom era to Generation X, Thorson pointed out that ‘Generation Xers’ generally have become known for living for themselves more than the Baby Boomers. The majority of today’s up-and-coming horse owners want a ‘brand name’ baby. The Baby Boomers began breeding horses in a time where bloodlines were localized due to common breeding practices. Many of today’s formative stallions were just becoming popular when the Baby Boomers were getting started and were confined to a specific area of the country. This forced horse owners to look at the individual first, bloodlines second.

IMO it's imperative not only to cut down on mares bred but to train the ones we have for useful purposes. I insisted that all my horses be trained for driving as well as halter and now they have also all been exposed to jumping and obstacle. I believe even a breeding stallion should be able to do something besides just stand around and wait.

Nothing to add except
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Excellent article and thank you for sharing it.

IMHO though, the Mini market is slightly different than the big horses, as we can't ride them and not everyone wants to drive. So the extensive training for a mare/gelding/stallion, unless you plan to show for a number of years or are doing it for your own personal satisfaction you'll likely never recoup the time/money from that. I'm not saying don't just saying well trained driving geldings that to me should be in the $2-5k range depending on experience/ability - the average buyer wants for $1K or less.

The reality is other than breeders and those that show at the breed shows, most Minis end up in a pet home regardless of quality. Even those that do show locally, drive, do therapy work, etc., tend to view them as pets. Which is great, I'm not knocking it by any means, it's just the reality. Minis average price is much, much lower than the big breeds. Thankfully they're much cheaper to keep!

I love Minis they're my breed of choice, but they do not have an extensive show career or payouts/rewards for showing (versus the big breeds), they are bought/sold for considerably less than many big horse breeds too. And the end of the day a pet doesn't have to be double registered/PQ tested and great conformation. Should it be, IMHO yes. The reality for a non-breeding horse - no. I compare it to dog breeds. Most of us want dogs out of AKC parents, even if we never show/breed, we like to 'think' they're quality.

As for breeding less - definitely agree. That falls on breeders (ALL BREEDERS - whether one foal or 50) to stop selling intact colts that should be gelded, or fillies/mares that do not need to be in the breeding pool (dwarf carriers or other genetic problems). I know breeders that justify using mares/stallions as they only have a random dwarf or other genetic issue. Sorry I won't touch your stock if that's your thought process. If we continue to raise the bar on overall quality, breed for quality not quantity this would in turn limit the number of horses ending up in auctions (or now at with rescues) that would benefit all of us. That also involves educating the public and those new to the breed. Something many breeders do NOT do. They sell okay horses for breeding to inexperienced people. Not a good mix.

If you read the article with a critical eye, the Baby Boomers will be a great market for Mini breeders. As our country's largest population ages, the horse owners maturing and transition out of the large horses, but still want that horse fix - great market for Minis! So a correct, family friendly Mini that can maybe drive or hold their own at a local show will always be valued.

Regarding the smaller pool of buyers in the following generations, yes they will be a smaller buying group of educated buyers. I think that's great. I'd rather sell to an informed person that has the basics on equine/Mini ownership than not. I don't talk people into buying a Mini, in fact I do discourage some or caution them to wait until they know more. I'll share whatever I know with them including my in the trenches education.

I don't think it was a harsh statement Diane. I do think that as responsible breeders, we should handle youngsters and make sure they lead/pick up feet etc., before sale. If we keep them until older, then are is lots more training we can put into them. We don't necessarily have to send them to a pro trainer, but a great deal can and should be done by the breeder before sale. I absolutely hate to see huge herds, bred yearly and the youngsters sold without having had the basics.

As was said before, many Minis go to pet homes. Homes where the new owner might not know a great deal about horse ownership. A horse of any size, who has been given basic training, will make it much easier for the new owner and easier for the horse to make the transition.

Our youngsters all know how to lead, stand quietly for grooming and the farrier and when of age (if large horses) trained under saddle. All know how to hop into a trailer if asked. The little ones are trained to the cart. They might never be ridden or driven, but at least they have some basics.

We live in a fire-prone area and my daughter does rescue during fires. It is a dreadful situation when trying to rescue horses from fires, when they have not been given basic training or been trained to jump into a trailer. It puts my daughter and the horses she rescues each year, in immense danger.

So I'll stand by my earlier statement. It is irresponsible IMO, to not give horses even the basic of training.

Lizzie

No worries Diane. I'm quite sure we are on the same page, when it comes to horses of any size. I took driving lessons in the '70's. Well I didn't do very well at all. I was much more comfortable on top than behind a horse. My daughter drives Chester occasionally. This just to give him something to do and give my oldest granddaughter a little driving experience. Normally, we don't drive any horses, large or small. And I agree, not every Mini needs to be driven.

As a sidenote regarding fires. We in S. California, suffer incredibly horrible forest fires, almost every year. Last time my daughter went out, driving through flames each side of country roads to rescue, she brought home 11 horses. Most were large horses. She didn't even see the owners. Just loaded those whom she could catch and brought them home. One was a big, rather unruly stallion and the others mares and a couple with babies by side. I remember she just threw one Mini into the tack room of the trailer. She kept them over two weeks before the owners contacted her and arranged to pick them up. While she has the room and safe stables for all, she can't afford to feed 11 large breed horses. It astounded us, that the owners never even brought her as much as a bale of hay when picking up the horses. She didn't ask payment, but a bale or two of hay would have been a nice gesture for saving their horses and risking her life, driving though the night into places she didn't know, all of which were on fire.

Lizzie

I don't think it was a harsh statement Diane. I do think that as responsible breeders, we should handle youngsters and make sure they lead/pick up feet etc., before sale. If we keep them until older, then are is lots more training we can put into them. We don't necessarily have to send them to a pro trainer, but a great deal can and should be done by the breeder before sale. I absolutely hate to see huge herds, bred yearly and the youngsters sold without having had the basics.

As was said before, many Minis go to pet homes. Homes where the new owner might not know a great deal about horse ownership. A horse of any size, who has been given basic training, will make it much easier for the new owner and easier for the horse to make the transition.
Lizzie you could not have said it better. We had a family come out to our farm to look at horses last week to hopefully find a mini that would be a great pet for their twins. We walked out into the pasture and of course all or our horses came right up to see if someone may have a treat or some petting for them. We had one little mare in mind that would probably be a fit for them so we put a halter on her and let the 4 year old twins lead her in the round pen with a little help of course. They fell in love with her and also were intrigued by another horse that just took up with mom right away. He has been shown in driving and jumping but has not been worked in almost a year due to us having client horses to work. They went home and discussed it and decided that we needed to deliver both of the horses to them. LOL

They told us that they had looked at horses at other places but the horses were in a pasture and they had to round them up to catch one for them to touch . The horses were not halter broke and reared when they tried to lead them. It helped that both of our horses were taught basic ground maners and also that the gelding had been cart trained even though he had not been driven in a lot of shows. This gave them the confidence that the boys could do a lot more with the horses than just pet them. Sometimes "just pet" horses get forgotten after a while . If the owners can have the added fun of jumping, doing some obstacles etc,I think they will be more inclined to stay interested in their minis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you all know my view but here is the condensed version. It is a supply and demand issue. We have an ample, overflowing supply and the demand has decreased. Our economy is terrible but mostly it's the high supply. Minis are no longer uncommon. I hope people will realize this and slow down with the breeding. We are going to have to because we are finally noticing a decrease in demand. I literally heard the stupidest argument of my lifetime. "Well, gas prices increase and gas isn't selling any less." People need gas to get to work to pay their bills and feed their families. Nobody NEEDS horses, no matter the breed, especially when it comes down to feed my family? or feed my horses?

I cannot imagine my life without horses but I can tell you I don't NEED them to live.

Totally agree that breeders need to breed less and train more. I've been turned off by so many horses because they don't know how to freakin lead and these are adult horses! They need that basic training when they are young but when breeders breed 20+ every year I don't know how they can manage to do that unless they have hired help.

Also too many stallions, thats another problem we have. And people need to start gelding and start training those geldings to make really good all-around performance horses and make a great kids horse.

Back