Good and bad neck set pictures?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottein

Reaction score
I am doing pretty well on picking up on the different more desirable conformation points, but I am having trouble with the neck set. Can you post some comparison pictures to show me some good and bad ones please?

I don't know if I have anything for comparison, but I think even though this is a 4 day old foal, you can see how high the neck ties in. Many people who see this photo go "Ooh, look at the neck" but one person (a trainer) said "Look at that lovely shoulder". If the shoulder is well laid back like this one is, it is much more likely that you will like the neck. Another way to look at it is that the chest looks really deep - from the point where the neck ties in down to the base of the chest.

Max_rt_side.jpg

A slighter older Max showing the same thing from the other side:

Max_7_13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like both have lovely backs and great tailsets too.

The photos in my earlier post are the same mini, just different sides, a few weeks apart. Thanks for the comments on the rest of him. Remember that all the parts have to tie together somehow (i.e. the skeleton), so if there is a major fault somewhere, it very likely will affect another part of the body.

Now please don't laugh - but I did find this 60 year old photo, so I can be pretty sure this horse is no longer alive. It was taken at Santa's Land or some such place, but I think you can see the difference in where this neck ties in and how it affects the way the horse/pony holds it's head. This is NOT what you want.

Mary_pic_1950-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back