Good afternoon

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazeleyes

Reaction score
Hello! I'm Kim and I live offgrid close to Ashcroft BC Canada. My boyfriend has a large horse, we have 2 awesome dogs too! I've been taking care of my boyfriend's horse for the last 3 years during the day whilst he is at work. I've decided I would like to purchase a miniature horse to add to our furry family! I'm on here to learn about minis and different experiences everyone is having with them. Thank you for having me here! I will be buying a miniature horse in the next few months. Have a great weekend!

Kim
πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–πŸ‘‹πŸ˜ŠπŸŒΊ

Hazel! I have 4 minis and 1 biggie!! My little weather team: Shadow, Stormy, Breezy, & Thunder. All 4 of my little boys get along really good together, as long as they listen to Shadow, he bosses everyone around. 🀣 My biggie Riffics weighs 1150 pounds, & my tiniest , Thunder, weighs only 120 pounds.….so they never go out together. Riffics can be a bully and would probably kill one of my minis, they get to be friends over the fence.

They truely are ALL horse!!! LOL!! Shadow drives a cart, Stormy does tricks, Breezy is the baby and goes for walks, and Thunder & I roller skate together. There really are so many things you can do with these little guys, I can’t wait to see yours!!…. And why just have 1? They say they are like potato chips, you can’t have just 1!!! πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

Wow Kelly!
I am thrilled to hear of your herd! Is that right? Herd? Your minis sound delightful to be around and how nice that they have company for themselves πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’– Thank you for your kindness, I'm looking to start with one mini in a few months. I am paying off a trailer to live in and have to get it winterized before snowfall! I live offgrid on a mountain near Ashcroft BC Canada. Winter always sneaks up on us! Lol! So I am hoping on getting a payment plan on one to start. I will keep you posted!πŸ’žπŸ΄πŸ’žπŸ΄πŸ’žπŸ΄πŸ’ž

I think miniatures are just like big horses. Some are nice and some are not. Personally, I have had better experiences with mares than with geldings.
I have a gelding that just turned 25. I've had him for 20 years. He is an ornery boy, but we have learned a lot from each other. I have learned from all the horses I've had.
I would definitely look for temperament in a horse. A good conformation. Color would be my last consideration--speaking from experience.
How do you keep your animal water from freezing, off the grid?
(My son and dil live in Vancouver, Nanaimo)

Good evening MarshaπŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–

Thank you for your response. Bee Gee πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’– is a senior horse, but has lived with two mares in the past. He is a very friendly horse and let the girls boss him around. I'm hoping that he will get along with the new mini. He seems to do well around the dogs too, so I'm hoping he will like the miniπŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–

Hello! I'm Kim and I live offgrid close to Ashcroft BC Canada. My boyfriend has a large horse, we have 2 awesome dogs too! I've been taking care of my boyfriend's horse for the last 3 years during the day whilst he is at work. I've decided I would like to purchase a miniature horse to add to our furry family! I'm on here to learn about minis and different experiences everyone is having with them. Thank you for having me here! I will be buying a miniature horse in the next few months. Have a great weekend!

Kim
πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–πŸ΄πŸ’–πŸ‘‹πŸ˜ŠπŸŒΊ
Welcome! This is a good source of information from members here.:)

Welcome Kim! This is indeed a wonderful source of information and also sharing fun moments and sometimes hard ones too. πŸ€—

Bee Gee (love the name) sounds like a lovely horse. He may do very well with a little companion, but when the time comes take plenty of time to see how they do. I also no longer put the minis in with our one remaining β€œfull size” horse, Cochise. He is 39 years old and a really grand old man, but he plays rough and is aggressive at feeding time to other horses. (Like I get when there is one brownie left πŸ˜‚ )

I have 6 minis ranging in age from 15 years to 28 years, and Madelaine, a mini donkey. They have been show ponies for the granddaughters, babysitters, driving ponies, and walking/hiking ponies.

Enjoy your search and as Marsha stated, temperament is a top priority. Not sure if age is a consideration for you, but if not, perhaps consider an older pony if your other boxes are checked. They have a lot to give and you may find one more affordable!

Latest posts

Back