Gold-As-Sun coat enhancer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicmac74

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a light palomino mare and a pinto palomino gelding. I have just started them on Gold-As-Sun to try to deepen their colour if that is at all possible. They have been on it a week, now I am not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me, but they look a littler darker and their white looks whiter. Maybe it is just wishful thinking seeing as it quite expensive!Still, it got good reviews on Smartpak...just curious if anyone on this forum has had any luck. In a month, I will post some before and after pics!

I haven't used it but ground flax seed can really bring out the gold (and the bloom)
default_yes.gif

I use ground flax seed too. I started using it this year after hearing so much about it on here from Jill
default_biggrin.png

It works GREAT. I had a palomino who was white in winter and darkens up in summer. I have been using it on her since March for show season and have run out a couple of times here and there and I can tell a big difference from when she's on it and when she's not. She gets a really deep gold color with dapples when she's on it.

Also, my sorrel gelding has terrible dandruff and it cleared that up as well. It's not just for palominos. It works for all colors to bring out the richness and shine.

It's not that expensive either. I buy it in bulk from Earthfair(organic grocery store) and bought a mini coffee grinder to grind it up. Once it's ground up you have to use it fairly quickly though or it will lose it potency(or so I've been told). If you leave it whole, I've been told it's good for clearing out sand in the gut(haven't used it for that though).

I used a combo of whole flaxseed, BOSS and soaked beetpulp for my big horses...it did give a nice rich colour and dapples but he was a super flashy sorrel with flaxen mane and tail and already had his "glow" on. I just thought it would be intersting to see if one of these specialized products really works..will keep you posted!If not, back to the old mix, I go.
default_smile.png

I have not had mini's before so am kinda feeling out how much they need and what they need etc. I am feeding orchard hay right now...I feed three times a day..just small amounts but it adds up to approx. a flake between the two of them per day plus 1 cup of sweetfeed with the Gold As Sun and some Bug Guard plus they have their mineral lick. No pasture right now as it is re-seeded and needs to revive. Does that sound about right diet wise?They don't do a lot of excercise..just walks and playing with each other in the paddock. They don't seem too skinny or too fat but I have only had them a couple of weeks and they came from a big ranch so they are really benefiting from all the added attention and TLC. I did love the flaxsed for all its great properties..clearing up dandruff being one of them!

I use ground flax seed too. I started using it this year after hearing so much about it on here from Jill
default_biggrin.png

It works GREAT. I had a palomino who was white in winter and darkens up in summer. I have been using it on her since March for show season and have run out a couple of times here and there and I can tell a big difference from when she's on it and when she's not. She gets a really deep gold color with dapples when she's on it.

Also, my sorrel gelding has terrible dandruff and it cleared that up as well. It's not just for palominos. It works for all colors to bring out the richness and shine.

It's not that expensive either. I buy it in bulk from Earthfair(organic grocery store) and bought a mini coffee grinder to grind it up. Once it's ground up you have to use it fairly quickly though or it will lose it potency(or so I've been told). If you leave it whole, I've been told it's good for clearing out sand in the gut(haven't used it for that though).

i tried it a couple years ago with 2 different palominos. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. try the advice of the forum members or I use with great sucess, DAC Oil and Orange Superior. www.feeddac.com

Thanks for the info!I will use up the tub I bought and just see how it goes. I have heard other people say they love Dac oil too so I guess I could try that next time.
default_smile.png

i tried it a couple years ago with 2 different palominos. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. try the advice of the forum members or I use with great sucess, DAC Oil and Orange Superior. www.feeddac.com

I tried Gold as Sun once and never again will I ever purchase any of those products. It gave my horse the oddest colored goat and it looked terrible. We are now using DAC Oil and DAC Orange Superior and are, so far, please with the results.

~Jen~

Just a note on the flaxseed, I feed it and have raised palominos for over 30 years.

But note for those that HAVE a darker palomino to begin with the flaxseed it does tend to cause black spots if they are prone to have them, but if your not showing or don't mind the black spots I say FEED IT. It is THEE BEST coat conditioner for the money.

My minis tend to be lighter palomino than my Quarter Horses and I have not seen it affect the darkness of their coat. I have also tried the Paprika which did NOTHING (the ingredient in gold as sun).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used it with very nice results.....I only have 4 in the barn I have it on, as only have three (all different shades of buckskins) and one palomino, and they all have nice coats. And 3 of the 4 are not loosing a bit of their color when clipped.

This was just a trial for me, as up until this season I had not tired it, but Prankster would loose his "gold" and look more silver buckskin when clipped and so far he's very gold and dappley.

I think a lot has to deal with what we feed other than supplements......and the supplements are just a little icing.

I use it and LOVE it. You have to keep the horses in during the day just like the black ones. I buy mine through SmartPak and I never run out as they automatically drop ship it once a month.

I'm with Erica, a lot has to do with the feed you use, in general. I like Blue Seal Demand and it is heavy into soymeal as the base. This is excellent protein and what coats/hooves like to a good extent. Flaxseed is my choice for an added enhancer.....it just makes all colors more intense, IMO. Even the white shines on my guys. It's less expensive to buy than some other items, whole at feed stores in 25-50#. And I find it at Wal-Mart, already ground, in 1# boxes in the flour section. So, if only a couple horses, go there.

Some animals do not have intense color -- period. But good feed will bring out those that do. I notice that most of mine have very "tight" coats. That is, it lays tight as if they had been shaved and it was grown back to that "perfect
default_smile.png
" length we all want at a show. Another thing that I have noticed is that pallys sometimes vary in color depth from year to year. Possibly has something to do with the hay/grass that we are able to get to them, don't know, just my thoughts on it.

Oh, I like to mix it with some wet BP. Both things will bloom them out! ---"bloom" for person who asked, it's just like a flower -- a bud, then an exquisite flower! Same thing, they have a decent coat, then WOW it just takes on depth of color, shine, slickness, etc. Mine actually look like they have been polished
default_wub.png

Hi Erica,

Just out of curiosity...what else are you feeding?I would love to know!I am trying to tweak my minis' diet as, each one is is different, but it is always good to hear other's successful feeding plans!

I have used it with very nice results.....I only have 4 in the barn I have it on, as only have three (all different shades of buckskins) and one palomino, and they all have nice coats. And 3 of the 4 are not loosing a bit of their color when clipped.

This was just a trial for me, as up until this season I had not tired it, but Prankster would loose his "gold" and look more silver buckskin when clipped and so far he's very gold and dappley.

I think a lot has to deal with what we feed other than supplements......and the supplements are just a little icing.

That is interesting!I have not heard of Blue Seal Demand so will look into that.How much to you give them? Do you feed hay?grass or alfalfa? How much flaxseed do you give mini's?I used to give my biggies flaxseed and was happy with it but obviously proportions change when feeding mini's!Do you grind it?I used to feed it whole. Sorry...so many questions but am new to the mini's.

You are right..some naturally don't have that deep colour ....mine just look like they need a little extra for that "bloom".

I'm with Erica, a lot has to do with the feed you use, in general. I like Blue Seal Demand and it is heavy into soymeal as the base. This is excellent protein and what coats/hooves like to a good extent. Flaxseed is my choice for an added enhancer.....it just makes all colors more intense, IMO. Even the white shines on my guys. It's less expensive to buy than some other items, whole at feed stores in 25-50#. And I find it at Wal-Mart, already ground, in 1# boxes in the flour section. So, if only a couple horses, go there.

Some animals do not have intense color -- period. But good feed will bring out those that do. I notice that most of mine have very "tight" coats. That is, it lays tight as if they had been shaved and it was grown back to that "perfect
default_smile.png
" length we all want at a show. Another thing that I have noticed is that pallys sometimes vary in color depth from year to year. Possibly has something to do with the hay/grass that we are able to get to them, don't know, just my thoughts on it.

Oh, I like to mix it with some wet BP. Both things will bloom them out! ---"bloom" for person who asked, it's just like a flower -- a bud, then an exquisite flower! Same thing, they have a decent coat, then WOW it just takes on depth of color, shine, slickness, etc. Mine actually look like they have been polished
default_wub.png

Hi,

Smartpak is wonderful. I agree. It makes it so easy!All your horses look beautiful in the pics..what else do you feed besides the Gold as Sun supplement? I am so interested in what works for people!
default_laugh.png

I use it and LOVE it. You have to keep the horses in during the day just like the black ones. I buy mine through SmartPak and I never run out as they automatically drop ship it once a month.

Nicola,

You'll find that what works for one person may not work for the next. I feed a 12% protein/6% fat pellet, wet BP, and alfalfa to most of my show horses. One horse in particular just gets a grass hay because of his behavior issues. Some of the horses are on color supplements such as Gold As Sun, Black As Knight, or Red D Vinity. Some are on a 99% fat supplement as well. It's all in the feed! You can work a horse to death, but if you aren't feeding well and deworming well, then your efforts are for naught. And the most expensive feed isn't always the best either! Learn to read labels.

default_wub.png
Thanks so much for helping with defining the term. I understand better now.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back