Going to the dentist

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my horses to the dentist today. I was very pleased when the vet looked at Dapper Dan's mouth and was amazed he is 24. They go to the dentist once a year. I was not so happy when he told me Midnight needs to lose 60 pounds. He has a new small speculum for little equines now and also new tools for small equines. He was so happy to be using them on my horses. Dapper Dan showed us his pearlies and wondered why he had to go to the dentist when they are working perfectly fine already.DD at dentist.jpgdd dentist.jpg

We just had the dentist out here too. Glad your dentist can't see my minis. Blue looks pregnant with twins. They had gotten thin this summer so I've been feeding them a little too to make up for it I think. Hooray for DD's amazing teeth! He takes a fantastic photo.

I should probably give a shout out for anyone who is near western Oklahoma. The vet clinic recently opened a full service equine clinic, able to do surgeries, scoping, and most medical procedures. We used to drive 2+ hours to an equine hospital.
He charged $85 for teeth (last year it was $65); the equine dentist I was using, who came to my house, raised her rates to $135, so I'm happy this vet is so close.
This clinic is 50 miles from me. Highland Veterinary Clinic.

Last edited:
I have been trailering my horses to a vet not too far from my home where they have an equine dentist that comes in and I've been happy with him. I don't use the vet there because they don't do emergency ranch calls.
A new group of vets I have been using will come to your place to do teeth which would be very convienent for me but I've been debating because I've heard that not all vets are great at teeth although I've had a vet do a good job in the past. Thoughts anyone?

I have been trailering my horses to a vet not too far from my home where they have an equine dentist that comes in and I've been happy with him. I don't use the vet there because they don't do emergency ranch calls.
A new group of vets I have been using will come to your place to do teeth which would be very convienent for me but I've been debating because I've heard that not all vets are great at teeth although I've had a vet do a good job in the past. Thoughts anyone?

Your best bet is ask around.......even ask them for references!

Some vets that do large horse dental work don't really like to do minis. Mine is one of them, she'll do an emergency dental float if the get a sharp point or have an issue that comes up fast, but routine for routine dental care she sends me to another vet. So I would ask the specific vet that you have in mind how they feel about working on a mini's mouth. You may get a different answer from each vet at the clinic (it's happened!) It seems to be like farrier work, some just don't want to touch the minis.

I was only able to find one other person that has used them, but not the same vet that has been here. I think I'll probably stick with the equine dentist just to be safe. He is so thorough, even fills out a dental diagram and goes over everything he did with you.
I think I was just looking at the convienence of having someone come here.

I was only able to find one other person that has used them, but not the same vet that has been here. I think I'll probably stick with the equine dentist just to be safe. He is so thorough, even fills out a dental diagram and goes over everything he did with you.
I think I was just looking at the convienence of having someone come here.
It's nice when you get a dental diagram, especially with young horses, so you can have a reference. I have a couple of Dapper Dan's from the past; I need to remember to take them next year for the vet to see.

The vet scared me about Midnight, suggesting she could be a candidate for IR. I am taking her 2 miles with the golf cart, or taking her on my 2 mile walks, every day. I will try to drive her more, too. She is on dry lot during the day with a slow feed hay bag. I am satisfied with my supplemental feeding regimen, so I'm not going to alter that. Unlimited pasture and minimal exercise is the cause of her weight gain. With winter coming up, it could be challenging to exercise her, but I'm going to work on it seriously. I told the vet I planned to show him improvement when he sees her next year.

Latest posts

Back