Going motorcycle shopping tomorrow

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
Well, I've had a fear of motorcycles for years every since my brother dumped his while I was on it. Today my best friend took me for a ride on his motorcycle, and I WANT ONE !!! So, I called my husband and told him we were going to get a motorcycle, and that I wanted to go shopping around to see what kind I wanted.

Anyone got any advice? Helmets are a must... no two ways about that one. Even though it's not a law in Arkansas, it's a law in my book.
default_yes.gif

Kim.....no.

Last edited by a moderator:
WELL...I hate them. John & I over the years have been in seven accidents (none our fault) and 3 weeks ago a friend where John works was riding and they found him dead in the ditch at 10 at night. They figured he was blown off the rode by high winds or missed the curve in the road or got run off the road...doesn't matter dead is dead and if you have degenerative eyes isn't that a little risky?

I don't like them either, they are dangerous...normally, it's not the driver of the cycle that causes problems, but other drivers around them. My husband and I had one for a little while, but we didn't use it much, so we sold it off...I was always the passenger. But if you want one, that's entirely up to you. Is this a bike that both you and your husband can drive? Or do you want to be just the passenger?

My Father has a Yamaha Royal Star I believe it is. It of course comes in different cc's. But my Aunt has one two, one of the smaller ones and they are very nice bikes at a reasonable price....Harley's are so overpriced. My aunt is small and 65 yrs old and has no problem handling her bike...she loves it. Or are you wanting one of those crotch rocket things? I know nothing about them. Harley Sporsters are smaller and can be easily handled by women...but sometimes men won't drive them because...they feel it's a womans bike.
default_wacko.png

If you are wanting to go on long rides, a touring bike is nice (like a Honda Gold Wing)..nice big seats for your bum...on the downsize, they are heavy for women to be driving. There are so many factors...kinda just like buying a car...do your homework. On the plus side...they take very little gas and with the price of that today, that's always a good thing!

Safety...whomever is going to be driving it should take a motorcycle safety course...when my hubby had his bike, it was mandatory in PA, don't know if it is where you are or not. But it was a week long, 2-3 hrs in the evening and you had to pass a written and driving test and you got your endorsement at the end of the week, no need to go to the state's driving center, so it was actually nice...they also provided the bikes and I believe it was only like $40, but that was a while ago.

You are definately going to have to get you both some leathers
default_biggrin.png
. Leather pants or chaps...they will save you from the inevitable spill at a stop sign...which you WILL have...please do not wear shorts on a bike and always wear somekind of heavy boot. Leather jacket too...that was actually the fun part...shopping for the leather. And of course a full helmet...I know the half helmets are so much cooler
default_biggrin.png
, but you might as wear nothing if you are going to wear one of those.

My Dad always told the joke about helmets when he and my hubby use to ride....the difference between a helmet on a bike is the differance between an open or closed casket at your funeral...I know..sick, but seriously a helmet will save you...and a full face shield will keep the bugs out of your teeth
default_biggrin.png

Safety is #1 so definately have the driver take the course, even if they've had one many years earlier, take it again.

It was fun to ride, but it is dangerous...so just do all your homework before you head out on the highway. I hope I didn't discourage you.

I bet your hubby was exstatic (sp?) when you called to tell him you want one...that's every man's dream!
default_yes.gif

Have fun shopping!

My husband has two Harleys. They do hold their resale value. We have a Roadking with a sidecar that we could sell for more than we paid for it; and a Fatboy. Most Harleys are built for taller people; however they do make lowering kits that make them fit shorter people. Make sure whoever will drive it drives it (and others so you can compare the ride and comfort level) before you buy it as some bikes are not comfortable depending on the weight of the cycle and the height of the seat.

We wear boots, helmets with visors, long sleeve shirts, gloves, and blue jeans (some of the pipes get hot and also if it goes down it may help save your skin) when we ride in the summer. Leather when it is cooler. It also ties my hair in knots so I tie my hair back. Also, try to get one with a gas gauge. I have a sissy bar and not just pegs but floor boards for my feet that fold up and down.

We have not had any mishaps or accidents. Hubby has ridden bikes for about 30 years but still took a safety course a couple years ago. Safety courses are wonderful, drivers learn a lot from them. I am just a passenger, I don't want to drive.

If you are going on longer trips, you may want walkie talkies in the helmets and saddle bags for extra rain gear and storage. We have taken our Harley on vacation for a week at a time and plan on doing it again this year. It is a great view!

Anyone got any advice?
Since "don't get one" is probably not going to be anything you'd agree with, just be really careful. No matter how safe you are on your motorcycle, think of all the idiots out there in cars not paying enough attention to what they're doing, or where you are.

I don't like them. My best friend from High School was killed on his on 4/12/08. My husband's best friend was kille on his many years ago, I've been in an accident when I was younger. Just be very careful as it's not always the motorcyclists fault for an accident, it's usually another dirve's.

Christy

Love them. Have a Shadow 1100. Get one where your center of gravity feels set. Never wear a helmet myself but it is a good idea to get in the habit of.

My husband used to think he wanted one (I always was resistant) until several of his co-workers were injured or killed while riding motorcycles. People driving in cars and other vehicles too many times don't pay enough attention -- how many times I've been almost been hit in my big SUV by some idiot who was talking on their cell phone and didn't see me!-- and you have very little protection while on a motorcycle.

If you do go get one, my only advice is BE CAREFUL!!!

I wouldn't ever be driving the motorcycle. I've quit driving about 2 years ago because of my eyes. Donnie would be the driver of it.

We mainly want one for him to drive back and forth to work on to save on gas money. Throw in an occasional road trip here and there.

I've always been afraid of them... mostly because just trying to avoid a dog, squirrel, cat, pot hole, whatever can cause you to wreck. That and people pulling out in front of you, or people passing another car and coming into your lane.

I read about accidents all the time... but my hubby has been wanting a motorcycle to drive to work. I'm afraid of him getting into an accident because he comes home from work sometimes (he works nights.) and he nearly falls asleep on his way home if he hasn't had enough rest.

Maybe we'll just go look at them to appease his want for one.... I'm re-thinking the idea now.

I saw a gorgeous three-wheeled motorcycle yesterday (didn't even know they made them!). I didn't notice what brand it was, but it had the second seat with a back rest, and it was BIG. IF I ever were to ride a motorcycle, I'd probably go for one like that. But I don't know how a guy would feel about it, maybe he would get teased about having a "trike"?

When my hubby wanted one, I told him that he would have to quadruple his life insurance first, because when he was killed on it I wanted to have the money as consolation. He never did go bike shopping.
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back