Going Crosseyed looking at my Pregnant Maiden Mare- Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Morning Lovely people ,

Sorry but no Joy at the races Yesterday or in the foaling yard for that matter...........

Had a jockey on board that must of completely misheard the instructions from the trainer. Either that or he cant understand English. Not to worry he has only had 7 races and he has finished in the places all starts apart form yesterday.

ill find a Picture of him, he is 17.2 hands high and a lovely boy.

Ok, on to Rexina............... Apart from Ryan needing to learn to charge his phone , I could only get 2 photos of her. Will post them now.

Il will grab some more tonight when I get home from work.
default_thumbup.gif

Have a great Day/Night Everyone

Good Morning All,

I am going to post 2 lots of Pics for your viewing and advice.

The first lot I will post are from Feb 4th and the second lot are from March 24th.

I am having trouble seeing any difference at all , could be just my eyes.

Significant udder development was noticed by my vet on the 28th of Feb. Not a lot of further development has happened since then.

My Question to you - If this was your mare what would you do?

Do I get the vet out again to Ultrasound her (remembering I don't have an exact breeding or rough due date)

Vet confirmed she was 95% sure she was in foal and when doing the ultrasound confirmed she could see the sac.

She also mentioned that her uterus was not in the usual position if she wasn't pregnant. ( excuse my lack of knowledge on the uterus position Pregnant vs Not pregnant)

Ladies I could really use your advice
default_yes.gif

First two are from Feb 4th and second lot are from last night

Udder on the left is from last night and the one on the right is from Feb4th

Side on 2 4th Feb.JPG

Side on 4th Feb.JPG

Side on 24th March.JPG

Side on2 24th March.JPG

Udder 24th March.JPG

Udder Feb 4th.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Ryan,

Maybe get the vet out again for piece of mind.... I'm going to do the same in about 4 months just to make sure everything's on track
default_smile.png
it can't hurt, let me know what u decide.

good luck mate
default_smile.png

Thanks Sue & Flame lol.

Im going to wait a bit. Thanks to Chanda posting a couple of pics for me I now know that mares can play hide and seek better than humans can.

Worked out that's it around 4 weeks since udder development so another 2-4 weeks to go.

Not sure that I want to ultrasound her again at this stage of pregnancy.

Im going to have a stern talking to her tonight tho about concentrating on the "Job Ahead" lol

Im sure its just a Maiden thing hahahahahaha

Still hoping some of the aunties on here can spot any differences between the pic .............

Yes She was a lot darker inside her vulva color wise last night. Tho I wouldn't say it was a dark Red It was more like a dark pink/Purple colour.

He vulva is definitely longer in length than it has been.

Well that's a good thing :)I just think you have a touch I've what I had a week or so ago...... It's called being very impatient lol

Ryan, from your pics I do agree that it is not easy to see any changes, but I think that there are subtle ones and, as you say, she is a maiden so anything is possible! I know you are watching her closely and dont give up on that, especially if her vulva is changing in colour and elongating. Many non pregnant mares can gain weight, giving them a 'rounded' look and even a 'puffy' udder, but I have never heard of an overweight non pregnant mare making changes in her vulva?? Anyone else experienced this??

Not here, Anna. Her being a maiden just 'screams' I can hide well. They can carry and hide their little ones up so high, it very hard to know for sure. But, if she's experiencing changes in her vulva, I'd just keep watching her.

Thankyou Ladies,

Yes I am continuing to watch her very closely. I took her out for a walk last night around the lake at home and there was definitely plenty of movement going on inside by the way Rexina was throwing her head up, putting her ears back and having a serious look and bite at her tummy. Good to hear that Changes in her vulva are not normally recognised with non pregnant mares, I hadn't heard of this either so great to hear it from you both aswell.

She is a stocky little mare, with a rather long tummy on her so plenty of room to hide what she's got in the "slow cooker" LOL

Will grab some Hoo Haa pics tonight when I get home from work ............

Morning Everyone ,

I have a question for you all - through your experience foaling, what kind of weather do you find your mares are most comfortable foaling in.? Obviously conditions need to make the mare feel safe enough for the event to happen ,what have you noticed with your mares ??

MIne have foaled in all kinds of weather and storms. So, I'm not much good. Hopefully, someone has better statistics for you.

"What kind of weather have your mares foaled in?..."
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif

Whatever kind of weather suits them!

I had one arab mare wait until after a snow storm and she was turned out for a few hours for some exercise with the other ponies... We arrived back at the paddock to find her new colt standing in a 3' snowbank w/ the whole herd in a 1/2 circle around the pair while mom was encouraging him to step forward out of the bank. Our stall had become too deep in snow to put them back in it together, so we loaded them into a trailer and took them 2 miles up the road for a week at the barn I leased our pasture from... Her next two foals were born in beautiful spring type weather BUT also right after storms had passed thru the day/night before.

Another mare did favor rain storms - she'd been a pasture broodmare on a large ranch and had always foaled out (think she had a total of 5/6 foals before I purchased her pregnant). Her first foal for us was a horse filly - born on Memorial Day during a terrible rain/thunder/lightening storm in the morning and she wasn't expected to foal yet and was out in the pasture. Her next foal for us was born during a bad storm as well - but she was unhappily stalled. That one and the next were both 1/2 shetlands. The last was also born during a terrible storm - and again she was stalled. Her owner at the time said she was unhappy - often rearing and pawing at the barn walls and kicking at the door while in labor. As soon as the storm cleared the next morning and they opened the door she took her new filly out and they couldn't catch her again until that evening when she was ready to come in and eat!

I have often named ours for weather or Holidays but really haven't noticed that they've specifically or consistently foaled either during or right after storms. I have had a large number that have surprisingly foaled either right at or before daylight or during the day.

I have found on mares that I've been able to track actual breeding dates, that they usually carry "about" the same number of days (routinely had one mare that foaled between 313 & 318 days - she had 5 foals for us and she always managed to be sneaky about it - even when sleeping in the barn with her). Others have consistently foaled closer to "normal" full size horse dates (around 340).

Looking forward to seeing Rexina's foal!

Thanks Paula
default_yes.gif

I Suppose its like asking a maiden mare when they are will develop an Udder lol - As you said "When It suits them"

EVERYTHING is when it suits them! That's why we get so tired waiting on them. Some of them are so sneaky, that I think they've read the book, and try to do something that isn't in it, just to try and confuse us! LOL

Good Morning all,

Nipples are filling
default_thumbup.gif

When I looked inside her Vulva last night for a check up it was bright red , her vulva has never been this colour.

I thought Maybe last night may have been the night , But not so
default_smile.png

Tomorrow Is April Fools day , Maybe Rexina will have the last Laugh after all
default_thumbup.gif

Ill Upload Pics tonight when I get home from work
default_yes.gif

They certainly have their own agenda and don't
let us in but if we watch their body we can have some himts...lol
that bright red vulva is a real good hint and look at the photos of elongated
vulvas also, Diane had mine girls spot on with that
wishing you a safe foaling

Latest posts