Going Crosseyed looking at my Pregnant Maiden Mare- Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Johnson

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been reading all of your wonderful stories, advice and comments by all who are actively involved in this forum. First of all, what a great bunch you are, your stories, experiences and advice are fantastic. My mini Mare Rexina 8yo was bred to My mini Stallion Squirt early to Mid last Year. The exact date & month I am not sure on as they were paddock mates( and I mean the best of mates). These are the 2 in my profile Pic. As you can see Squirt is a lot smaller than Rexina. I do remember Rexina not coming into season again after the end of Feb tho I am not definite on this. I had her Preg tested at the end of nov 2013. The vet said she was 95% sure she was in foal. She then performed an ultrasound on the mare and said she could see the sac. My vet believed that she was between 3-11 months. To me that is a BIG timeframe to work with. The thing I have noticed a week or so ago was that she had NO reflex in her tail and her Vulva was nice and relaxed(you could even say slightly open) Hope Im making sense. To confuse me a little more last night I noticed she had some reflex back in her tail. She has a very small bag tho her nipples still haven't filled and dropped. Maiden mares do not go by the book I understand that. Has anyone had this happened before? Or if you have any advice re Pregnant Maiden Mares it would be very much appreciated. Its Summer here in Australia around the 44 degree mark so Im hoping it happens when its a little cooler. Cheers Ryan

Hi all any advice for me ? And would anyone know how to change the title above my photo "addiction free " I'm not sure what it means or how it got there . Cheers ;)

Welcome! Can you post a couple of pictures of her for us? Take one from the side, right down at her level, and one standing from the back looking down her sides....again right down at her level. That will help us see how "baby" is riding.

Your vet should have been able to give you quite an accurate date for baby if she saw a baby in there. Since she should only carry 11 months, that range is really nuts! LOL

Welcome again, and we look forward to seeing the pictures to try and help you know more about your little one!

Hi all any advice for me ? And would anyone know how to change the title above my photo "addiction free " I'm not sure what it means or how it got there . Cheers ;)
The title above your picture has to do with how long you have been a member of the group, you can't do anything about it. It'll change as time goes by. As you can see Diane is a "Forum elite member" and has nearly 12,000 posts; I don't recall what mine says, and I can't see it while I type.

Thank you guys I did take a couple of Photos last night as I had a feeling you would want to see. Diane I will take some from behind today when I get home from work. I took one of her Vulva and her bag(Or what I believe is her bag developing ) I did a little more investigation last night re Rexinas Mother. Apparently you could never tell she was carrying a foal. it was only in later pregnancies that it was obvious there was a foal inside. My stallion was the same height as a 2liter milk container when he was born. That's about 30cm in Australia. Correct me if I am wrong but the first foal a mare has is usually on the smaller side of the foals she will produce.??

Diane I know that time frame is nuts , being my first foal It has added to the head spin and sleepless nights lol. Big Thanks to you all for replying , I have seen your responses to others questions and topics and I think you are all wonderful
default_worshippy.gif

Photos to come in a moment .. Cheers Ryan

Hi Ryan and welcome to the Nutty Nursery, glad to have you and Rexina aboard.

Re the pics, you may find it easier to post directly here from your computer (photobucket keeps having 'funny turns' plus changing its format fairly often so that it becomes a bit confusing. LOL!!)

On here simply go to the 'reply to this topic', then click the 'More Reply Options' at the bottom and a new reply 'page' will appear. You can post your reply there as normal but at the bottom it also gives you the wherewithall to relay pics from your computer to the post. Hope this helps!

Looking forward to seeing the pics - have you got a suitable place ready for her foaling - preferably with a close by place for you to sit in comfort watching her as she gets close, it's so important that you are with her as she foals. Also do read the pinned posts at the top of this forum - lots of important and useful info there.
default_yes.gif

Thanks Anna , Yes I do have have that all sorted, Its just outside my bedroom window and I plan to be there wouldn't miss it for the world....... I have built her loose box within her paddock. She has never really been inside a stable and I don't want to freak her out at this stage. Ill see how I go with the photos
default_yes.gif

Rexina 04.02.14 Bag.jpg

Rexina 04.02.14 vulva.jpg

Rexina 04.02.14 side on.jpg

Hi Everyone ,

Does anyone have any ideas as to how far along she may be ? I will take the same lot of photos tonight ( which will make them a week apart). One other question I do have is how many of you have had Maiden mares that have slightly bagged up but not completely until after your mare has foaled ?

Cheers Ryan

Morning Everyone (Morning In Australia)

I took a few more pictures last night , don't think there is a lot of difference between the pictures and the ones I posted last week. I have noticed Rexina is laying down a lot more this week than last. Biting her sides , stomping her feet and swishing her tail that looks to have lost all reflex. One new question I have is regarding the movement of my mini mare during pregnancy. Has anyone noticed there mares struggle when turning in smaller circles, or when turning to walk off in another direction ?

Can anyone relate to this ??????????

Rexina 10.02.14 side.jpg

Rexina 10.02.14.jpg

She looks pretty "slab sided" -- doesn't appear baby is poking out her sides. There was one here at the top of the page that looked like baby was poking slightly out the bottom left side, but not much. So, if you're not feeling any tail resistance, and she's doing any bagging up at all, I'd be watching her pretty closely. Maidens don't have to bag up completely -- we're always happy when they do, but many, many of them don't, so you can't go by that in a maiden. And on page 1, she looks like she's elongating nicely. So, I'd be watching her very carefully.

Biting sides and stomping feet are all signs of her discomfort as she gets closer.

Do you have somewhere you can bring her inside and watch her carefully?

Last edited:
She has bagged a little but nipples have not dropped completely as yet. They look like they are trying their hardest to drop but as you said may not happen completely.

She has never been inside so I am a little hesitant at starting to introduce her to that at this stage. What do you think ?

Her Paddock is right outside my bedroom window and She has plenty of shelter in there. looks like ill be sharing it with her as she gets closer.

Thanks for having a look at the Pictures Diane
default_yes.gif
Will keep you posted as she progresses .

Thanks once again, Ryan
default_thumbup.gif

Ryan, the reason why we suggest that mares are inside for foaling is (apart from being able to contain them and to be right with them when they foal - nothing worse than chasing over a field/enclosure after a mare who is thinking about producing her baby without you seeing!) that as most will foal at night you can hopefully rig up a lighting supply so you can see what is happening/what you might need to do, plus if a vet is needed a dark field in the middle of the night is not the easiest place to sort out any problems. Could you perhaps start putting her in somewhere for short periods - give her her feeds in there - then let her out again so the place slowly becomes familiar and welcoming?

Hey Anna, I should of been a little clearer in my last post. I just don't have fully enclosed Stables as yet as I am on a new property. The pony paddocks that I have are up the front of the property next to the house. They have within them a small yard with an open or loose box inside the yard.

I let her out during the day but bring her in of a night to feed her. I have been doing this over the last 6-8 weeks to try and get her used to the surroundings. She wasn't to happy when I first started bringing her in of a night until she realised that her feed was waiting for her .

Last night When I got home and did the usual check ( Her Bag, length and colour of vulva ect) I noticed that I can clearly distinguish her bag from looking at her from behind . I also noticed a change in colour inside her vulva. it has gone from a pink colour to a dark purple and I can clearly see the blood vessels as well.

she has no reflex in her tail now , I will post some more Pictures soon .

Cheers
default_thumbup.gif

Hi Ryan, can you find a way to block off her shelter and get her used to being in a foaling stall? Lots of reasons to have her confined. I don't know what the weather is there but you don't want a mare to foal out in the rain or other windy, cool weather. Foals are fragile those first few hours. You also want to make sure she's alone and not with other mares. I learned from Anna on this board that other mares can try to steal a foal or even run Mom and baby into the ground if you aren't there.

I've learned so much from this board so just trying to share some things that made life easier for me during foaling season. I love your mare. She's a doll.

Thanks MountainWoman,

She is not around other mares , tho she can see other mates across the driveway. We are in the middle of summer here. Its been over 40 degrees a lot here lately (too hot). The nights are warm also. Anna has been Great in fact you have all been Angels
default_hypocrite.gif

I have learnt so much , not only thru my own thread here but reading everyone else also.

She is locked away in her yard and open stable ( the open box is enclosed within the yard) sorry its hard to explain .

She s out grazing during the day then comes into her yard/ box for a feed at night.

Thanks for the advice greatly appreciated
default_worshippy.gif

Latest posts

Back