Godspeed Flying W Farms Blue Starlite

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I knew the day was coming but that didn't make it any easier.
default_no.gif

Flying W Farms Blue Starlite ("Puddin") passed, with the assistance of a vet, on 11/9/11. She had been battling recurring choke episodes since October 28th and they were becoming more frequent and lasting longer.

For the last three winters Puddin' has had a tough time; losing more weight than she would gain during the spring/summer/fall; stiffness in her joints and a huge decrease in her appetite. Once the weather would turn cold she just lost all interest in anything other than green grass and we all know that is hard to come by in the dead of winter. Since the winter of 2008 I have known the time was creeping closer. Each winter I would see her losing weight and interest in things around her and I would promise myself it would be the last winter she would have to endure. Then spring would roll around and the grass would start to perk up and so would she. Her appetite would return, she'd get a little spring in her step and she would gain a few pounds. But she never gained as many as she lost so over the years she went from approx 310lbs to 247 at her last weigh-in in May of this year. In May I also had her teeth done and a complete physical and blood work. The answers were always the same - nothing unusual for a mare of her age. Some mild liver and kidney damage, but I was told nothing more than any mare in her late 20's would show on the bloodwork.

So in May I told all around me that I had made my decision and this would be her last spring, summer and fall. She wouldn't have to endure another cold winter. Remind me, I said to everyone! As summer wore on I kept second-guessing myself. She perked up, gained a few pounds, her coat regained some shine and she was happy. She loved getting the special treatment of being the only horse that got to come into the backyard each day for her meals and then was left to roam around and munch on as much grass as she wanted. I'd know when she'd had enough because she'd go and stand by the gate to the mare pasture, patiently waiting for me to put her back with her friends. Plus she knew I'd always have a treat for her - a few pieces of apple or some frosted mini wheats - those being her favorites. She never needed a halter or lead; both Robert and I could guide her anywhere with our hand on her neck.
default_wub.png

But she was failing. I know I've mentioned on the board over the last few years my issues with her and how to know when the right time was near. She was happy, healthy and in great shape all the way through her last pregnancy which was in 2007. But she never wanted to let that baby go and that was the first hint I had that maybe her mind was changing. She fought to keep that baby, and won for close to 8 months, then I finally said enough and took her filly away. She'd maintained a good weight and wasn't rebred so I saw no real harm in it. She called to that baby the rest of the winter and into the next spring.
default_sad.png
I normally put fillies back in with their mothers the following spring and hadn't experienced any issues with that. Well, not Puddin'! She followed Lily around and basically harassed her into nursing again! They had been apart for 5+ months. Finally, the nursing ended, but Puddin's obsession with Lily didn't. I sold Lily as a 2 year old and Puddin' NEVER stopped calling for her. She's stand at the edge of the pasture, facing nothing, ears perked and call. It was heartbreaking to watch. Sometimes she would bolt as if startled by something even when nothing was there. Even when she wasn't calling to something unseen, I'd catch her staring off into the distance, so intently, with nothing obvious to catch her attention. That is something she had always continued to do until the end.
default_no.gif

As this past summer progressed, I made arrangements with my vet to let Puddin pass peacefully before winter set in. I waited as long as I could and then we got a few cold days and she stopped eating almost immediately. She'd pick here and there but she really just wanted to graze. Then the first choke episode happened and although it was relatively minor and she got over it within a couple or hours, there were more episodes to follow. I'd selected a date the worked for me and the vet. The date was 11/9/11. Then on the 8th, poor ol' Wiz passed. I didn't know if I could still go through with Puddin' but I just knew I had to. So yesterday morning I got up early and made her a special breakfast of Buckeye Cadence (the feed she seemed to tolerate the most), chopped apples and agave. I went out to feed her and found she was choking again. I brushed her until the vet got there about 25 minutes later and then she was gone. I wish it hadn't happened like that. I wanted her to get her breakfast and have a full belly and be content instead of in distress.
default_no.gif

To me, Puddin' was more than a pretty mare. She was an awesome mother and she was a piece of history. To my knowledge, she was one of only a couple of Blue Boy get still living and certainly one of the last to produce. She never, never caused any trouble and always just did what was asked of her. She loved being a mom and didn't need help from anyone with the process. Her last foal was born, unattended, while we were at the hospital with Mira. In the rush to get Mira there as quickly as possible, we all forgot that Puddin' was under camera too! We realized it on the way home. As soon as we arrived, we all tumbled out of the truck, ran to the barn and there is a totally dry filly, standing there nursing and Puddin' is looking at us like "what? I've done this a time or two before."
default_laugh.png
We dipped Lily's navel and went to bed; she was obviously in good hands.

Puddin' was AMHA and AMHR registered and had 14 foals that I know of; her last being Star Ridge Acres Lily Blue Too, a pretty perlino filly, now owned by Creta Hills Farm in OK. Puddin' was known for putting LOTS of leg on her babies! One foal, listed as being sired by a 29" stallion, has his height recorded at 37.75"! Many of her foals went "over" due to their long legs. Puddin' herself was an honest 34" or a tad less but all leg also. She was genetically a smokey black and she had amber eyes. The most beautiful color eye I've ever seen on a horse.

Godspeed Puddin'. There is a never-ending supply of fresh green grass in heaven and it's always 70 degrees and sunny.
default_wub.png
default_hypocrite.gif

Puddin' in about 2007:

puddin2.JPG

Picture of Puddin' get her play on Dec 28, 2008:

puddinrunning20081228.JPG

Her last foal, Lily:

lilybodyweb.jpg

These last two are attachments. The first is Puddin' in the spring of 2010. The second I'm posting not to be bashed for letting her go too long as I realize she looks like heck when I see this picture. It was taken in May of this year after she came home from the vet. The hair that is missing in patches is from her rubbing constantly when I made her wear a heavy blanket at night. She hated that blanket and would try to run when it was time to put it on. I hated making her wear it, but it was just so cold during the winter and she had very little body fat.
default_no.gif

PuddinSpring2010.JPG

P1020775.JPG

Last edited:
Im so sorry you have lost your fabulous little mare but you have done her a great kindness , much kinder to let her go now before the bad weather but what a tough call to make ,
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

that last filly of hers is a stunner

Im so sorry about both of your losses!!!
default_sad.png
At least they got to live out the golden years of their life with you. She was beautiful!!

HUGS HUGS and more HUGS! You did the right thing and now Puddin is in a better place. I am so sorry for your losses. You were such an amazing horse 'mom' to Puddin and Wiz-their last years were full of love and care.

Bless you for making such a tough decision and letting your friend go. Such a hard thing to do, and such an act of kindness to help our loved ones to the other side. Big hugs, my friend, and Godspeed Puddin. May you spend your days frolicking with our minis that we've also had to let go.

Liz N.

RIP Puddin. I know how much you loved that mare.

My gosh, what a week you have had. So sorry that this grand old lady is gone, but what a life she had with you. RIP Puddin and hugs to you.

Parmela, my heart goes out to you... Being strong is never easy. I'm sorry she didn't pass as you had hoped, but I know you had the best intentions. I also know she had a great home with you. My prayers are with you.

I just had to mention, regarding that last photo... ANY owner who has owned a miniature who has lived a very long time, should know that they can in fact look awful during certain times, it is not and should never be a representation of spirit, life and horse behind that shaggy coat. I know my own personal senior, Midnight, looked less than ideal the spring coming off his last winter, but he still had the same heart he always did. Come the summer he looked like he's old self.

And I think all they ever want is to make us happy,,, I don't think they'd leave us if they had a choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parmela, I am so sorry. She had a wonderful life. Hoping you find peace in your decision, such a hard one to make, but sometimes so necessary.

Pamela, what you did was out of love . How lucky Puddin was to have such a caring owner . I truly believe we are kinder to animals than people . RIP dear Puddin......Ann

Parmela, what a trying week you've had. Puddin was loved until the very end and she knew it. ((((Hugs))))

So truly sorry for your losses Parmela! For both Wiz and now Puddin' who was a very beautiful girl. Godspeed puddin'
default_bye-sad.gif

In Wiz's thread when you said there was something else too, I was afraid of this.
default_sad.png

I'm so sorry you lost two of your elder friends back to back. Puddin was such a lucky lady to have you for her mom!

I know you're going to miss her for a very long time. {{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}

I'm sorry Parm!

So sorry to read this about Puddin. She is in a better place.

OMG Parmela. You are a strong and wonderful Mom. I hope when I have to make that call someday, I can do it with as much love and respect as you have shown your babies. I am sorry just doesn't touch what you are feeling.

I am so sorry for your loss. She looked like a beautiful mare "in her day." I have always loved her foal lilly blue too.

What a very tough week for you, Parmela.
default_sad.png
"Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim." So very sorry for your loss........

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful tribute to a grand dam.....Sending my deep sympathy and condolences AND blessings.

Latest posts

Back