God

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for all your replies!!
default_smile.png

I will make a long post later but right now i'm drinking too much coffee to make a decent responce.

If anyone has questioned the exsistance of God these past years its been me, and rightly so.I think it is ok for anyone to question if there is a God and seek out answers; after all, we are only human. We are supposed to believe in a God we have never seen, or heard or met up close and personal. We are supposed to trust in a Supreme Being just because. Its all such a mystery and its our human nature to wonder.

I was taught and always believed in a loving God and that God was Our Father. So I cannot understand WHY Our Father allowed his son Jesus to suffer, and why he allows all of us, his children to suffer? Be it at war in another country, or at the hands of a muggar on the street or a drunk driver in a car, a loving Father is supposed to protect his children, especially the ones that were devoted to him. Well he messed up and forgot to protect mine and that is the part that I just don't get and makes no sense to me. We can all walk through the beauty we see before us in the sunshine and flowers, then come into the house, turn on the news and see the horrific disasters and have to live in a world with saddess everywhere when all he has to do is pull the plug and stop the hurting. I"m not saying I don't believe but it is fair to say that my faith has been severly shaken and tested. Unless anyone can walk a day in my shoes, you can't understand how confusing it all becomes. I sure could have used a miracle and just maybe I'll get one someday. Meanwhile, its all based on faith, trust, and hope again.

^^^

Yeah that.

Marty, have you read the book of Job recently? I would highly recommend it. It is such a moving story of a man who lived an upright life and yet faced so many heartbreaks. He lost his wealth and all of his children in one day.
default_no.gif
He did not understand either what he had done to deserve all of this. God came and talked with him, but the thing is, God never did tell him why as far as we know (it's not recorded in the Bible if He did). God simply brought up the point that He is all-powerful and all-wise. Our human brains try to understand things, but in the end there is so much we simply cannot wrap our finite minds around. God is SO BIG. He is SO POWERFUL. It tells us (I think in Jeremiah but would have to look it up to give you the exact reference) that God's thoughts are not man's thoughts, and His ways are not our ways. We cannot fully comprehend the thoughts and ways of God. That's just the way it is. It sure would make things a lot easier if we could always see the reason behind things, if we could know why He allows certain things to happen, but where our understanding ends is where faith begins. Faith hangs on to the truth that God is love (1 John 4:7). Faith rest on the promise that all things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). Note the verse does not say that all things are good but that all things work together for good.

As has been said, God does not force anyone to believe. He is the one who created us with free will. Does He hate us for exercising our free will? No, He loves each and every one of us. So, should I hate people for exercising their free will? Of course not! Some of the things people do I find despicable, but that does not mean I hate the person. When one of my students lies to me, I hate that! I absolutely hate being lied to. Does that mean I hate that student? No way! Anyone who chooses to hate both the sinner and the sin is not following Christ's example. Let us not forget that while He was hanging on the cross suffering pain that I cannot imagine, He prayed, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." That my friends is love, full and unconditional. Love looks past the sin and loves the person. As a Christian becomes more like Christ, she will be able to do the same. That doesn't mean the sin does not have consequences. Going back to my previous example, if my student lies to me, you had better believe there will be some consequence for that even though I do love that student. God is no different. He has said that the penalty for any sin is death (Romans 6:23). It doesn't matter if you try to be a good person and only make a few mistakes. One sin in your entire lifetime would be enough to send you to the Lake of Fire. God hates sin and will not allow it into Heaven. He is just, and the price for sin, death, has to be paid. That is why Christ came. That is why He died - to pay the price for my sin and your sin. When a person then makes the choice to place their faith in Christ's death and resurrection, Christ righteousness is placed on that person. God no longer sees the sin but Christ's righteousness. The price for the sin has been paid and that person is now declared righteous. This is such a precious, amazing truth to me! There is nothing I could do, nothing, to deserve Heaven. The only way I (or anyone) is getting there is by faith in Jesus' work.

I pray that more of you would have your eyes opened to these wonderful truths. I am so thankful for God's love and His gracious provision!
default_wub.png

My 1st true recollection of God touching my life was when I was about 10. I was raised going to chuch but not stricktly. When my brother went to Viet Nam I turned to God and prayer. Every night I said prayers for my beloved brother to be safe and come home to me. During many prayers I felt that my brother was safe. I had strong comforting feelings during my prayers. No one told me to do this, I chose to. My brother did come home! When I was 16, every weekend I went to the Chesapeake Bay with my friend. It was a given. One weekend my Mom wouldn't let me go. I begged till she was mad at me. The answer was no. That next day my best friend was killed in a freak car accident at the beach. I would have been sitting right next to her.

In my life I have had at least 6 times that I have directly felt the hand of God or my higher being touch me in a very profound way.

I could write a book on them, they are all facinating moments of fate must say. Some were life altering.

I also remember questioning my faith when I was somewhere younger than 30.

But growing up with a rock of Gibralter Mother, loving, kind. giving, honest, thoughtful, faithful, it was only natural for me to try to strive to be a smidgeon of what she tried to teach me.

I actually have to thank you for starting this tread. It has been so enlightening and inspiring to read what all my forum friends have to say about this topic. I love diversity. There is some tru wisdom here.

I can only hope that God gave you the open mind to take in all this information and make a good, honest, loving choice for yourself to live by. There will always be challenges and choices to make in your life. I truely believe that what you do in life will come back to you.

God bless.

My 1st true recollection of God touching my life was when I was about 10. I was raised going to chuch but not stricktly. When my brother went to Viet Nam I turned to God and prayer. Every night I said prayers for my beloved brother to be safe and come home to me. During many prayers I felt that my brother was safe. I had strong comforting feelings during my prayers. No one told me to do this, I chose to. My brother did come home! When I was 16, every weekend I went to the Chesapeake Bay with my friend. It was a given. One weekend my Mom wouldn't let me go. I begged till she was mad at me. The answer was no. That next day my best friend was killed in a freak car accident at the beach. I would have been sitting right next to her.
In my life I have had at least 6 times that I have directly felt the hand of God or my higher being touch me in a very profound way.

I could write a book on them, they are all facinating moments of fate must say. Some were life altering.

I also remember questioning my faith when I was somewhere younger than 30.

But growing up with a rock of Gibralter Mother, loving, kind. giving, honest, thoughtful, faithful, it was only natural for me to try to strive to be a smidgeon of what she tried to teach me.

I actually have to thank you for starting this tread. It has been so enlightening and inspiring to read what all my forum friends have to say about this topic. I love diversity. There is some tru wisdom here.

I can only hope that God gave you the open mind to take in all this information and make a good, honest, loving choice for yourself to live by. There will always be challenges and choices to make in your life. I truely believe that what you do in life will come back to you.

God bless.
Mary, your post is so touching. I have tears in my eyes. Thanks for sharing your faith.
default_wub.png

I am a catholic, I believe in God and angels and miracles, I also believe people have the right to be what ever they want, they can be jewish, muslim, atheist, gay, emo, lesbian, what ever, I think God still loves them no matter what or who they are. personally, I dont think gays and lesbians will go to heck just because of who they are, are they any less different in Gods love then any one else is, no, every person was created equal in Gods love, I think people go to heck if they do stuff that makes them go there like true evil stuff, and no one knows what happens after you die, no one will until they do, so how dose any one know where any one goes in the next life, not to disrespect any ones beleifs, beacuse everyone is titled to there own belfefs.

Jayne, that was beautifully said.

MiniMaid, as I said I think its ok to wonder and question things at any age. But if you are having trouble trying to envision a Super Being we call God, then maybe you can start somewhere else for some answers:

There is much evidence, scientific documented evidence, that there was a good and kind, and gentle man named Jesus who walked the earth. People did see him, touch him, walk with him and hear him and witness miracles performed by him. Perhaps you can concentrate and learn about the life of Jesus, and then the rest should follow. Jesus is my hero.

I haven't read all the replies but felt compelled to add my 2 cents. This is a hot topic in my family as well. I was raised by parents who go to church every sunday and go to bible school, etc. While that's fine for them, as a grew up in a church I watched and listened to people. And what I discovered was that some of those that go to church can be the biggest hippocrites out there. They preach and study the word, yet dare to judge others for things they don't understand or agree with. I believe God is an all loving god and you don't have to be a member of any special religion or group to have a relationship with him (or her). You don't have to love a certain person or believe in certain things. You just have to be YOU. True to yourself and what you believe in.

I'm a very open individual and have no issues with other people's personal beliefs or sexual preferences. What I do have a problem with is people who push their beliefs on others in the name of God. People who judge other people based on their sexual preferences and treat them ugly for it. People who judge other people based on their race or the race of their spouses or children. People who judge other people based on their social activities. You and I have no right to force our beliefs on someone else.

What I do have a problem with is people who push their beliefs on others in the name of God. People who judge other people based on their sexual preferences and treat them ugly for it. People who judge other people based on their race or the race of their spouses or children. People who judge other people based on their social activities. You and I have no right to force our beliefs on someone else.

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Just remember, be true to yourself. That's all you need to do.
default_wub.png

I'm with Carin. I can't stand people who push their beliefs on you and believe if you're not with them, you'll burn in heck. But living in Utah (huge mormon capital of the world!), you learn to ignore it. They can be quite pushy and offensive and some of the worst people I know (but they attend church religiously).

As far as your comment on believing in God. I grew up with no religion. Went to church for a while to try and figure it out. But it wasn't for me. Have too much of a scientific background to ignore the evidence of evolution. But that's just me. Hubby has his own beliefs, but we get along just fine.
default_laugh.png
I could care less if you go to church, what you believe in or your sexual preference. If you are true and honest, people can't help but love you.
default_smile.png

I cant say that I believe in one supreme being, but that all of our ancestors watch over us. Passed critters as well. I believe in evolution, not Intelligent design. I grew up in a blue collar family, grandparents were VERY blue blooded and thought that if made less than 50k ( in the early 80's) you were in poverty and didnt work hard. GM was very God fearing, preached all the time. Yet she took all of her parents assets when they passed and let her sisters go with no dowry ( 1890's). She believed that because she had money, she could absolve herself. I have other family that are blue collar, go to church, LOVE God and do everything right but dont push. I live in TX ( grew up in CT) , color doesnt faze me. Had a work friend over and we walked over to my Step-FILs pond, he freaked out and hollered that I get her N-self off his property. Did I mention he was a Deacon in the local church? I have seen both sides. I dont begrudge anyone believing in what they want. Think that someone having faith in something is more important than having none in anything. Make sense?

A few years back I had a house fire and I was awakened by 'something'. I went to bed with a migraine and took meds, I shouldnt have woken up for short of a bomb blast
default_wink.png
Someone was looking out for me. I just dont know if they had hands, paws or hooves
default_laugh.png

Yes, I believe in GOD(and angels) and believe very strongly in the power of prayer. Just recently my family and I were going through something that required prayers. As difficult as it was for me to talk with others I chose to open up and ask for prayers. The prayers were answered recently.

I also, believe that GOD gave us free will and gave me my "intuition". Your decision is the right decision for you. I'm not one to ever push my beliefs on anyone else.

Kim

You have taken a very juvenile stance on the topic. I am not trying to say that your age prevents you from having a valid opinion, but it is hard to take you seriously when you trivialize it like you did. "Some dude in the sky . . ." It shows that you really haven't a clue. Don't take offense to that, personally, I haven't a clue about football, to me it's just a bunch of idiots running around in helmets when only a couple of them actually touch the ball.

To answer your questions, yes I believe in God. I believe that he has a plan in my life and that he is in control. If you you have indeed read and understand the bible, you would know that God doesn't expect you to hate anyone. On the contrary in fact, he specifically says that you should love EVERYONE in his image. You could perhaps be referring to a few individuals, extremists really, that have taken it upon themselves to act as God and to rid the world of anything and anyone they don't like. These groups do not represent christians as a whole or in a fair light. But these are the christians you see and hear about, because these are the christians that make you want to watch the 6 o clock news. Nobody wants to interview a person who starts a prayer group to pray for those in need. Nobody wants to video a story of churches outreaching to the community.

It is clear that you have been offered a small and outlying sample of who and what christianity represents. I would encourage you to utilize other outlets in your research, and promise you that you will be surprised.

To me, it is a scary thought to think that God is NOT in control, not a state that I want to be living in.

Matt

I have not checked Snopes to find out if this is true or not but I thought it does explain some people's evil actions better than anything I have read before so maybe it will help you understand some of the things you are finding difficult.

Darrell Scott's Speech:

Evil is only as strong as the good let it be...

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this, hmm? On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton , Colorado , was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.

They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and women.. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out f or answers.

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent.

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,

Your words are empty air.

You've stripped away our heritage,

You've outlawed simple prayer.

Now gunshots fill our classrooms,

And precious children die.

You seek for answers everywhere,

And ask the question "Why?"

You regulate restrictive laws,

Through legislative creed.

And yet you fail to understand,

That God is what we need!

" Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational

systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge. Dare to examine your

own heart before casting the first stone!

My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beliefs and will not judge them for it. I am catholic and have actually gone to different churches and have studied different religions when I was in highschool to see exactly what was right for me. Through it all this is what I have found, There is good and evil where ever we go. There are hypocrates also who go to church claiming they are catholic but every other thing they do in their life shows exactly the contrary. Does that mean that their behavior represents what God wants or who God is... no! If someone is against gays or lesbians that is the devil working, not God! I have also found that there are no bad people just bad actions. I say this since when a child is born they are innocent, and can not possibly do a thing wrong. If there are truly bad people they would have to have been born that way. With regard to the new testament of the Bible many of the stories are not considered factual to many people, but mearly a way to explain to children how the world works. The new testament, is considered factual. For instance, the tower of bable is a story about how everyone was trying to make a tower to reach heaven, God didnt like this so he made everyone speak a different language so that they couldnt communicate, thus they couldnt finish the tower. Parents told their children this story to explain to them why there are so many different languages in the world. The creation story is there for children who ask questions about how the world came to be, or why are there seven days in a week, or why is Sunday a day where people aren't suppose to work, etcetera.

For me it all boils down to this....When a person dies I can let them go knowing that they truly are in a better place somewhere and that I will see them again. If someone I cared about died and I didnt believe in some sort of higher power than what relief would I have, how in the world could someone cope with a persons death if there is nothing but 8 feet under. If what I have now on earth is all that there truly is and death is all that awaits me... What a morbid place this truly is. And if it is like this, then what is the point in being here at all?

"For me it all boils down to this....When a person dies I can let them go knowing that they truly are in a better place somewhere and that I will see them again. If someone I cared about died and I didnt believe in some sort of higher power than what relief would I have, how in the world could someone cope with a persons death if there is nothing but 8 feet under. If what I have now on earth is all that there truly is and death is all that awaits me... What a morbid place this truly is. And if it is like this, then what is the point in being here at all? "

It truly is interesting to hear the comments, opinions and belifs of others. It makes it easy to see why there arer so many branches of Christianity. With so much information to take from the Bible and how it is taken is what has created so many different churches all in the name of Chritianity. The question of "what is the point in being here at all" is sad, to me, for I believe we are all here for a purpose. Isn't just being here and doing all the good that needs to be done the best reason to be here ? Do we really need a reward for the good we do and isn't it possible for some to believe this is enough? I do believe that a loving God will see that ALL his children has a purpose here on earth and that makes it non morbid. The reason I have lived, is to see that my family was taken care of, that I helped others when there was a need and to live life to the best of my ability. No one knows that there is an afterlife but to live this life to the fullest is what we all might try and then know we done our best for this world and the people in it.

Latest posts

Back