God

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a sister-in-law that's an atheist. It breaks my heart to think that she believes once the body dies that's it. I believe the soul goes on and lives for eternity.

Faith is a gift that not everyone gets.
default_no.gif

I did notice that the original poster is a youth member. It is very typical at a certain age to start questioning things and trying to be more independent etc.

Just try to keep your mind open to everything and as you mature you may find that you change your mind again.

I do know that when religion is forced on someone it never works, and often has the opposite effect.

For me God is everywhere in my life.

Many years ago I was exposed to the hypocracy of the elders of the church I attended. After that day I never set foot inside those doors again. Did that mean I decided there was no God? My simple answer is a resounding NO. My church is out-doors. I find and worship my God when I look at the wonders around me. The sunrise glittering on the water, the trees beginning to turn green as spring arrives, the flowers and beauty all around me is my cathedral.

You'll make many decisions in your lifetime. Some will be right and some not. Our beliefs are ours to do with what we will.

I think it is very sad that somehow, you have gotten the impression that God wants you to hate. My father is a minister. I was practically raised at the foot of the altar (you know what they say about preachers' kids!) The God I know is a God of love. I am called, not to condone or condemn, but to love. Hate the sin, not the sinner. God loves us, he wants us to love each other. People may choose to do things that are contrary to God's purpose and plan, but that doesn't make God hate them, and we aren't to hate them, either. God didn't make us robots, doing exactly as we are commanded. He gave us brains and lets us choose, we must live with the consequences of our choices.

nbark, the concept of "the hot place" used to give me problems, too. But God didn't make that as a place to punish bad people. It was a place for the devil and his angels. God's presence is what makes heaven such a wonderful place, there is a little bit of God in everyone and everything. He11 is the one part of creation where He isn't. Some theologians describe it not as hot, but as cold, a void, a place that is empty of all that is good. When I try to envision a place where there is no kindness, compassion, or generosity, where all is greed and selfishness and indifference, that sounds pretty hellish to me! And BTW, limbo and Purgatory are Catholic concepts, most people don't find that in their Bibles!

I, like many of the posters before me, do not follow any certain religion. To me Christianity is not is what church you attend it is how you act and how you treat other people, animals, and things.

I too am looked down upon because I do not attend church. But many of the people looking down on me are hypocrites in my eyes. They curse and treat and judge others poorly for circumstances beyond their control. But then those same people go to church on Sunday and think they are "christian" and better than me. To me organized religion is a sheild that people use to hide their sins and make themselves feel better.

I can think of 3 people who in the last month have told me that I need to be going to church and taking my children to church and told me that I am going to "heck" because I don't.

1. An achoholic who refuses to obey the law and stay off the road when he has been drinking. Has already had many wrecks and is going to injure or kill somebody with his carelessness.

2. A "christian" farmer who in his spare time dabbles in drugs. Has been sent to prison for growing marajuana. And was caught manufacturing meth using the anhydrous that he buys under the pretense that he is fertilizing his crops with it.

3. A relative who NEVER has anything nice to say about anybody. Is always talking bad about others. And every other word is a curse word, even when around my children.
default_sad.png

Does all this mean that I don't believe? Not at all. Does this mean that I am not christian? I don't think so.

I think it is very sad that somehow, you have gotten the impression that God wants you to hate. My father is a minister. I was practically raised at the foot of the altar (you know what they say about preachers' kids!) The God I know is a God of love. I am called, not to condone or condemn, but to love. Hate the sin, not the sinner. God loves us, he wants us to love each other. People may choose to do things that are contrary to God's purpose and plan, but that doesn't make God hate them, and we aren't to hate them, either. God didn't make us robots, doing exactly as we are commanded. He gave us brains and lets us choose, we must live with the consequences of our choices.
nbark, the concept of "the hot place" used to give me problems, too. But God didn't make that as a place to punish bad people. It was a place for the devil and his angels. God's presence is what makes heaven such a wonderful place, there is a little bit of God in everyone and everything. He11 is the one part of creation where He isn't. Some theologians describe it not as hot, but as cold, a void, a place that is empty of all that is good. When I try to envision a place where there is no kindness, compassion, or generosity, where all is greed and selfishness and indifference, that sounds pretty hellish to me! And BTW, limbo and Purgatory are Catholic concepts, most people don't find that in their Bibles!
Well Bunnylady, there you go, they sent me to a Catholic school! When I referred to heck, it is the bible that says that is where you go if you sin, yet God forgives all sins, that is what I was referring to. I am Episcopalian (hope I spelled that right) but I just don't believe in the the way religion is taught. I totally agree with Donna. I LIVE to get up in the morning and see the sun, the sky, hear the birds, smell the smells of the seasons, feel the air and I try to be the best person I can be. I think that is what MY religion is all about. I don't want or need a person of faith telling me that what I have done with my life is right or wrong, for it is my life and I will pay for it in the end, right or wrong.

IF I understand from your OP you are 11 years old. You are just starting to question the world around you which is perfectly normal both religion and I am sure other issues. I do consider myself a Christian and I do try to live my life accordingly. I was baptized into a formal religion but have not practiced that religion by going to church for many years but still live my life as I believe God would want me to. Doing unto others as I would have them do to me. Waking each morning counting the blessings I am given in my life . Asking that God help me be a better person. That said do I do things that are ungodly probably I am human and make mistakes .Do I believe I am earning a place in heaven and do I want to be there YES and I try everyday to treat people in a way that will help in that goal. I agree with Donna I see God all around me in the blue sky in the flowers in a new foal and have been given many miracles in my life that I am very thankful for. I think you will make your own decision about what you will believe and that decision is what you will have to live with so be sure to look at all the options before you make a final decision.

And you know what, its true, but it's also true that liars and theives are going to heck also, not just gays.
I just cant imagine why(if there is a He!!) why somebody would be sent there for something that isnt a choice.

So if this is true I guess I will join several thousands of others there, includeing some from this board
default_saludando.gif

While I am not a lesbian I have lied in my lifetime so Ashley I will be joining you. In fact I have been told that before on this very board so all I can say is my handbasket is ready and waiting
default_wink.png

All joking aside

who NEVER has anything nice to say about anybody. Is always talking bad about others
I know some like this as well and I have to remember they are not their faith- they do not practice their religion of choice. Going to Church once a week does not a religious person make. It has taken a long time for me to seperate those type of hypocrites from the faith they lay claim to.

On the flip side I do know many who do practice what they preach so to speak. Who exemplify the beliefs they hold so dear who realize it is not about being perfect but striving to be and live in the name of what they choose to believe in. I respect them a lot. I listen to them and what they say and discuss their religion with them. When someone can be without hate and judgement it is very easy to listen to the passion they have in their beliefs and take a little of this and a little of that and apply what makes sense to me in my own life.

to the OP this is all a normal part of growing up and maturing- questioning things and people is how you learn to make the right choices for yourself- is the way to learn from your mistakes that you will no doubt make just like the rest of us. Instead of judging the religion try and find those who you respect- those who live and treat others the way you would like to and just watch-ask questions and in time you will know what is right for you.

While I am not a lesbian I have lied in my lifetime so Ashley I will be joining you. In fact I have been told that before on this very board so all I can say is my handbasket is ready and waiting wink.gif
Sweet! I wouldnt mind having you down there with me. Glad you came back to the board, like reading what you post.

Im with Jill quite a bit actually.

Something else that caught my attention was the topic of Gays. athiests, ect... I personally have a very hard time believing that God would want us to hate and oppose them. Being Gay or athiest is not harming another person. There are great people out there straight, gay, christian, jewish.......all cadegories. I think that it has so much more to do with how you treat others (including animals and our earth) than something as trivial as that.

Appriciate everything good in the world and do what you can to contribute. This has also helped guid me in my life.
default_saludando.gif

sorry I clicked enter too soon lol.....the post below is what I meant to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you know what, its true, but it's also true that liars and theives are going to heck also, not just gays.
I just cant imagine why(if there is a He!!) why somebody would be sent there for something that isnt a choice.

So if this is true I guess I will join several thousands of others there, includeing some from this board
default_saludando.gif

It is a choice, nobody has to go to heck, its your choice whether you choose to reject God or not, whether or not you'll commit your life to Him and accept His gift of salvation. Everybody sins, therefore anyone who accepts Gods gift of salvation is free from the bond of sin, free from heck. Thats not saying we won't ever tell a lie again or sin again, we are'nt perfect, but we've accepted Gods sacrifice and we've been forgiven of those sins and therefore can spend eternity with God. It's totally up to you, nobody HAS to go to heck. If you believe in God (the God the Bible talks about) than you will be saved and can go to heaven. It's totally up to you, you have a choice.

Edited to add: Like a couple other posters have said, God is a God of LOVE. He doesnt hate lesbians, gays, liars, theives, etc. Or call us to hate them. On the contrary He LOVES them, very much. Which is why He gave His life, for everybody who will put their trust in Him. God's love isn't conditionary (I think thats a word lol), its unconditional. No matter how many times you get angry at God or push Him away, no matter what you do to Him He's always ready to forgive and be there for you if you want Him to. God has been so good to me, so much more than I deserve.

[SIZE=10pt]Okay,please dont be offended. I don't want haters,but I am posting this on a public fourm so thats what I get...xD[/SIZE]I dont understand "god". I mean,do you honestly believe in the bottom of your heart that there is a magic dude in the sky that controls who we love,what we do,and such? Do you honestly think "god" wants everyone to hate Gays,lesbians,emo kids,and people of other religions? What about the fact someone is constantly watching you always? And some of the bible storys -- WTH? Some random guy put two of EVERY single kinda animal on a boat? None of them ate eachother? Or had babies? I dont seriously belive that.

I think yall should watch this video.

*Note there is alot of cursing*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-yjBLVz5jk

^^^

I totally agree with that.

XOXO!

-R
I did watch the video but he did not change my view.

In my life, I believe we all have choices, right or wrong, you will come to a cross road one day and you will have to make a choice.

God or higher power is loving, we do have to ask for forgiveness, God just does not forgive.

It sounds like you are being raised, what is best in your home, and once you are older, hope you remember things you are being taught, just might help in your journey.

I like to believe in most things, even the ark, my Mom and Dad would be so surprised with cell phones, computers, seeing people from all around the world, robots now doing our jobs, and many more things, myself I find it hard to believe these things are possible. We as humans have created all of this, so when people get killed, I truly do not believe it is God we should be blaming, the drunk driver, the illness that took someone, blame is so easy to do, but we do have a journey in life, and we are responsible for all we say and do.

Good Luck in your journey, you too will grow and have this conversation again and again.

God Bless

It is the easy way to just believe what we are told rather than search out things for our self. I was raised a Christian but God knows that I have many questions for him since he is said to be alll loving, all knowing and capable of anything. I ask Him why he choose to allow evil, from the very beginning. Poor Adam amd Eve didn't stand a chance for they didn't have previous experiences in dealing with evil. And to top that off God is suppose to be making us pay for the little sin of taking a bite of apple...does that sound like a lovng God to anyone? God had the ability to forgive them of the wrong they done. In fact it seems he had the responsibility to be foorgiving since he allowed eveil in what was suppose to be a perfect place. It can seem to appear that God was very punitive in the way he dealt with many people. God has choices far above the ones we are supposed to have and yet he chose to see that every human being would be paying for the misdeed, mistake, etc that Adam and Eve made. Of course this is the God of the Bible and many people don't or haven't read the Bible and so they make God up for the way they want to see him so that they can feel good. These are just one of many of my thoughts from reading the Bible. I have come to think that '"DOING ONTO OTHERS AS WE WANT DONE ONTO US" is the real meaning of how we are to live.

Someone asked how all the animals survived on the Ark and another answered that He can do anything. And I ask, why doesn't He see that all the starving children in this world are fed instead of slowly dieing from hunger .....which was most important the animals or the people? Mary

You know, I never discuss religion because I believe that what you believe or don't, is your business, and how I believe is mine and God's. However, I believe as Jill does. I am a born again Christian, but do not believe that organized religion is for me. When you just take things from other people, listen and believe that whatever this person, this preacher said is the end all, know all truth, then you have to question a lot of things. After all, it is just their interpretation. You must learn, and make up your own mind. I see God in all things. I see him in the new foals, in the mothers, in the grass, the trees, the flowers, and in the inner beauty of all people. I have seen miracles! I have had miracles! Read the bible, and interpret it with your heart. Don't take the word of others. Listen to your heart and God will speak to you. Explore other religions. For example, if you are a baptist, it doesn't mean the methodists are wrong, or the catholics or any other religion is wrong. I once threw a huge fit because one of the baptist vacation bible school teachers said that the catholic religion was wrong, and that all catholics go to he11. I do not believe that, and I felt it was wrong that she should teach that to small children. Just because they believe differently than I do doesn't mean either of us is wrong or right. As long as you believe something, and try to treat everything and everyone as you would wish to be treated, I think, is all important.

I think I understand what you are saying , and to a degree I also feel the same way. I was born a christian and have been to several churches, and confessed my sins , asked god to forgive me etc... I didnt really understand why I had to lower myself to this point to become excepted to this christian church , but tried it anyway. When they told me that there isnt a hevan for animals , or gays ...well thats when I had to look for something new.I think the Bible is very interesting ...some people find it facinating , and some people choose to live by most or every word of it. Thats why the world is such a facinating place , its full of people that feel strongly about many different and contrasting things. I live in a Catholic village...the people that live here are of this religion, I find them to be extreamly unhumanitarian...and the priest wont give me the time of day. However there is a Priest that comes into our hotel from time to time for a glass or two of wine , or dinner. I really like him , he has a great sence of humor, I always give him free wine, and he calls me his angel...He has become my "god" or highly respected higher power. Maybe this is god being presented to me in a form that I can relate to..I dont know , but dont close your eyes on this subject , chances are you just havnt been "touched by god or an angel yet "

If anyone has questioned the exsistance of God these past years its been me, and rightly so.

I think it is ok for anyone to question if there is a God and seek out answers; after all, we are only human. We are supposed to believe in a God we have never seen, or heard or met up close and personal. We are supposed to trust in a Supreme Being just because. Its all such a mystery and its our human nature to wonder.

I was taught and always believed in a loving God and that God was Our Father. So I cannot understand WHY Our Father allowed his son Jesus to suffer, and why he allows all of us, his children to suffer? Be it at war in another country, or at the hands of a muggar on the street or a drunk driver in a car, a loving Father is supposed to protect his children, especially the ones that were devoted to him. Well he messed up and forgot to protect mine and that is the part that I just don't get and makes no sense to me. We can all walk through the beauty we see before us in the sunshine and flowers, then come into the house, turn on the news and see the horrific disasters and have to live in a world with saddess everywhere when all he has to do is pull the plug and stop the hurting. I"m not saying I don't believe but it is fair to say that my faith has been severly shaken and tested. Unless anyone can walk a day in my shoes, you can't understand how confusing it all becomes. I sure could have used a miracle and just maybe I'll get one someday. Meanwhile, its all based on faith, trust, and hope again.

Back