Goats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquineLover

Reaction score
Ther's some really good goat sites I know, they are www.goatweb.com also www.cybergoat.com and www.goatworld.com If anyone signs onto GW let me know!!
biggrin.gif
saludando.gif

We have four Nigerian Dwarf Goat wethers: George, Leroy, Jasper and Henry. I love them!

Is it true goats eat everything? this is the reason we got llamas but it turned out they don't eat everything. Just wondering
smile.gif

Ours love weeds and green leaves, but not grass... I thought they'd eat the grass but they don't seem to. We feed them hay and goat feed.

Goats are browsers not grazers. They are also fairly picky about what they eat, not willing to eat anything they have stepped on therefore also being terrible hay wasters if you don't have proper feeders. The keyhole feeders seem to work the best overall. They do better on an alfalpha mix and don't like stemmy hay so if you want them to clean it up you need to find a nice fine stem. You shouldn't have to give your goat grain unless you're milking it, it's old or it's growing, otherwise just a good quality hay is sufficient.

If you want something to chew the grass down you are better to look into sheep. Keep in mind though that sheep can be tricky to keep if you don't know what to look for when they get sick. I've heard some shepherds say that by the time you notice your sheep is sick it might already be too late. The hair sheep are nice and actually more resemble goats than sheep. They grow a wooly coat of sorts for the winter and shed it off in large matts in the spring. Quite interesting I thought. Never had sheep though other than one old girl we rescued from the butcher on a whim and threw in with our goats.

We had Nubians, Saanens, Alpines, LaManchas and finished off with a few pygmies for pets. The last two died this last year. They were pretty wonderful girls.

I didn't look at the sites, maybe tomorrow. It could be fun.

I have 2 goats - they are pygmy crosses or nigerian crosses, not sure, but they are small. I really enjoy having them. I have been on goatworld and goatweb before, but not the other site. Goatweb coffeeshop has answered many of my questions before. My goats do not eat grass either, weeds and leaves, even bark from the trees or tiny sticks. I also give mine a grass/alfalfa mix hay and a pellet feed. I'd love to get another one. Here is a pic of Rocky and Rambo

HPIM0961.jpg

Hi!!
smile.gif
I don't have any,but I had two last year that was supposed to be my 4-h project but in brief it ended up being terrible,and my mom will not let me get another but she said she would last year.That makes me mad ,I want to sell 2 horses and get 2-3 goats.I love the Lamancha's,Alpines, Saanens and Nigerians. No,goats do not eat everything.Your goats are so cute I love the black and white one!!If anyone registers to Goatweb let me know your user name.
biggrin.gif
aktion033.gif
Their's alot of info on their and you can do searches.
saludando.gif

Also if you want to see my fave goat [never met her personally,but looks.] she is on www.sfalpines.com her name is irish rose.She has an amazing udder!!!Let me know what you think of her.
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think goats have such beautiful eyes....almost catlike. Never thought I'd care for them and then an old doe was given to us as we were the only ones who'd take her in and I wouldn't hear of her being put down simply because she had "no place to go".
no.gif
So, she was picked up and brought home. A nubian, beautiful ole blue roan and skinny as a rail with feet that hadn't been trimmed in so long she only moved around on her front knees
new_shocked.gif
Found this out when we went to get her. Well -- she was immediately put onto supplements, foot trimming care, pampering and became the queen she was meant to be -- in a few months time.
aktion033.gif
So sweet. She was taken to a nice buck a produced a pair of lovely kids....lived out many years on our farm in total comfort.

With her being such a love, we became enthused with goats and before log were raising Boers. They were a huge item in TX and none around our area, so we went there and came home with the beginning of what eventually was a herd of about 100 fullbloods and 150 halfbloods. Woooweeeee......talk about the "potato chip syndrome"
biggrin.gif
We were very careful in stock selections/breedings and did quite well with that herd!

Handled when young they grow into fine, loveable animals for the most part. Had six does here until about 3 years ago...they were as big as my minis! Gave them to a breeder friend and I believe I'm going to go get about 4 kids from him soon. I really miss their aggressiveness on my weeds
laugh.gif
yes.gif
Sure was a lot less work for me to turn them into a field than to take the time to hook up and spray it for those darned weeds! And wow, ditch banks were soooooooo much easier
aktion033.gif
They'll trim your trees up and everything....no vines on the fence (Yum, Yum) Truly, I haven't has as much good control since the year following my letting the girls leave the farm.
no.gif

Latest posts

Back