Goat Question.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGahr

Reaction score
This is probably not the brightest question in the world.....BUT here goes:

My darling daughter has two pigmy (pygmy?) goats. Jasper and Jasmin are nice little goats--not real

friendly but funny little characters.

Because of my "friends don't eat friends" philosphy on life I recently acquired two Boer goats. Big ones

with brown heads and a few spots. The doe is last year's 4-H project that did not go to market but

because she is only 98% she is not a registered Boer. The stud goat...or is it billy goat or whatever

you want to call this darling little guy is purbred but I am not interested in papers and the owner's wife

bottle fed him and could not let him go for a meat project. (He actually answers to the name "BABY" and

will come when you call "Where is my BABY?" I did not believe it either--but he does! No wonder she

did not want him to go for an Easter fiesta or a greek festival.)

These Boer goats are gentlest things I have ever seen. No breaking them to lead--they want to stay with

you. I can whistle them up just like a friendly collie when it comes time to go in for the night.

I have at least ten acres of empty but lush pasture that I wanted to run the goats on but it seems lonely for

them out in the back by themselves. I wanted a couple more--like 3 more goats but when I saw the cost

of high percentage and/or purebred Boer goats I almost had a heart attack.

OK....my guestion is: although the male Boer goat I have is this year's kid he will be able to breed at an

early age or so they tell me. I want to keep him intact unless he becomes a problem. He was raised in

a kitchen so I don't think he will ever get mean. I met his father and he did not smell bad nor was he

aggressive. I am told if you just hose the goats off once in a while they do not have a horrible smell.

I am getting to the point--honest. OK....I have too much pasture going to waste...if my daughter brought

her two little goats over to run with my Boer goats would the male attempt or even be able to breed the

little doe? Darling Daughter does not want any more "kids" and is worried about size. Goats are born

so tiny I am not so concerned about the size but wonder if it would be physically possible. I know anything

is possible but does not seem probable.

So, here I am asking you......any ideas????? Thanks for taking the time to read my long post.

I myself would not put pygmys in with boers. The two bucks will mock fight and with the boer being so much bigger I would fear that the littlest would be hurt . As for breeding , yes the buck will breed any doe that he is in with which would be dangerous to a doe with such a size difference. If you want more and plan on keeping the two you have now together , you will have more come next spring without having to purchase any. A young buck can and will breed as young as 12 weeks ! :new_shocked:

As for the smell , unless you plan on giving him a full bath, soap and everything he will smell. Just hosing him off will just make him smell like a wet buck . If you think a wet dog smells bad , you haven't smelled a wet goat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had dairy goats for several years,Nubian's and La Manchas. The lady that helped me get started told me that the smell of the buck was part of what brought the does into heat. The buck can and will get very whiffy when they are mature. If you don't want to raise little ones you will have to have the billy fixed. A whether (sp?)has barely more odor than the nanny and lives to eat. I have been really tempted to get a few again because my husband and I both love the goats milk. They are escape artists too, that has to be said. A good fence is necessary,I used electric for a long time but it was a constant fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]i have had goats off and on my whole life but am by no means an expert...here's my 2 cents...don't put the little with the big, someone might get hurt, yes, the big billy will breed anything and they can at an early age. that could be bad for the little nanny, and unless you have a clothes pin for your nose you won't want to get very close to your Baby :smileypuke: , poor billies can't help it but they small horrible even with baths it won't last for long, they LOVE making themselves stink, drives the nannys crazy i hear
default_wub.png
: ...lol... good luck goats are lots of fun, we have 2 bottle fed pygmys that are about 9 weeks old, sweet things
default_yes.gif
: . Nikki [/SIZE]

Billy goats smell SMELL SMELL SMELL and even if you give them a bath, they will urinate on their face to make sure they smell some more :) There is nothing wrong with having a non-intact goat, I really recommend getting him "fixed"!!! Everyone will be much happier, you, your daughter, and all the goats.

I have also been told that goats can breed (male ones) at a very young age, like a couple of months!!! I've only been around one billy goat and he smelled awful. You could smell him, I swear, from like 1/4 mile away. Stinky stinky stinky!!! It would worry me, too, about the chance of him breeding the pygmy. Goats are actually pretty smart animals and very inquisitive (sp?). I would bet you, he'll figure out how to accomplish that mission...

If you did get him neutured (making him a wether), I think you'd be very happy with the choice. I think with goats, most people "band" them for this to happen and the earlier, the better. I have heard it is painful for the goat, though, and maybe it can be done under sedation.

We own 4 Nigerian Dwarf Goat wethers and they are wonderful, non-stinky, playful pets. They were all "wethered" before we got them.

We have a billy goat here..........I'd recommend you get him fixed.

I've been told that it's best to fix them before they breed or they'll still smell even as whethers!

MA

If the billy has a beard, keep it cut off. They pee on it & that really makes them smell. I have had both pygmy & Boer & the little ones smell worse than the big to me. They do not smell all the time either, just around the breeding time. You do not want a small nannie to be bred with a big buck, can have to big a baby & kill her. I started out with Nubian & bred them to Boer & really have nice goats. You have meat & dairy that way. None of mine are eaten though, they are my babies. LOL Sometimes if the billy was raised as a pet they will become aggressive because they consider you as one of the nanny's & that is not good. I have had to sell 2 of them because of this. They can hurt you!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with them.

You really shouldn't risk putting the little doe in with a buck that's a lot bigger. We have had probably over 150 goats (dairy goats- Lamanchas, Nubians, Toggenburgs, Alpines, well just count every dairy breed LOL) over the years and most all the bucks we've had smelled at least to some degree. They pee in their beards and that creates a bad smell too. But it helps bring does in heat...

I raised goats.....full blood Boer & Boer mixed. The Boer buck does not smell nearly as strongly as most other types of goats -- but they DO SMELL. :bgrin A pygmy buck is 20X worse for odor -- and ornery temperament!!! I found the Boers to be very people friendly.

Everyone is right, do not put pygmy doe with that Boer buck. If yours are not already registered, then it really doesn't matter that the offspring are, right? So, look for another large breed if you want to increase your herd size. They can easily have 2 kiddings a year per doe and that buck can take care of a herd of 20-30 does with ease if all are well cared/fed.

Goats have their own set of medical issues to know about -- get a really good book on caprine and read!!!

I loved mine!!
default_wub.png
: Some of my fullbolood bucks were over 300 pounds and the does were about 175-225. They were handled from birth and easy to handle. I did my own banding, shots, hoof trims, etc. They need very close worming care.....liquid ivermetctins are good.

Here's a little "laugh" (well, NOW it is -- wasn't then
default_wink.png
: ). I was taking a trailer load to market and a friend had asked if I would take a few of his, too. So, he brings his -- and ONE is an intact pygmy, and a good sized one! I told him & hubby to leave the BUCK in the trailer over night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, no, they put him in with the group he came with in a separate pen.

Next AM -- the pygmy buck is OUT -- has bred one of my cycling FULLBLOOD BOER DOES :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :eek: Few months later, she kids TRIPLETS....who were marked like the Boer (a very, very prominant coloring) and they were obviously pygmy -- even had the stand out ears.

Well, her first kids and she was a fantastic mom!! A couple of months later, I took ALL THREE of them to my friends :bgrin :bgrin Here, I said -- YOU support these kids! :bgrin
default_wub.png
: They never got very big, were kept by the friends and we still laugh about it!

This is probably not the brightest question in the world.....BUT here goes:

My darling daughter has two pigmy (pygmy?) goats. Jasper and Jasmin are nice little goats--not real

friendly but funny little characters.

Because of my "friends don't eat friends" philosphy on life I recently acquired two Boer goats. Big ones

with brown heads and a few spots. The doe is last year's 4-H project that did not go to market but

because she is only 98% she is not a registered Boer. The stud goat...or is it billy goat or whatever

you want to call this darling little guy is purbred but I am not interested in papers and the owner's wife

bottle fed him and could not let him go for a meat project. (He actually answers to the name "BABY" and

will come when you call "Where is my BABY?" I did not believe it either--but he does! No wonder she

did not want him to go for an Easter fiesta or a greek festival.)

These Boer goats are gentlest things I have ever seen. No breaking them to lead--they want to stay with

you. I can whistle them up just like a friendly collie when it comes time to go in for the night.

I have at least ten acres of empty but lush pasture that I wanted to run the goats on but it seems lonely for

them out in the back by themselves. I wanted a couple more--like 3 more goats but when I saw the cost

of high percentage and/or purebred Boer goats I almost had a heart attack.

OK....my guestion is: although the male Boer goat I have is this year's kid he will be able to breed at an

early age or so they tell me. I want to keep him intact unless he becomes a problem. He was raised in

a kitchen so I don't think he will ever get mean. I met his father and he did not smell bad nor was he

aggressive. I am told if you just hose the goats off once in a while they do not have a horrible smell.

I am getting to the point--honest. OK....I have too much pasture going to waste...if my daughter brought

her two little goats over to run with my Boer goats would the male attempt or even be able to breed the

little doe? Darling Daughter does not want any more "kids" and is worried about size. Goats are born

so tiny I am not so concerned about the size but wonder if it would be physically possible. I know anything

is possible but does not seem probable.

So, here I am asking you......any ideas????? Thanks for taking the time to read my long post.
I gather that you have two bucks (proper name for male goats, unless gelded--then called wethers). GET THEM BOTH NEUTERED ASAP! Unless the scent glands at the base of the horns were burned off at the same time the horn buds were also destroyed (or were they), your bucks WILL stink to high heaven. To enhance their blissfully masculine odor in order to appeal to the does (proper name for female goats), they urinate upon as much of their front end and beard area as they possibly can. They get pretty RIPE!

I raised goats.....full blood Boer & Boer mixed. The Boer buck does not smell nearly as strongly as most other types of goats -- but they DO SMELL. :bgrin A pygmy buck is 20X worse for odor -- and ornery temperament!!! I found the Boers to be very people friendly.

Everyone is right, do not put pygmy doe with that Boer buck. If yours are not already registered, then it really doesn't matter that the offspring are, right? So, look for another large breed if you want to increase your herd size. They can easily have 2 kiddings a year per doe and that buck can take care of a herd of 20-30 does with ease if all are well cared/fed.

Goats have their own set of medical issues to know about -- get a really good book on caprine and read!!!

I loved mine!!
default_wub.png
: Some of my fullbolood bucks were over 300 pounds and the does were about 175-225. They were handled from birth and easy to handle. I did my own banding, shots, hoof trims, etc. They need very close worming care.....liquid ivermetctins are good.

Here's a little "laugh" (well, NOW it is -- wasn't then
default_wink.png
: ). I was taking a trailer load to market and a friend had asked if I would take a few of his, too. So, he brings his -- and ONE is an intact pygmy, and a good sized one! I told him & hubby to leave the BUCK in the trailer over night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, no, they put him in with the group he came with in a separate pen.

Next AM -- the pygmy buck is OUT -- has bred one of my cycling FULLBLOOD BOER DOES :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :eek: Few months later, she kids TRIPLETS....who were marked like the Boer (a very, very prominant coloring) and they were obviously pygmy -- even had the stand out ears.

Well, her first kids and she was a fantastic mom!! A couple of months later, I took ALL THREE of them to my friends :bgrin :bgrin Here, I said -- YOU support these kids! :bgrin
default_wub.png
: They never got very big, were kept by the friends and we still laugh about it!
We had something like that happen, except with a Nubian doe and a Nigerian Dwarf buck. :bgrin We thought we had her bred to our ADGA purebred Nubian buck...well the babies popped out TINY and with little airplane ears! We knew right off that that other buck had to have gotten in there one day...but we had no problem selling them as pets! For a pretty good price too!

Like you probably saw on another post we look for goats to eat our weed jungle.

On Saturday we went to a livestock auction to get some goats. We have no idea about goats.

There were ca 300 goats and the eye catcher was a little pygmy buck the cutest goat I've ever seen, which I told my husband. He said" not him look what he does" he bred everything what wasn't in a half sec. up on a tree.

Anyway, we bought 2 females who seem to be boer goats. Will see whats coming out.

A

Latest posts

Back