Goat Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Quick question:

I have in my care a fairly large goat with hoof problems--(the hoof growth is curling around the sole of her foot). I will be trimming that off when my clippers get here later today, but I was wondering if she could have a pea sized amount of bute for the pain. (I have left over bute from my big horse).

She's cruising around on 3 legs at the moment. Oh-- and I almost forgot to add that her front hoof growth is irregular due to my landlord's cows possibly stepping on her when she was in with them, so she has a club type foot. I'll try and get photos later after my helper gets home.

Thanks in advance
default_saludando.gif

:Kim

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump Anyone?

She is my landlord's goat, but she's been on my side of the fence since this winter, and it kinda looks like she adopted us
default_rolleyes.gif
. He said to trim her and see if she gets better, but I know for a fact that if she doesn't I am calling my vet and he gets the bill. I just want to keep her pain free until then.

She is eating and drinking, and according to him she was doing this last year, but with her not being over here then, I did not notice it.

Can you call your vet and just inquire as to whether or not bute is safe for goats? I dont' have goats, so know nothing about them, but do know I can call my vet with a question like this (no charge to ask a question).

I'll call her. Better safe than sorry. My clippers are here now, so i'll go and trim off that overlap and see if it helps at all.

My DIL has about 30 goats, and I know she dont give hers bute, she always uses banamine. I would call the vet if all you have on hand is bute.

Just a thought - if you google "goat forum", quite a few choice come up. Perhaps you can jump onto a goat forum and as the question?

Good luck!

Liz R.

I called my vet and she is conveniently out of town until Sunday. I can't pick up banamine from my local feed store as they don't carry it -(only my vet does). I'll just have to trim the foot and soak it in epsom salts and hope that helps. I'll throw that bute out or give it to my neighbor who has big horses as it's not needed around here.

Edited to add:

This goat has had her feet trimmed a couple of weeks ago, but I guess my farrier is so new at it he missed that defect. I watched a few videos on goat trimming over and over and over--and then some, plus I have a book on it. I can hopefully help her out of most of her pain until my vet gets back.

I am using these trimmers: Fiskars Link , and I sought advice from my pharmacist, and he told me that epsom salts would be like trying to put a fire out with hose with no pressure, and to go with what I thought would be okay which is to have a mild bleach/water solution with a sponge.

I'm off to go trim and treat.

I trimmed her up with help. More than one hoof had grown over, and the shears are pretty worn out due to the hardness of her hooves.

Here are a few pictures of the ordeal:

The Injured Foot Before:

IMAG0213.jpg

And Again:

IMAG0214.jpg

And Again:

IMAG0215.jpg

Swollen Leg: (She's holding the leg up, so the hoof looks shorter than it is).

IMAG0216.jpg

Again:

IMAG0217.jpg

After The First Of A Few Trims:

IMAG0218.jpg

A View Of Most Of Her Hooves After The First Trim:

IMAG0219.jpg

And My Helper:

IMAG0222.jpg

(Edited to add--the last picture--Hubby noticed her teats were swollen, so he milked her while she was down-hence the milk on the ground
default_rolleyes.gif
. She has never been bred, so the milk is a mystery) .

Checking in:--Cricket is walking a bit better. Landlord stopped by to check out the hayfield and reviewed the photos--(no--he didn't ask to see her
default_unsure.png
). I'll be keeping an eye on her though, and will do a few more sponge offs with the mild bleach solution.

It's the best I can do until Sunday unfortunately. I do know that if it is an abscess that she will need an antibiotic shot. I will be trimming her foot down a bit at a time though within the next couple of weeks- (Plus I need better clippers). I really need to show my farrier how to trim goats.

-My landlord did say that she is about 12 years old ---(holy moly).

I'm glad someone is looking out for this goat. Good for you! I hope she feels better really soon.

Latest posts

Back