Goat People

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2t99

Reaction score
Ok we had a pgymy cross born Thursday, only one, 2nd baby for mom. 1st time she had 2. Well this goat is a girl and today my son noticed that she felt like she had jewels. So I picked her up and sure enough she does!!! She is definately a girl or at least pees like a girl, but there are definately 2 jewels there!
default_wacko.png
Anyone ever heard of that???

Yes I even double checked to make sure it is a girl
default_biggrin.png
I have seen her pee!!!

SHould I be concerned??
default_wacko.png

Did you breed two polled goats together? If you did, theirs a chance of getting a baby with both sex organs, if either parent has horns, I don't know why it happened but I'm sure it's still the same thing. But polled to polled should never be bred together. Good luck with her, she'll still be a good pet, I think.

Are you sure that you aren't seeing fluid in her teeny-tiny udder? Sometimes the baby does are born with some fluid.

The only time I had a he/she,( I can't think of the scientific name) it was a nubian, parents were polled (Dam) to horned Sire(but disbudded at a week old when we were positive he was horned). But it was obviously both sexes. But he/she did pee like a doe, but had the buck parts too, though very small. As I recall, heshe (what we named it) was born naturally hornless, (Polled).

Never heard of that with horned to horned. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

Sue

Thought I'd add that the sire was disbudded since there is a misunderstanding about Polled/Horned/disbudded/dehorned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the goat having horns or not really make a difference? All goats are born with horns and some are just dehorned.

I really don't know what to say about that but she'll/he'll make a great pet anyway.

Hermaphrodite goat? That term seems familiar from something I read way back...google it? I think they are sterile.

That's the word I was trying to think of, I think it can happen to any animal or a person too.

Indian, just so you know, all goats aren't born with horns, hornless goats are called polled, if the horns are removed, they are called disbudded. And you aren't supposed to breed two polled (naturally hornless) goats together as their is a percentage born with the two sexes, it's 8% or something like that, I can't remember right now. This is true, look it up in your search engine if you want to or if it really matters to you. I raise fainting goats so I looked in to it. I wouldn't want to create one like that but it could still be someones great little pet.

Goat "jewels" are pretty obvious even at birth ( we always banded at 3 days) If they are just lumps most likely they are not testicles.

Hermaphrodites do happen in goats ( and not just from two polled) but its pretty rare.

Sounds like he/she is due for a close inspection!

I also have goats and have looked into this. I am quoting below from an article i looked up. Some feel that the "horned/polled" gene is connected to the X or Y chromosone. jennifer
default_saludando.gif

"Polledness in goats is dominant, and goats with two doses of the gene are masculinized. The end result, if you work out the results of the cross, is that a polled goat mated to a polled goat (nearly all of these only have one dose of the gene) will produce the following:

1/8 of the kids will be normal, horned males.

1/8 of the kids will be normal, horned females.

2/8 (1/4) of the kids will be normal, polled males.

2/8 (1/4) of the kids will be normal, polled females.

1/8 of the kids will be males with shortened reproductive life

1/8 of the kids will be females that are masculinized to hermaphrodites.

In many populations of goats the 1/8 that are hermaphrodites are so completely masculinized that they appear to be males, and so are counted in amongst those. When that happens, the result is a kid crop that is 5/8 male, 3/8 female."

Editied for fingers that transpose letters!

Indian, just so you know, all goats aren't born with horns, hornless goats are called polled, if the horns are removed, they are called disbudded.
Dissbudding and dehorning is both removing the horns. Dissbuddiong when they remove the buds and dehorning when they remove the actual horns. We use both terms the same way where I am.

Just thought I'd add for those learning about goats:

Polled....born naturally hornless. Some do have little lumps on the top of their heads , like buds that a horned goat would have.

Horned....born with little buds on the top of their heads that will grow into horns unless" disbudded".

Disbudded... buds/small horns burned with (hopefully) a Disbudding iron. Some people use a paste which is surprisingly more painful to the baby goat than the hot iron.

Dehorned....removing the actual horns. Very painfull for the goat and should only be done under full sedation.

Sue
default_smile.png

Just thought I'd add for those learning about goats:
Polled....born naturally hornless. Some do have little lumps on the top of their heads , like buds that a horned goat would have.

Horned....born with little buds on the top of their heads that will grow into horns unless" disbudded".

Disbudded... buds/small horns burned with (hopefully) a Disbudding iron. Some people use a paste which is surprisingly more painful to the baby goat than the hot iron.

Dehorned....removing the actual horns. Very painfull for the goat and should only be done under full sedation.

Sue
default_smile.png
I think everyone who replyed to this knows alot about goats, oh, well some people who read this might not, didn't think about that, sorry. Thats the same thing i said.
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png
Yes, horned goats are born with horns,(
default_wink.png
duh) but you can't see them but you may be able to feel tiny bumps on their heads.

Yes, the paste is awful. I would never recommend it, i would always use the hot iron, its much quicker than the paste.

Latest posts

Back