Goat and Horse duel

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday we saw Dusty come galloping across the yard. Not good. We rushed out and saw there was a goat in the yard. Dusty had jumped the fence. Dapper Dan was still in the pasture and the billy was chasing him, head down to butt. The goat was huge, as large as Dapper Dan. Dapper Dan kept looking behind, to see if the goat was gaining. I've never seen such a large billy.

Buddy, our dog, rushed out and the goat left the horse to chase him. Dusty thought the goat was after him and ran out of the yard onto the road. The goat charged through the double strand electric fence after him. They ran down the road and through another neighbor's electric fence.

We have new neighbors who think that moving 11 miles into the country means you can turn your animals and children lose without supervision. I know the goats have been in the nieghbor's yard and pasture before, but they didn't challenge the big horses there. (By neighbor, I mean folks who live 1/4 mile away. There are only 4 of us out here for miles.)

Now I'm worried that Dusty knows how to jump the fence. It is a metal pipe fence which has always been adequate for confinement for my little horses. It kept cattle confined, but wouldn't work for big horses. We have various fencing on our property, as it is an old cattle pasture. So, we don't know how the goat got here. Through the 5 strand barbed wire? The double electric? Around the fence over the mountain?

There are also 2 does with the billy, but they did not come with him--thank goodness.

Luckily both horses settled down and seemed none the worse for the adventure.

Yesterday we saw Dusty come galloping across the yard. Not good. We rushed out and saw there was a goat in the yard. Dusty had jumped the fence. Dapper Dan was still in the pasture and the billy was chasing him, head down to butt. The goat was huge, as large as Dapper Dan. Dapper Dan kept looking behind, to see if the goat was gaining. I've never seen such a large billy.

Buddy, our dog, rushed out and the goat left the horse to chase him. Dusty thought the goat was after him and ran out of the yard onto the road. The goat charged through the double strand electric fence after him. They ran down the road and through another neighbor's electric fence.

We have new neighbors who think that moving 11 miles into the country means you can turn your animals and children lose without supervision. I know the goats have been in the nieghbor's yard and pasture before, but they didn't challenge the big horses there. (By neighbor, I mean folks who live 1/4 mile away. There are only 4 of us out here for miles.)

Now I'm worried that Dusty knows how to jump the fence. It is a metal pipe fence which has always been adequate for confinement for my little horses. It kept cattle confined, but wouldn't work for big horses. We have various fencing on our property, as it is an old cattle pasture. So, we don't know how the goat got here. Through the 5 strand barbed wire? The double electric? Around the fence over the mountain?

There are also 2 does with the billy, but they did not come with him--thank goodness.

Luckily both horses settled down and seemed none the worse for the adventure.
That would scare me as much as a dog attack...seriously. If any goat, even a small one, butted a horse in the legs, it would break them easily...it makes me just sick to think of the harm this billy could do if he comes back and you and your dog aren't there. I always ran my most placid does with my horses...no problem, but if one showed any sign of aggression, out she would go...and even the placid ones are removed to the barn for feeding time...

Sue, I had no idea there was so much risk involved! No wonder the horses were so alarmed by him. They must have sensed that he was a threat. Thanks for the heads up. I have no experience with goats.

Huh- I have kept my nigerian goats out with the minis from time to time when I had young foals that couldn't be out with the herd, but were weaned-

I've never heard of a dwarf goat being able to break a minis legs though.

Glad your boy is okay! My minis love my goats and vice versa, but we may just be weird here!

Huh- I have kept my nigerian goats out with the minis from time to time when I had young foals that couldn't be out with the herd, but were weaned-

Glad your boy is okay! My minis love my goats and vice versa, but we may just be weird here!
This was not a dwarf goat. He was as large as my horse and horned. I've never seen such a large goat--not that I have much goat experience...

The people also have a pygmy goat that thinks it is a dog. It is sweet and tame, but it did get underneath my horse when I was in their yard, in my cart, and butt his stomach. Luckily my horse didn't freak out. I don't go over there any more in the cart.

What size are nigerians? What breed would this large billy be?

I have a nubian that is the same size as my minis- about 200 lbs. He was disbudded as a kid. They all share the same pen and pasture, no problem and the minis are the boss because they run faster than my nubian; they bite and kick, too, if necessary. But rarely, if ever. I have also kept my pygmies(horned) and then a few fainting goats(also horned) with my minis. Still no issues. I rather think your guy was suprised to have the goat coming after him. Had he had time to think about it, a good kick to the goat's head may have made the goat think twice or lose a horn. Odd he would be chasing a horse...perhaps one of his girls was in heat. In any case, your nieghbors need to pen their goats; no doubt about that. You might call the sheriff if there is a next time to report a stray goat...

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't likely they would be aggressive enough to do it, but if they were, absolutely, they could. A friend of mine had one of HER lower legs broken when attacked by a very seriously aggressive pygmy buck...and a human leg, I am sure, is stronger than many mini legs. Another buddy of mine was very badly bruised up by a ram sheep as well...it is amazing how harmful these animals can be when they "get their blood up".

I have never had this problem with the does...they are generally pretty laid-back...but I don't put my older kids out with the horses either...I used to, till I saw one butt one of my horses in the face as it grazed. I also had my sweet little pygmy-pet whether jealously slam into a weanling colt's mouth, breaking a couple of his front teeth, just because I was paying attention to the colt. That was the last time my pet was allowed into the horse's paddock.

This reminds me of all the folks who keep minis and large horses together...yup, it works...till one day...it just doesn't.

First, I am so glad your animals are ok. But please take this seriously. Something has to be done to keep that goat in his own pen.

There is a member of this forum, and maybe she will come on here and comment, who had a HORRIBLE experience with a neighbors goat and her minis a few years back. I may not remember all the details 100%, but this goat (I actually think it was referred to in the police report as a ram) got into her horse pasture and ran and ran her mares and geldings. Nothing could stop him! When it was all said and done she had several horses with serious injuries from either running into/through stuff to get away from him or from his horns directly. If I remember correctly, over the next 36 hours she had 4 mares abort. She may have even lost a mare because of this. It was a brutal, bloodly, ugly site.

I'm glad your sitution didn't escalate to this, but things could easily have been worse. I'm glad they weren't.

My Niggies are pretty teensy- (think 25-30lb range)

I could easily see how the big goats could hurt you, or anything with horns.

I don't think I thought about the horns though! All of mine are disbudded at birth/dehorned when I get them if otherwise.

To make it even better, I only have one adult buck at this time- the rest are girls and/or young stock.

Yes, my neighbor butchered one of their Boer goats and he tipped the scale at over 300 lbs! And had big horns and two LARGE men had trouble keeping hold of him. They can be big, mean and goats can be terrible on fences. If this goat went through all those fences- the owner needs to do something to keep him locked in and I would file a complaint- they CAN be dangerous and CAN attack people as well.

I saw a medium sized old sheep that was housed with a large pot bellied pig- and one day the old sheep 'flipped her lid' and rammed the pig- knocking her clear off her feet against the fence. Before the pig could even get up, that sheep rammmed her again and again and again in her mid-section. The poor pig was screaming for help. I dont care for pigs unless they are in the shape of a chop, but couldnt stand to see/hear this and as I called the owner on the phone, scaled the fence and got the sheep away from the pig but she truly was trying to kill that poor thing, and would have succeeded if it had not been stopped. They seperated them permanently at that point.

Tell your neighbors they need to make SURE that goat is not wandering the countryside and attacking people's animals!! P.S. In case they dont heed the warning, goat chops are great on the Bar-B. lol

OMG! Don't you have laws in your state against free roaming ivestock? In my state you can't even have free roaming chickens, you will recieve an $80. fine if you are caught. I would call animal control and ask them to talk to the goat owners. These animals should be contained as obviously they are dangerous, what if a small child was in his way? Also get a 22 rifle in case he comes back.

OMG! Don't you have laws in your state against free roaming ivestock? In my state you can't even have free roaming chickens, you will recieve an $80. fine if you are caught. I would call animal control and ask them to talk to the goat owners. These animals should be contained as obviously they are dangerous, what if a small child was in his way? Also get a 22 rifle in case he comes back.
Oklahoma is a free range state outside township limits. I'm not sure what the law says about keeping other livestock OFF one's property.

I've been thinking about what I will do if he comes back. Between my husband shooting him with ratshot and being zapped by 2 electric fences, we are hoping he will stay on his own property. I am hoping I have enough fortitude to shoot him with my 410 if it ever happens again. If I see my little horses at risk, surely I will be able to do what I have to do. I didn't realize how dangerous it was before.

I heard that his owner is waiting for someone to come and pick up the goats. Hopefully they will be gone soon.

OH MY!!! That would have scared me to death also
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back