Glue on shoes for Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgranch

Reaction score
Took my beloved Rocket to the vet because he was limping on a front leg. X-rays showed a lovely perfect front leg so vets diagnosis was tender footed. He recommeded boots. We like to show so don't want a boot that shows a lot. I thought I saw on here a thread on a glue on type boot that protects the bottom of the foot. Anyone know about these?? Thanks!!

I don't know about a glue on boot, but you can have a ferrier make a "glue shoe" out of the epoxy stuff they use to correct a foot that isn't correctly balanced (for week pasterns, lax tendons, or dwarfs), there is also a web site for stuff that is called hoof armor, google it, and you will find the site. You can buy the kit to do it yourself for his site. He is from this neck of the woods and I have seen him use this product on horses.

Carolyn

Thanks!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers a thread about this!! Thanks Carolyn I will do a google search!!

Yes, the glue-shoes work very well. Breanna Sheahan (minihgal) uses these regularly on her CDE mare and put a pair on Kody when he got trimmed too short before the Ram Tap CDE last year. They really helped! They were a bit slippery on pavement though.
default_rolleyes.gif
I'm sure if I'd roughened them up with a file they would have gripped better.

Leia

Took my beloved Rocket to the vet because he was limping on a front leg. X-rays showed a lovely perfect front leg so vets diagnosis was tender footed. He recommeded boots. We like to show so don't want a boot that shows a lot. I thought I saw on here a thread on a glue on type boot that protects the bottom of the foot. Anyone know about these?? Thanks!!
I realize your question is about shoes, but as a farrier I couldn't help but wonder :

Did the vet check the hoof for a possible abscess ?

Did he explain that if the hoof is trimmed so short the horse is tender footed you've got a good chance of an abscess forming ?

Did he check the digital pulse ?

Did he vet wrap the hoof to see if that helped ?

You do realize you can't show a mini with any type of shoes. (I'm assuming Rocket is a mini, instead of a Shetland)

There is a way to glue (acrylic) a shoe on but you have to have the equithane gun, etc.

You can also toughen the bottom of the foot with a strong iodine product (if you can find one now that the druggies have caused all the good products to be pulled off the market)

Sorry to ramble but I always worry about an abscess forming.

Leia, what kind of shoe is Breanna using ?

Funny you should mention an absess!! He had one last November so severe he completely lost his frog. This was before I bought him and there were no details given as to what had happened. He has always seemed sore on this foot but has been getting worse. He is a mini and we drive him quite a bit. So, the vet said he found no evidence of an absess and he was not trimmed to short. He found legs and joints to be perfect so we just don't know what to do??

Do you know how to check a digital pulse ?

If not, I'll take a picture and show you where to feel.

I need to know whether the digital pulse is more pronounced in one foot than the others.

Any chance your horse has had laminitis in the past ?

I had one of mine that appeared to be lame in the right front for a couple of months and we couldn't find a problem. Turned out he had pulled a muscle in the left hind and was over using the right front because of it.

So . . . if you don't have a more pronounced pulse in the hoof, you probably don't have an abscess.

I'd then have the vet check the diagional hind leg.

Did your vet xray the hoof ?

There is a glue product advertised in the newest Journal; www.vettec.com and from the looks of the ad, you just put the stuff on the bottom of the hoof, press it flat with the sheet of plastic, let it "dry" for 30-60 seconds, peel off the plastic and the horse has a little rubber sole pad. From what I can see on the website it's not all that expensive, & I'm thinking I will try it on a couple horses--

To drive out anywhere we have to drive on gravel roads for a ways & I wonder if this will help prevent ouchiness if the horse steps on a stone?

There is a glue product advertised in the newest Journal; www.vettec.com and from the looks of the ad, you just put the stuff on the bottom of the hoof, press it flat with the sheet of plastic, let it "dry" for 30-60 seconds, peel off the plastic and the horse has a little rubber sole pad. From what I can see on the website it's not all that expensive, & I'm thinking I will try it on a couple horses--

To drive out anywhere we have to drive on gravel roads for a ways & I wonder if this will help prevent ouchiness if the horse steps on a stone?
I works pretty well. Stays on better with shoes then without. The bottom of the hoof needs to be really clean and dry. Product runs $30 a tube and tips are 12 for $10 BUT the applicator gun is $55. You have to use the gun to apply properly.

Here's the link to probably the best price you'll find.

http://www.alvinfarriersupply.com/shop/?ke...&cart=97697

Last edited by a moderator:
We used the glue product - or something like it - on a big mare who injured her hoof severely. She damaged the hoof wall, nothing to nail into for several months so this was a lifesaver. It stayed on pretty well and helped keep her sound. Much bigger horse/more weight, but she was not working during this time, just standing in a stall (and pacing a lot).

I did have steel shoes glued on to the front of a mini gelding once, he was wearing his toes off pawing and it was an attempt to let them grow. Would have worked except he pawed the shoes off within a week LOL.

Jan

Do you know how to check a digital pulse ?

If not, I'll take a picture and show you where to feel.

I need to know whether the digital pulse is more pronounced in one foot than the others.

Any chance your horse has had laminitis in the past ?

I had one of mine that appeared to be lame in the right front for a couple of months and we couldn't find a problem. Turned out he had pulled a muscle in the left hind and was over using the right front because of it.

So . . . if you don't have a more pronounced pulse in the hoof, you probably don't have an abscess.

I'd then have the vet check the diagional hind leg.

Did your vet xray the hoof ?
I don't know how to take a digital pulse?? A pic would be great thanks!! I asked the vet about Laminitis and he said he didn't see any signs and since Rocket is just 4 he didn't think so. My vet did X-Ray the hoof and it was perfect. He also short steps on the front and I 've seen that mentioned her as a symptom of tender footed too. Thanks for all the help!!

My little Shetland filly has some glue on shoes, with Super Fast. They are only lasting about 2-3 weeks, because her foot is growing so fast that when the sole sluffs, it sluffs the glue off with it.

Good luck,

ANdrea

Latest posts

Back