Glen Rose - Everyone Make it Home OK?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwallis

Reaction score
Went to Glen Rose show this weekend. Was a good show. Just giving a headsup to check your lugnuts. I don't know where it happened or how it happened but on the way back home to Oklahoma one of my truck tires came off.. I heard a strange noise and at first thought it was road noise because the road had changed surface from recent construction but something told me to pull off. The noise quit when I was down to about 40 MPH (From 70). There was not vibration... I went on and pulled off at an exit that was about a mile down the road, jumped out and looked at all the tires and they looked ok...Turned around in a parking lot, went to turn left back on the access road and there goes a tire roling by! The back left tire just came off. My husband thinks someone might have been trying to take a tire and couldn't get one of the lugnuts off. There was one bolt that was broken off.. The nice policeman that chased down the tire found 5 of the lugnuts scattered in the parking lot so they fell off after I had checked the tires.. Someone pulled a very dangerous halloween prank or something.

I think my guardian angle was watching over us..

I don't know what happened but be sure and check your lugnuts!

What a day, I consider it a good day though, we're alive and no one got killed on I-35 by a flying tire.

OMG, Lynda!!!! You are so lucky you weren't killed!! An angel must have been on your side. How scarey! So glad you are home safely!

OMG, Lynda!!!! You are so lucky you weren't killed!! An angel must have been on your side. How scarey! So glad you are home safely!
Oh Becky, I know, At first I kept thinking about what could have happened, then I started thinking what did happen, it was a good day not a bad day. Oh and Shimmer's 2 year old filly (Third Times a Charm)went reserve grand this morning!!!

Holy cow!
default_new_shocked.gif
I shudder to think what might have happened!

What the <bleep> is wrong with people???
default_no.gif

I'm so glad you all got home safe and sound!

Holy cow!
default_new_shocked.gif
I shudder to think what might have happened!

What the <bleep> is wrong with people???
default_no.gif

I'm so glad you all got home safe and sound!
I know, it's a head scratcher... We kept trying to think how this could have happened as far as it being an accident but we had all new tires put on in the spring and we've been all over from San Antonio to Tulsa showing this summer and can't figure out how one tire somehow had all the lugnuts come off but the one that broke. I think when the one broke that must have been when the noise started..

It was crazy and I'm thankful for the little voice that told me to check it out even though I wanted to chalk it up to roadnoise.

Thanks

default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked

Holy S#%& !!

You were soooo lucky that you stopped when you did!! That is SCARY!!

Wow! Did they find the lug nuts at the Glenrose parking lot? This happened to me hauling my big rig to Reno show some years ago, two of the lug bolts had broken off and tire was vibrating. Had 8 horses and other stuff........what a scare. Mine was mechanic error, they tightened the bolt too tight and it popped.

Glad you are okay, that is scarry I know. My tire did not come off.

OMG! Linda, that is my worst nightmare.....losing a tire on the tow vehicle. Who would think to check lug nuts EVERY time you get ready to pull out of a parking lot?

Thank God you and your horses and all those other people traveling on I-35 are safe.

Charlotte

WOW! I'm so glad you were alright! I left in a super hurry Sunday to go home to get to the doctor as I was sooooo sick this weekend. Thank god for good friends to give me a helping hand with showing the horses. I ended up with a flat on the trailer right when I pulled into our driveway. So thankful it happened at home and not on the hwy. I was not in the mood to change a tire.

Pretty frightening, glad you made it home okay! I lost a tire on my trailer years ago - was hauling a big horse mare & foal, on a country road with no traffic thankfully, and looked up to see my tire crossing a barbed wire fence into someone's cow pasture... Got the truck stopped (no shoulder of course) and got very lucky. A guy who hauled horses & cattle all over the country happened by at the right time, got it back on the trailer and me back on the road within about 10-15 minutes. Shaken, but safe.

Jan

OMG Lynda--So very glad that you are OK and you listened to that little voice that you heard. Years ago when James was just an infant we were coming home from GA (were in the Army at the time) for a visit. Got off the highway to get fuel and ex said he felt something fibrating with one of the tires so he checked them out. The driver side rear tire only had 2 lugs still on the axle.

Was able to back one of the lugs out and put it opposite the other one and limp down the road closer to a town. Was finally able to get off at a gas station and call a wrecker. Long story short, spent an unexpected night in a motel and lost 8 hours of travel time but go home safely--the person who checked that tire at the shop tightened the lugs too tight and they twisted off at the constant high speed. That was like 35 years ago.

More recently -- 3 years ago I was headed to Tulsa for the "R" Nationals and had stopped at Midway on the Turner Turnpike to check the horses and make a potty stop. Made a quick check of all the tires to be sure they were not overly hot and had good pressure. Got back on the road and not 5 miles down the road started hearing my broken overload spring start to rattle (only did it at low speeds normally) so slowed down and pulled over at the road side rest stop a mile ahead and got out and the driver rear tire had a separation in it about 7" long so waited for the roadside assistance to get there and change the tire but it was the original spare and the service man said not to run it at highway speeds for very long and suggested going into Tulsa on on Hwy 66. Thank heavens I was only 20 miles ways.

This was the same year that when I got to the show grounds I found out about Laura Tennell's horrific accident where she blew out a brand new dually tire, and flipped her rig just outside of I believe Joplin MO. She had some injuries but non that kept her from the show and one horse received some bad injuries but was being treated.

I have since that time always made it a concious effort that at every stop I make I check each tire for over-heating, look to see if the lug nuts are there, check the trailer hitch to make sure everything is still as it should be and that all the doors on the trailer are as they should be. You just never know in this day and age what someone will do to your vehicle when you are away even for a short time.

This is something all of us Ladies who travel alone should get in the habit of--you never know who might have seen you get out of your vehicle--see that you are along--do something to your vehicle and follow you out of the rest area to be the ones that "come to your aid" when you become disabled--you might not get home Ladies.

Always be sure you have some type of roadside assistance and be aware of your surrounding. Because I do travel along I also bring along my pal Smith and Wesson, but I'm licensed to carry.

Again Lynda, so glad you are safe and so is everyone else that could have been hurt by a flying tire. Also CONGRATULATON on your win!!

Latest posts

Back