Giving shots your self

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
For those who vaccinate your horses yourself (all ages) where do you buy your shots?

What do you give your horses per age (starting when with the foals) and what do you give the mares throughout their pregnancy?

We have the vets vaccinate, but know of lots of people who give the majority of the shots themselves, so we're looking into that as well, just don't know where the best place to buy them and what shots/vaccinations you can give yourself and what ones should/have to be given by the vet.

We give EEE/WEE/VEE and west nile ourselves. I don't vaccinate for anything else unless I am taking a horse to alot of shows, and we don't have broodmares. Never had a problem. I just order them through a catalog. I get the west nile shots from my vet.

Just make sure you give them in the neck, or back of the hind leg, or less preferably the chest muscles. Don't give them on top of the haunches. A friend of mine had a boarder that lost a horse after giving it a shot on top of the haunches. It ended up abcessing and they couldn't drain it. The hip muscle became infected and necrotic and they ended up putting the horse down.

The primary shots we buy through catalogs (Valley Vet, Jeffers, Omaha Vaccine...etc...we shop around) are Prestige V -- which covers all the basic vaccine requirements starting from weanling age on up annually, and Pneumabort for pregnant mares which is given in addition to the Prestige.

There are also Rabies and WNV vaccines, but the Rabies needs to be given by a vet. Depending on where you live, some areas give Potomac Fever.

MA

I order my shots online as it is cheeper to buy them in bulk. HAHAHA I have 20 head so it is cheeper if I give them their shots. I think I found the cheepest shots at www.horsewarehouse.com They were great to work with and shipping was free.

outlaw

Can't help you with your topic too much sorry, but i had to comment on what a gorgeous horse you have in your avatar!!! I just love them in their winter woolies.

Years ago, i did have to give one of my bigger horses a series of injections as he was ill. The poor horse! It upset me so much doing it, that everytime i jabbed the needle in his neck, i would quickly withdraw it. :eek:

The poor horse had about 5 jabs in the neck before i finally had the courage to leave it in! I know its not the advice you were looking for, but it bought back memories. It's still so vivid. I could never be a vet or doctor!

Latest posts

Back