Ginny's color post got me thinking

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wee Horse Farm

Reaction score
Angel is not grey, since there is no grey in her background. She is a homebred for us. Her sire was a black leopard and her dam a sorrel pintaloosa with lots of black leopard app behind her. I've researched her color back 5 generations & there's no grey there. She's had one foal thus far & it was a sorrel snowcap filly. Opinions, please..................I've always thot of her as a smokey black, but I've never really SEEN one that was called a smokey. I know the test would tell me, but this is cheaper!!! (and is more fun)

angelright2004.jpg

This is Angel as a newborn foal:

wcfoalrun01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go ahead and get her tested. She could be but u will never know till u test her and its fun to know all the results. After testing a couple I will be doing lots more. Then u really know what the possibilities are when u breed.

The only way your mare could be smokey black would be if she has a cream gene behind her. To be sure, you probably should have her tested.....just for your own piece of mind.

MA

Hmm....ok, but what color would you guys GUESS she is? Just looking for opinions. Doesn't have to be scientific. To look at her, she's not really black. But she's definitely not grey. I don't have her pedigree in front of me, so I can't check for creme gene (documented) right now.........just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only way to tell if a horse is smokey black or not is to test or to just see if she produces any cream babies when not bred to a cream stallion, I dont think it is possible to see if a black horse has the cream gene, if it is, that is only a few, cause most of black horses with the cream gene, you cant see!

-Gage-

Everyone is right you need to cream test for it.

But appy does strange things to color, so if their aren´t any cream diluted parents I think the chance is very small that she is smokey.
wink.gif

Probably just the appy gene making his marks!
yes.gif

The mare in my avatar is lab tested smoky black and the foal with her is palomino pinto (maximum expression sabino but not cremello only one copy of Cream dilution). He you were to see her in 'person" she is dark brown...but is negative for agouti..so not bay..

Latest posts

Back