Getting the horse's attention....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestoso

Reaction score
I have seen people do this using some kind of tail.... a skunk tail? Where can one get such a tail????

I've seen a fake fox tail. Maybe you can get a real one at the taxadermists of look at at pet store for some type of toy that looks like that.

ls it for pictures to perk them up with pointy alert ears??? This winter we killed a red fox and kept the tail and plan on using that l know some of the stallions showing it to them almost freak out and were really alert to what that thing was.....but then part of a deer leg the dog found somewhere and dragged through the mares field did pretty much the same thing. Very alert mares till she got that thing out of there
default_biggrin.png

I would think it's the smell of the real thing, not just a stuffed animal that looks like a skunk. My husband nearly gave a little mare a heart attack years ago by walking out with an elk skin draped over him.....(don't ask LOL)

Jan

I would think it's the smell of the real thing, not just a stuffed animal that looks like a skunk. My husband nearly gave a little mare a heart attack years ago by walking out with an elk skin draped over him.....(don't ask LOL)

Jan

hee hee....husbands

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone -- lurker here!!
default_smile.png

I used to show my Quarterhorse gelding in showmanship and was taught to carry a small crinkly candy wrapper in my outside hand. When asking the horse to square up, I would crinkle it a bit to get his attention and perk his ears up!! It works well for taking posed pictures too.

Good luck

Crinkling a wrapper is awesome! It gets their attention quick.

I'm having problems with making my mare's neck just right. She has her body set up so nice, but when I go to set her neck up, she either stretches it out too far, or up too far, no matter what I do. Or, she'll take a step forward! I have been backing her up/setting her foot back in place every time she takes a step, but she hasn't gotten the message yet. :DOH!

I think it depends on how the horse is feeling that day
default_smile.png
. I have some horses that are just a tad grumpy at home, but perk up ears eyes and all at shows. Ears are hard to get but normally crinkly things work good or smelling thing (skunk tail?? LOL thats a first).

Leeana

Matt, next skunk we trap and shoot here you can have! Shouldn't have to wait more than a week or two>

Linda, How do you get the skunk to wear the gas mask????

Seriously Matt try Kittery Trading Post. Also new Cabelas might have something.

Mark

Latest posts

Back