Getting closer!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
We are finally able to get some liquid from our mares udder. Its mostly clear with a light tint of yellow to it. It is a more liquidy, but has a sticky feel. Not like syrup though. We ph tested it and it was red in the 8.2 I think it was. How quickly can it change? Is it colstrum yet?

colostrum will be white but you may not tell unless you put it on something black. I know a lot used to use those old 35mm film cannisters LOL. Last time I honestly used my black cell phone. I wiped a bit on there and sure enough it was white. Had a heck of a time cleaning it off as it was so sticky.

When its sticky like glue it can change to white very quickly. I had one change in just a couple hours.

Usually you know though because you go to get a sample and the udder has turned rock hard and warm to the touch. When that happens I dont even bother with a sample because that alone tells me foaling will be within a few hours

Oh gosh Dee are you still trying to foal out that mare??? LOL
default_biggrin.png

Just rub it in Marty...just rub it in! LOL! Yes we are!
default_laugh.png

We have her on a cam, but its not hooked up online.

today the liquid still looked clear even on a black surface. it is really sticky, but the consistancy is watery.

she doing great though
default_smile.png
and enjoying all the attention!

Every mare is different and they can change in a heart beat
wink.gif
Generally though, most of my mares get really thick and sticky right before foaling. However, I have had a couple go from only slightly bagged to foaling within a few hours.

I swear she looks up at me and gives me Lil evil chuckles from her stall. The wait is killing me lol. Guess momma knows best though! Praying our mare does good and baby is healthy!

Latest posts

Back