Getting close to getting my driving mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud and looking for thoughts-

I am in the final stage of getting my driving mare. I am so worried because she is 4 hrs away. Here is the scoop. She is A/ R reg. Foals easily. Been shown and not very exctable. Not really exposed to traffic.

In my sitiation I am just begining. I plan on taking her around the farm and in the back of my house it is all woods and trails ( I still have to get a permit, but no big deal). I do not want to be on the road anyway. Occassional dirt bikes are back thier though (scary). But for the most part I am just looking for short pleasure trips!

Anyway, she is an app. She has a few spots on her rump but she appears to be grey. Now if I breed her to a leopard app stallion, what do you think I would get? I want to aviod producing grey. I want spots!!!

Last? does anyone have a detailed web site how to hook a horse up to a cart? I plan on taking local lessons but I dont want to appear to be totally clueless!!!

Thanks!!

This helped me a little bit. I am kind of in the same boat as you as far as driving: www.mini-horse-pony-tack-guide.com/harness.html. Also, look up 4-H driving rules ( I can't find the web address right this sec.) for I believe it was Washington State. They have pics and diagrams of harness and cart parts and descriptions how to use them as well as training tips (which maybe you don't need, but I do.) If I can find a step by step picture guide to attaching the harness to the cart I'll jot it down for you. There's a certain way to attach the traces and I can't really remember it. ( It's been a few years since I have actually hitched up a horse.) I hope this helps.

Regency mini's has the greatest Harnessing 101,

She has some great articles on her site

http://www.regencymini.com/booklet/harness1.shtml

check it out
default_smile.png

Amy

Wow! That's what I have been looking for! Zoey829, I'm glad you started this post. (Thanks to hylights, too!)

That is who I took some driving Lessons from. Jaye is terrific and knows everything about driving. Lea, she is only about 1.5 hours from here.

Jaye is active in Keysttone Miniature Horse club and occasionally puts on a day of driving classes. It is always terrific!

Occasionally has carts and horses for sale. Jaye does CDE, has been driving for years! Sweet lady!

Robin

Jaye is awesome and the Regency site is what I was going to recommend. Definitely take some lessons if you have the opportunity, there's no substitute for it!
default_smile.png

As for the spots, I doubt your mare is a true fading gray if she's still SHOWING spots. Gray fades everything, spots included. So no worries!

Leia

Thanks for the grey info. Can I send you pics to show you her color? I tried to PM you and your box full

Zoey....Can you have an "outrider" come along with you on the trails? That is a person on horseback riding either in front of or beside your cart/wagon as you are driving. That way you won't be totally alone, and another calm non-spooky horse might provide much confidence and reassurance for both you and your mini.

Many moons ago when I bought my cart, the person I bought from gave me a few lessons and helped me a lot. I just happened to have a riding pony that was also trained to drive. When family members moved on or outgrew her I started driving this pony at the age of 21 to keep her busy since she was in too good of shape to retire. It was GREAT to have a gentle pony that trained ME how to drive. I also snapped a photo as she placed each piece of harness to my pony so I wouldn't forget how to attach the harness. That worked great as I was able to correctly harness and put to the cart once I got it home
default_smile.png

What is the reason for the "permit" you mentioned? Something you have to have in your state???

Lori

default_saludando.gif

A true gray can still show some spotting - it is the pigment on the rear where the spots were, but the spots are not true black (or whatever) and are a very faded out spot. I would ask to see pics of the mare as a foal if any are available and that will tell you more.

It is my understanding that gray is dominant? (ok, color gurus, speak up here) so you have at least a 50/50 chance of getting a gray foal.

You have to get a permit to drive your horse on the trails? What is this world coming to?!

Will the folks you are getting her from be willing to show you how to harness up and all? Sometimes if they can let you do it- hands on- they can guide you as you go and show you how to do it right and what to watch for. It will at least get you started with some knowledge and then you could possibly find someone closer to you that is experienced and KNOWLEDGABLE to help you as you go along.

I just love driving- it is so fun and you will get the hang of it in no time!!!!

Yes. We need a permit through the wild life. It is only 27.00 for the yr.

I really dont want a 50% grey foal rate. Yikes!!!

You'll need to find out if one of her parents are a "true gray". If not, then she can't be, but if one is, then she likely is as well (since she looks "white").

I was also going to comment on getting a breeding mare as a driving horse: when you do that, if you are going to breed the mare, you will be missing out on months and months of driving every year, with a mare heavily pregnant and then nursing a foal. If I were looking for a driving horse, I'd either get a mare that I wouldn't be using for breeding, or I'd buy a gelding.
default_yes.gif
JMO

Her sire is reg as a grey app and her mare is a bay.

Her sire is reg as a grey app and her mare is a bay.

The thing is, the sire registered as a "grey app" could be a varnish appaloosa, or even a silver dapple (silver black), since a LOT of silvers used to be, and maybe still are, registered as grey.
default_wacko.png
So that doesn't really tell you much of anything. Do they have any pictures of him? Do you have pictures of the mare that you could send to someone to see what they think of her color? Or even get permission from the mare's owner to post her picture on here?

I was also going to comment on getting a breeding mare as a driving horse: when you do that, if you are going to breed the mare, you will be missing out on months and months of driving every year, with a mare heavily pregnant and then nursing a foal. If I were looking for a driving horse, I'd either get a mare that I wouldn't be using for breeding, or I'd buy a gelding.
default_yes.gif
JMO
This is the reason we just got a second driving gelding Leah

we have 3 mares that drive and there is not much time in the year to drive them when they are also used for breeding

2 of the mares are very nice show mares that we have retired to be broodmares, the other was a broodmare when we purchased her

our silver dapple mare and our chestnut pinto who was

2006 state champion NJPtHA for halter and preformance

we haven't driven either of them very much since 2007

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back