Getting beautiful little filly in September......Questions???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to Minis but not to horses, I grew up with horses but have not owned one since I was 18 (that was a long time ago!!!!). I just retired last year from teaching kindergarten and my children all all grown up. I have a 18 month granddaughter and a 2 month granddaughter and would like them to have the opportunity when they get older to have the fun experience of horses. I researched owning a mini for over a year and felt like it would be a good fit for my family. I found a filly only 20 mins away when she was 10 days old and went to see her right away. After a couple of visits I was in love and so "Misty" will be coming to our home in Sept. We are now in the process of fencing in our vacant lot next to our home/yard and building a small pole barn, I am so excited!! The breeder where she is coming from has been very helpful and we have chatted many times to bring me up to speed on the mini care vs big horse. Now for a few questions to throw out there for some advice from others with experience.........she also has a dwarf that was born 2 weeks before Misty, the breeder is not proud of this and she had no idea as both her mare and stallion were new at her farm. Needless to say she will not breed them again! But she is still looking to sell Josie and only to a good home that will keep her as a pet. I am thinking of giving her that forever home and giving Misty a companion. I have read as much I can find on the dwarfs but would like some opinions???? I will try to attach photo of Josie and of course Misty too. I have read that there are different degrees of dwarfs and that they have health issues. Any info or advice to help me make a decision I would appreciate. Oh and sorry for such a long post!!!! I plan on coming to your forum often and promise not to post such lengthy ones!! Thanks a bunch, Julie

IMG_2307.JPGIMG_2662.JPGIMG_2672.JPGIMG_2674.JPGIMG_2675.JPGIMG_2686.JPGIMG_2691.JPG

Cute babies. I think it's a great idea to get Josie as a companion for Misty. Dwarfs can have health problems and many don't live as long as healthy horses so do expect some medical bills and also may need special care as far as trimming goes. So definitively find somebody who knows how to trim dwarfs correctly. I think Josie looks very cute, but a good vet would help you better as far as health care goes for little Josie if you decide to get her of course.

I agree with Jamie...getting Josie as a companion is a great idea. Just keep in mind that along with owning a dwarf, comes a greater chance of MANY high vet bills, because they can be riddled with health and conformation problems. If you may not be up to that, then I do suggest you try to find another mini as company for Misty. By the way, Misty is a little doll, as is Josie!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww, what a great experience, getting to know your new baby from such a young age. That's very cool. The breeder sounds like a nice person, too. Is it possible to have your equine vet give the little dwarf foal a once over to see if there is anything really obvious that shows up that might be prohibitively expensive.

I think that your giving the wee one a good home would be wonderful.

If you are willing to accept the responability, and are comfortable with the degree of dwarfism, as in you feel it is not so much that you will be in over your head then go for it. Medical issues can arise due to complications that go hand in hand with the dwarfism (resp. issues, digestive issues, joint issues....) but on the other hand, even a seemingly healthy horse can run up the vet bills due to unexpected injuries or illness. As others have said, get a knowledgable ferrier, a great vet, and some backup support (staring here is a wonderful place to begin) but also seek out as many reputable min owners near by as you can. You can never have too much positive support.

Congrats on your new baby girl. Try and do as much research on dwarfs as you can. Maybe even have a vet evaluate Josie. I have a dwarf that I hadn't planned on getting but when I saw him I bought him and home he came. He was very sick with a respiratory problem it took 9 months to get him well as he had foot issues at well. The vet bills were expensive and the sleepless night were plenty. He is 6 years old now and I would do it all over again if I were to come across another dwarf.

I am in no way trying to make the decision for you but as with anything it can be bitter sweet, rewarding and heartbreaking all at the same time.

Good Luck and enjoy, you are going to love minis.

Thank you for all the advice!! I welcome more and if there are any others out there with a dwarf please chime in and give me your opinion and experiences. I want to gather as much info as I can before making a decision on Josie. Can anyone advise me what degree of dwarfism Josie may have?? I know it is only a picture to go by but any ideas would help my research.

Habit Forming after you got your dwarf through the respiratory sickness did you have more health issues??

Overall, she doesn't look to seb=verely affected, however, many times the problems of dwarfism appear and grow on the inside...such as collapsing tracheas, oversized organs crammed into a tight space causing health issues as they get a little older. Also, dwarves normally don't live as long as non-dwarf horses.

It's hard to tell by the pics how bad overall she looks. She looks fine by the pics but the best thing to do is get a pre-purchase exam done by a knowledgeable vet that has worked with dwarfs and tell you their opinion.

From what I can about the dwarf:

-Short neck

-Bulbous head

-Upright nostrils (and constricted)

-Pot belly

-Possible leg deformities (maybe how she's standing)

I can't tell much about her ear length (call me crazy, but after owning dwarf carriers who have produced dwarves I firmly believe ear length has to do with dwarfism.) nor her back. I have had dwarves with roached backs and dwarf carriers with them as well.

I would classify her as a Type 3 dwarf (Brahciocephalic) but not extreme.

Personally, I would get her. Dwarves need playmates as well and do make good ones.

Welcome. You've already been told about the issues of dwarves so I will just add my humble opinion here on other stuff:

1. I think your filly will be weaned way too early at two 1/2 months. The earilest possible weaning around here would be 5 months unless of course there is some medical issue that dictakes an early weaning. Doesn't matter to me if they are eating well,, I look at the mental maturity too.

2. Since you are getting a baby, I would not attempt to bring her home without a friend. She will be upset enough and need one of her own species to rely on and I do start by weaners on ulcer meds right away.. Wether or not you select the dwarf, do by all means have a mini for her.

Wishing you lots of fun and excitement!

Thanks again for all the replies and great advice! I am going to visit Misty and Josie tomorrow.

Misty won't be weaned until Sept/October time frame. I will be going to Germany beginning of Sept so it probably will be Oct before she comes to us. When I visit her tomorrow I hope to talk to her breeder more about when she will be ready. Josie(dwarf) is 3 weeks older and she did say she will wean them at the same time. My barn isn't finished yet and I want to get in all supplies hay,grain, bedding etc before I leave on my trip. It will be FUN getting ready for her!!

Any others with advice on Josie please post.......................

Make sure that their owner isn't going to charge you the same amount for both horses. The dwarf should be drastically cheaper than misty. You are doing her a favor by taking her.

Make sure that their owner isn't going to charge you the same amount for both horses. The dwarf should be drastically cheaper than misty. You are doing her a favor by taking her.
I hardly agree that she is doing the breeder a favor. It's not the breeders fault she produced a dwarf. You're making it sound like its her fault that she produced a dwarf and that she's not worthy or capable of taking care if it. It's rather insulting.

I agree that you should have to pay less for the dwarf. I would never sell my own dwarfs (it feels like a rip off). I would be more inclined to give them away to somebody that I know will take care of them.

I hate it when people say dwarfs are worth more. My own father says that my dwarfs are worth more than our able bodied minis. Ticks me off. To sell a dwarf is taking advantage of the situation and the potential owner especially since they're going to have to spend twice as much for their vet care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Josie is cheaper than Misty. The breeder and I both have heard that people will pay a high price for a dwarf at auction but she would never do that to Josie. She wants her to have a good home with someone that will keep her as a pet and love her.

I went to see Misty and Josie today and they are so cute together!! So far Josie does not seem to have any issues. But I know that health problems can show up as dwarfs age. Totally Addicted you said you own dwarfs, what type of health issues have you seen? And what ages are you dwarfs? I would love to see some pictures of your guys? This is a hard decision for me but I keep thinking Josie needs a forever home and Misty has been with her since they were born ( 3 weeks apart).

Talked to the breeder today, I think we will get a Vet evaluation on little Josie. Took my son to see them tonight, Misty and Josie are always together (with their moms) now that they are out in the bigger field!!

Back