getting a second mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liltnt

Reaction score
I have am oppurtunity to get a second mini. He is another gelding or will be.

Let me explain a bit, Dar_B is a very laid back little guy. He doesnt play. At all. He will do most everything I ask but... He is in a pasture by himself with only the two burros and the big horse across the fence. Up until recently the big horse used to play with him a little in the evening. Actually they would run the fence together. The burros just ignore him totally.

We have connected and he calls to me when he sees me, and he will come a running when I am in his pasture. He is so sweet. Just very lazy

My questions are, will the two of them fight and hurt each other?

Will Dar_B get his nose out of joint or be mad at me for bringing another horse home?

Or will he just like having someone to play with.

I tried talking to dar_B but for some reason he just wont answer me. Although since I mentioned it he seems to be a little happier.

Help please

Absolutely get another one! They may test each other in the beginning, until they decide who is going to be dominate. They will play, Dar_B will not be mad w/you...the two will probably end up best friends, and it will not hurt your relationship w/Dar_B.

Go for it!! At first it might look like they dont get along, but soon they will be best buds and love eachother!! Definatly get another one, your mini will be so much happier!!

they will get along yes.. after 'pecking order'
yes.gif

BUT, if you have 2 they may get dependent on each other.. paddock them 2gether.. but NOT stable! they will whinnie & not listen 2 to you if all they think bout is the other mini
sad.gif
so try to think bout this

think bout the long term cost.. can u afford it?

do your pros & cons!

if its all a go, then have fun & do it!

good luck!

biggrin.gif

desiree

Horses are herd animals, they are happier with another horse. Yes, you may lose a tiny bit of his attention- a small price to pay for his happiness.

Mini~Lover said:
Go for it!!  At first it might look like they dont get along, but soon they will be best buds and love eachother!!  Definatly get another one, your mini will be so much happier!!
424683[/snapback]

rolleyes.gif
Go for it! I just got my second mini last Sat. I wish I hadn't waited so long. It is so much better for your other mini not to be alone and I feel it didn't harm my relationship with my first mini. Of course they have to establish the pecking order but opnce that is done they will become friends.

Latest posts

Back