Gestation ? on maidens

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise

Reaction score
Just wondering how long your maiden mares went before foaling? I have one at 328 days that showed all the classic signs of foaling last week but never progressed into actual labor. All the signs are there, pawing, restless, butt pushing, tail swishing and even tacky milk but still no baby. How many more days can this go on?

I wish I could give you an answer.....the maiden mares can be very nerve wracking! I had one go 345 days! No bag, no milk, and POOF laid down to foal.

I've only had one maiden, her foal was born April 2004.

She foaled at 323 days and didn't do any normal pre-labor signs. Barely a bag to speak of, no squishy hind end, no nothing.

I woke up at 2:30 AM for one of my checks of her and to go to the bathroom, went to lay back down and noticed on the camera that she had pooped in a different spot than normal. Watched her for 10 minutes and down in labor she went. Textbook delivery. Milk came in about 15 minutes after the filly was born.

Our first maiden mare went 360 days this spring. It was from hand breeding no chance of a later date. She atarted showing signs at 330 days. Pawing, rolling, making nest?, never getting comfortable. Never had milk till delivery.

360!!!!!!!!! I'm not going to make it.
biggrin.gif

Maidens can vary on gestation just as much as an experienced mare.

I've had some go as early as 300 days...and my longest was 338 days.

Latest posts

Back